• Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614

Interesting back story on the P17 in North America

Originally Beeman was importing the P17 from Germany and selling it for $130-$150 and at that price it was regarded as a very good buy. Like a lot of easy to knock off products, prirates in China started making a copy and importing it without the Beeman name. Beeman took notice of this and investigated the Chinese version and found it to be of equal quality. Here is where the story takes a twist. Beeman was so impressed at the quality of the Chinese copy that instead of suing them to stop production and export, they cut a deal with the Chinese maker to continue production on the condition that Beeman control all export of the no name gun out of China. Beeman continued selling the German version at the original price and added the made in China copy to their North American sales line at $40 msrp.

Looking at Pryamidair's site it looks like the no name Chinese version has been dropped and is now branded Beeman - but the Beeman P17 msrp is dropped to $45. This is the same gun that people said was a good buy at $150; you probably have to spend $200+ for a better gun in its class. On sale for $29.99 its a no brainer starter pellet pistol. An excellent way to get youngsters started shooting and to have a gun you can shoot in your basement or backyard.

Sorry, MoCo residents, still illegal in MoCo

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I thought they were copying the P3 (which is still being sold).

In any case, the P17 is a great buy for a little plinking! Fam has several and aside from seals going early in one of them I like them a lot. Plus, for that price if you just do a little garage range shooting you'll get a lot out of it for little money.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614

Interesting back story on the P17 in North America

Originally Beeman was importing the P17 from Germany and selling it for $130-$150 and at that price it was regarded as a very good buy. Like a lot of easy to knock off products, prirates in China started making a copy and importing it without the Beeman name. Beeman took notice of this and investigated the Chinese version and found it to be of equal quality. Here is where the story takes a twist. Beeman was so impressed at the quality of the Chinese copy that instead of suing them to stop production and export, they cut a deal with the Chinese maker to continue production on the condition that Beeman control all export of the no name gun out of China. Beeman continued selling the German version at the original price and added the made in China copy to their North American sales line at $40 msrp.

Looking at Pryamidair's site it looks like the no name Chinese version has been dropped and is now branded Beeman - but the Beeman P17 msrp is dropped to $45. This is the same gun that people said was a good buy at $150; you probably have to spend $200+ for a better gun in its class. On sale for $29.99 its a no brainer starter pellet pistol. An excellent way to get youngsters started shooting and to have a gun you can shoot in your basement or backyard.

I held a P11 yesterday and it just wouldn't sight naturally for me. Not sure if it was the big target grips or what.

Both my .177 cal Diana and Gamo's like cheap crosman premier ammo. The heavier the better.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    On sale for $29.99 its a no brainer starter pellet pistol. An excellent way to get youngsters started shooting and to have a gun you can shoot in your basement or backyard.

Not sure the P17 is the best way to get them involved unless an adult is cocking it for them. It is NOT an easy gun to cock for a younger person. Takes quite a bit of effort to close and then have to watch your hands. The fatty part of your thumb will get caught under the cocking arm if you're not real careful.

If anyone is thinking of buying one I'm in Harford CO, you're welcome to check out the 2 I have before you buy. One of mine I made an extended .22 barrel for it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Not sure the P17 is the best way to get them involved unless an adult is cocking it for them. It is NOT an easy gun to cock for a younger person. Takes quite a bit of effort to close and then have to watch your hands. The fatty part of your thumb will get caught under the cocking arm if you're not real careful.

If anyone is thinking of buying one I'm in Harford CO, you're welcome to check out the 2 I have before you buy. One of mine I made an extended .22 barrel for it.

I agree. Probably the average 13 year old male these days can cock one of these, but a 10 yo or a female probably cannot.

In a way, I consider it a safety feature. Start them with this under your supervision and move them up if/when appropriate.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    So for those who have one of these...the Beeman P17...what sort of consistent accuracy might one expect and how good is the trigger?

At 5m rested the same accuracy as the 853 at 10m. The trigger is the BEST trigger I've found on a gun under $100. My barrel isn't pellet picky at all. Most all brands shoot the same size group.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I have not accuracy tested it as I simply shoot standing at 10m but it does shoot well. Not on par with competition pistols but much better than the price would infer and well enough for training. I would expect it to be able to shoot quarter sized 5 shoot groups at 10m.

Older son has a bb repeating pistol that he loves as it is CO2 and he can shoot it quickly, which at his age seems to be the ideal. That thing is horrible in the accuracy department but I can't get him to understand that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom