• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clint west

Aug 29, 2015
    maryland
    Maybe if they didn't squander our dues on loading us up with junk mail they might have enough money to get by. They could probably self insure for the cost of their junk mail budget

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Maybe if they didn't squander our dues on loading us up with junk mail they might have enough money to get by. They could probably self insure for the cost of their junk mail budget

I think a lot of people are really under-(or mal)-informed about the difference between the "normal" NRA and the NRA-ILA and NRA-PVF. These are very different animals, with (legally required) different funding mechanisms/channels. You want money to go into litigation? Send it to the ILA. Yes, the larger organization needs what we can provide in order to do the more general PR-ish stuff that has to be done. But the parent organization doesn't fund the lawyers in the trenches. It doesn't work like that. And they don't spend money on political ads, either (that's the PVF).

A lot of the complaints about all of this seem to be associated with a lot of folks (not picking on anybody in particular, promise!) not being clear on how it's all structured. Federal law has a lot to say about the "we need help here in Maryland!" stuff, and how a donated dollar can actually GET to us to help.

redeye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019
    If they hadn’t eagerly encouraged Trump to make me a felon for owning a bumpstock, then I might give a sh!t. But they can both blow me.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Give us the benefit of naming more than one.

They are still the 500 pound gorilla in the 2A lobbying world. You can pick your nose at will, but you better pick your fights carefully.

Yeah, I know the clowns on the Hill were pushing legislation and the confiscation directive stopped that (for now). I'm a life member and support what the original organization does. I can appreciate what the ILA arm does...and send chunks of change to the JPFO, 2AF, MSI, etc when able.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    Sorry if this doesn't belong here or there is already a thread. I look for it, but didn't find anything. Just got a notification from yahoo that NRA warned it may have to shut down because of lack of funding. I hope this isn't a real possibility even if you don't love the NRA they do good for gun rights.

You can read the article here
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nra-...ter-194322998.html?.tsrc=notification-brknews

Thinking back now about the grammar in this post "NRA warns is may "Shut Down", I vote for Fake News.:sad20:

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Thinking this has more to do with NRA responding to Andrew Cuomo’s efforts to pressure banks and insurance companies to stop insuring and extending services to NRA and others in the firearms industry.

I got the letter and this is how I took it. as another scare tactic to try to solicit more funds based on banks being pressured.

GOA does the same thing, trying to scare money out of people all while bashing the NRA

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I think a lot of people are really under-(or mal)-informed about the difference between the "normal" NRA and the NRA-ILA and NRA-PVF. These are very different animals, with (legally required) different funding mechanisms/channels. You want money to go into litigation? Send it to the ILA. Yes, the larger organization needs what we can provide in order to do the more general PR-ish stuff that has to be done. But the parent organization doesn't fund the lawyers in the trenches. It doesn't work like that. And they don't spend money on political ads, either (that's the PVF).

A lot of the complaints about all of this seem to be associated with a lot of folks (not picking on anybody in particular, promise!) not being clear on how it's all structured. Federal law has a lot to say about the "we need help here in Maryland!" stuff, and how a donated dollar can actually GET to us to help.

YES!

I run into this all the time.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member

I recognize the difference, but I’m not working 3 jobs to support them.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I recognize the difference, but I’m not working 3 jobs to support them.

When I put money into the ILA and PVF, it's because I consider it supporting me. But one can only put money where one can. I don't send any more to the general association in the way of dues since I'm a lifer.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Yesterday I read most of an instagram post by militaryarms LLC (255K followers) and NRA was getting very negative feedback from viewers!! Most were saying the NRA caused a lot of the Federal laws on the books in attempts to make money for itself and executives. "Sign this law so we can make money fighting it". It sounds like there is more to this .... staying tuned. This is not MAC (militaryarmschannel). It was not completely against NRA as we need them for their "Certified" and accredited programs that are accepted nationwide. It was enlightening.

"The NRA is imploding. The truth of their financial corruption, the selling of our rights out in exchange for money and power, the internal profiteering of board members and the insane salaries paid to executives, spokesmen and the big black hole of members dues called Ackerman McQueen, is all coming to light. Of the hundreds of millions of dollars the NRA rakes in every year, they only allocate less than 3% to fighting for our rights, if you can call them selling us out at every turn “fighting for our rights”. The rest goes to make a handful of people filthy rich. Hundreds of millions are squandered while the NRA backs bump stock bans and red flag laws. Their house of cards is crumbling to the point the NRA is now suing their partner in crime, Ackerman McQueen, for $40m... the same amount of money the NRA lost last year through profiteering and gross mismanagement of members money. I won’t link to the full article because they dox a friend of mine in it. Some people say we need the NRA. No we don’t, we need people to support the @gunownersofamerica. @iraqveteran8888_official @drewhopkins @9mmsmg @22plinkster"

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    what a scam. Companies as big as the NRA don't go bankrupt unless either the economy dramatically changes or incompetent decisions have been made

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    what a scam. Companies as big as the NRA don't go bankrupt unless either the economy dramatically changes or incompetent decisions have been made

Wouldn't you consider the governor of the state where most of the required financial services companies live trying to choke off a non-profit's ability to buy insurance and do basic banking ... to be truly unusual circumstances? I work with multiple (financially healthy) non-profits. They would all be a very short trip to bankruptcy if they couldn't publish their print and online material or handle their members' dues and other basic functions.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The NRA is chartered as a nonprofit in NY and being investigated there. This fallout with their ad firm (of decades) that created NRATV and won't provide them with an accounting of where the money went (so the NRA can ensure that they're in compliance with nonprofit laws) is a big thing. The ad firm used to be the tail that wagged the dog (except for the NRA-ILA which is independent).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    That Ammoland writeup is pretty indicting. I believe it to be accurate. I never liked Wayne LaPierre - now it's clear why. My spidey sense must have been picking up on some of his wrongdoing. I hope the NRA is able to recover and restore itself. I will not abandon them, but my eyes will be focused on them a bit more now. I do support SAF and GOA as well, but I will not outright cut off the NRA if I see signs of repair.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    That Ammoland writeup is pretty indicting. I believe it to be accurate. I never liked Wayne LaPierre - now it's clear why. My spidey sense must have been picking up on some of his wrongdoing. I hope the NRA is able to recover and restore itself. I will not abandon them, but my eyes will be focused on them a bit more now. I do support SAF and GOA as well, but I will not outright cut off the NRA if I see signs of repair.
    I think monies sent to the NRA-ILA don't go to the ad company budget.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom