• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    I requested mine on 04/24/09.

Question, I only own 1 firearm that would qualify as a C&R, it is an M-1 Winchester Sniper Rifle, still in its original configuration. I bought this at a gun show a few years back. Damn, it's been 4 years now, I really need to get out to the range, I have never fired it! Anyway, am I supposed to log this into my book once I get the license? I certainly don’t recall who the seller was, or what the date was. I thought I saw somewhere when surfing the net yesterday that you had to log existing C&R firearms, but I was on so many sites doing research, that I don’t recall where I might have seen this...

Thanks
    Andy

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I requested mine on 04/24/09.

Question, I only own 1 firearm that would qualify as a C&R, it is an M-1 Winchester Sniper Rifle, still in its original configuration. I bought this at a gun show a few years back. Damn, it's been 4 years now, I really need to get out to the range, I have never fired it! Anyway, am I supposed to log this into my book once I get the license? I certainly don’t recall who the seller was, or what the date was. I thought I saw somewhere when surfing the net yesterday that you had to log existing C&R firearms, but I was on so many sites doing research, that I don’t recall where I might have seen this...

Thanks
    Andy

You only have to list your existing firearms after you sell them. The C&R License doen't require you to list guns you bought prior to the license if you never sell them. If you do sell it you log it out as a disposition in your book and I have heard that you state that the firearm was from you personal collection as an acquisition.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    You only have to list your existing firearms after you sell them. The C&R License doen't require you to list guns you bought prior to the license if you never sell them. If you do sell it you log it out as a disposition in your book and I have heard that you state that the firearm was from you personal collection as an acquisition.

Does this include modern weapons that are already possessed or only those 50 yrs. old?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Does this include modern weapons that are already possessed or only those 50 yrs. old?

Only Curios & Relics. It should be noted that SOME modern firearms can be given special C&R status by the BATF, on a case-by-case basis (small commemorative runs, or individual guns that are unique and valuable as collector's pieces)... but that's pretty rare.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Anybody else using this particular Bound Book? How do you like it? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Dunno, but be careful, the format for dealer FFLs and collector FFLs seems different and if that book is set up for dealer FFLs, then it might be the wrong way.

This is what the ATF regulations state it should be for collectors (bottom of page 67): http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/27cfr_part478.pdf

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Dunno, but be careful, the format for dealer FFLs and collector FFLs seems different and if that book is set up for dealer FFLs, then it might be the wrong way.

This is what the ATF regulations state it should be for collectors (bottom of page 67): http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/27cfr_part478.pdf
    Thank you for info., Novus. I looking for a place that sells the exact log book needed for C&R collector. What do you do? Draft up your own log based on page 67?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Thank you for info., Novus. I looking for a place that sells the exact log book needed for C&R collector. What do you do? Draft up your own log based on page 67?

Draft up your own with a ruler.

YOu can also get a variance approval from the ATF to keep it electronically and I think some posters here did that, but I am not familiar with the process.
    Also the phrase "bound book" does not have to be taken literally (anymore). It can be loose leaf paper as long as the pages are numbered and sequential from what I understand. Some people who have been audited or contacted the ATF can give more info on this.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV

Christoff

Nov 5, 2008
    Glen Burnie, Md
    I live in Anne Arundel co. does anyone know who the CLEO is for the Eastern District? I called and they had no clue what a CLEO was. I don't have my appication yet, but I was just trying to get all the information ready to go when I do receive it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I live in Anne Arundel co. does anyone know who the CLEO is for the Eastern District? I called and they had no clue what a CLEO was. I don't have my appication yet, but I was just trying to get all the information ready to go when I do receive it.

If your town or city does not have a police department, then just go with the AA county sherrif or AA county police chief IMO.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I used this.

Anne Arundel County
    Police Department

Chief of Police
    James Teare, Sr

8495 Veterans Hwy
    Millersville, Maryland 21108
    (410)222-8050

County: Anne Arundel

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Mailed off my C&R forms today... by current standards, I should be seeing my C&R by like September-October, assuming it gets approved.

Has anyone ever contacted their Congress critter about getting it sped up? I'm kinda thinking it might be worth a go - efficiency in government, that kinda thing.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I actually had to, because at month five (initial application) i was getting a different story every time i called to find out a status update.

So I called my Rep, Tom Latham, and spoke to an intern of some sort. Told her the deal, and that technically i wasn't in iowa at the time due to military duty, and would really appreciate if he or an assistant had time to look into it.

20 minutes later, my first sergeant is in the office and the phone rings. my boss picks it up (shirt was talking to me) and says "um, shirt? he'd better take this. it's his congressman." :D

Rep Latham actually personally called me back to find out exactly what i was being told, and what I was trying to accomplish.

about 2 hours later, the ATF called, apologized for the "misunderstanding", and let me know my license was on its way.

once in a while, there's a good one that works on the Hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom