• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cow goes mooo

Huh? What?...
    Mar 26, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hello. Figured this was the right place for this topic. If it already has been covered please let me know.

Maryland tax stamps for firearms and accessories. How do they work? If anybody can clarify more information that would be awesome.

For example: I want to buy short barrel length (14') AR-15. I understand I would need to get a Maryland tax stamp for it. I know the tax stamp needs to be with the barrel at all time.

How does the tax stamp work? Do I buy the tax stamp first and then the barrel? Do I have to pay for the tax stamp yearly?

Does anybody know of what items need to be tax stamped? I have heard short barrels and suppressors. What else?

Any clarification information would be appreciated. If the answer is go talk to the State Police, that works for me also.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hello. Figured this was the right place for this topic. If it already has been covered please let me know.

Maryland tax stamps for firearms and accessories. How do they work? If anybody can clarify more information that would be awesome.

For example: I want to buy short barrel length (14') AR-15. I understand I would need to get a Maryland tax stamp for it. I know the tax stamp needs to be with the barrel at all time.

How does the tax stamp work? Do I buy the tax stamp first and then the barrel? Do I have to pay for the tax stamp yearly?

Does anybody know of what items need to be tax stamped? I have heard short barrels and suppressors. What else?

Any clarification information would be appreciated. If the answer is go talk to the State Police, that works for me also.
    It is a federal tax stamp through the ATF. It will be done on what is called a form 1 for a short barrel rifle. You need to register the lower receiver. There are 2 ways to do it.

1. You do the form 1. Get your pictures taken, and get fingerprinted. Then you have to submit it to MSP for them to sign off on. When you get it back from them, you send it off to the ATF with a $200 check and wait 6 months for the federal tax stamp to come back.

2. You do an NFA trust (do a search here, you will find a lot on it). You do not need to get fingerprinted or get MSP signoff). You send in your form 1 with a copy of the trust and a $200 check and wait 6 months.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    2. You do an NFA trust (do a search here, you will find a lot on it). You do not need to get fingerprinted or get MSP signoff). You send in your form 1 with a copy of the trust and a $200 check and wait 6 months.

And you don't need to supply pictures either with a NFA trust.

Assuming you get a SBR tax stamp, you then have to also do a Form (forget the actual form number) to go other places outside of the state you are in. So if you want to go to Va. from MD, you have to send in the form and get it approved and that is only good for 1 year. Like someone else said, 16 inch is good enough for me.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    If you're making your own, it's a Form 1. You apply as an individual or as a corporation (NFA trust), pay 200 dollars, wait 6 months, and when you get your stamp back, you can toss on a >16" upper.

On a Form 4 (purchasing one from a dealer), the process is basically the same, but the lower has to stay at the shop (assuming this is an SBR'ed AR15).

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    NFA

Here you go

First of all, like other have said earlier.. no such thing as a Maryland Tax Stamp... There is however an NFA Tax stamp. This is why owners of exotic toys are known as stamp collectors. Every NFA item requires a Tax stamp... everytime a transfer occurs, that tax stamp must be issued.

Anything less than 16" requires the rifle to be registered as a short barelled rifle. You can directly buy an SBR from a dealer or make one and register it yourself using a form 1 . This can be done as a standard form 1 or via a trust.
    How does the tax stamp work?
    Tax Stamps cost $200 for each weapon or suppressor. Paid once for each form 1 or 4 that comes with the NFA item. NFA ( National Firearms Act of 1934) regulates civilian ownership of short barreled rifles/ shotguns, destructive devices, machineguns , suppressors aka silencers and AOWs or any other weapons. each tax stamp bears the serial number of the respective NFA regulated item.

Do I buy the tax stamp first and then the barrel?
    You should submit an ATF form 1 to ask for permission from big brother prior to doing anything. Buying the parts ahead of time can land you in jail for " constructive intent" Follow the directions on the form, get pictures, prints and take the package to MSP. They will look it over, pay for a CJIS check( by check or Mo) submit to MSP Lic Div. Wait.... about a month. CLEO= Chief law enforcement official ( MSP) will sign off on the back of the form 1, then send it back to you if you pass the local background checks.

Once you get the form 1 with a CLEO signature.. copy everything, take time to double check all data on he forms, signatures etc. Then you enclose a $200 check ( note the serial # of the item on the check) then off it goes to BATFE/NFA branch for further scrutiny.... several months later,,, your form 1 with the corresponding stamp ( crossed out by an ink written serial #) is sent to your address. Make multiple copies... only at this time can you go shopping for a short barrel and other stuff. Note: you can modify and existing weapon into SBR.. only after you get an approved form1.

Do I have to pay for the tax stamp yearly?
    No, it is a one time thing, however, Maryland requires an annual registration of machineguns. it cost 10 bucks , regardless of the quantity of machineguns you own. This only applies to registered machineguns and not other NFA items.

Machineguns, Destructive devices, silencers, short barreled shotguns/ rifles and Any other weapon ( AOWs)

If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself... Go to one of our Industry partners and purchase an SBR from them. They will make sure that things are done right. All will walk you through the process. NFA is a game of patience.. mistakes cost time and money. Sometimes, jailtime....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom