• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That is definitely a possibility and on the right track, but it still looks like a lever to me and I'm not sure the placement is ideal. My initial thought was an actual button like on a F-16 yoke.

That does not fire the gun.

There is a trigger on the front of the grip that fires the gun.

Missiles are fired, and bombs dropped, but a button on the top.

Red arrow is gun trigger. Yellow arrow is bomb and missile.

Attachments

• flight-stick-grip arrows.jpg
      flight-stick-grip arrows.jpg
      41.1 KB · Views: 205

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    That does not fire the gun.

There is a trigger on the front of the grip that fires the gun.

Missiles are fired, and bombs dropped, but a button on the top.

Red arrow is gun trigger. Yellow arrow is bomb and missile.

Yup. But I'm only looking at placement not actually same function. I was thinking a button with a downward push as opposed to a trigger with a backwards pull. Possibly using the thumb instead of the first finger for pressing it.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yup. But I'm only looking at placement not actually same function. I was thinking a button with a downward push as opposed to a trigger with a backwards pull. Possibly using the thumb instead of the first finger for pressing it.

M6 aircrew survival gun (squeeze lever):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_Aircrew_Survival_Weapon

M2 "Ma Duce" .50 caliber Machine Gun (paddle pushed by thumb):
    See Figure 071-022-0001-3.
    https://www.armystudyguide.com/content/SMCT_CTT_Tasks/Skill_Level_1/0710220001-sl1-maintain-a.shtml

Original triggers were a right angle lever that directly actuated the the sear to release the tumbler attached to the cock.

Trigger
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/920/1/TR-YORK-TP?PageSize=100

Video of trigger pushing up the sear to release the action:
    http://www.lewis-clark.org/media/qtmovies/inside.webm

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I saw a article about a muzzleloader that had electric ignition. It was a bench rest rifle. I think they wanted to isolate it from all body movement that might effect accuracy.

My rifle whispers this to me when it thinks no one else is listening...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Even a phased plasma rifles in the 40 watt range has a trigger. Buttons were proven to be too unreliable and downright dangerous, especially during cleaning.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    iirc, it was a remington ml, which was formed on the basis of a m700, with an electronic ignition.

*** edit: quick google: it was the remington etronix, not a ml. some funky cartridges??? seems to have died a while ago.

battery in the grip, and trigger just makes the connection. maybe there was even a key like slot to turn it on.

there may have been others.

I saw a article about a muzzleloader that had electric ignition. It was a bench rest rifle. I think they wanted to isolate it from all body movement that might effect accuracy.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You could try a slipgun.

It's a single action revolver with the trigger and sear removed completely, and ,usually had the hammer spur lowered.

You cock it by swiping the hammer back, and fire it by allowing the hammer to slip from under the web of your thumb. No trigger, no trigger finger.

Elmer Keith said it was very fast, but that those who specialized in shooting slipguns were usually not very good with regular sixguns. It was a niche thing.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The problem with a button, especially the solenoid type found on paintball markers, is that they require the use of an electrical system. Electrical systems require a battery and wires, and that adds weight. No matter what, if you are going to use a button as a trigger and still utilize common ammo, you will still have to devise a way to go from electrical signal to a mechanical motion for the hammer to strike the primer. The weight of the electrical components and battery, not to mention reliability will cause issues.

Believe me, I looked at this possibility a while back, to mod a AR-15, but found that the added weight wasn't worth it.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    The problem with a button, especially the solenoid type found on paintball markers, is that they require the use of an electrical system. Electrical systems require a battery and wires, and that adds weight. No matter what, if you are going to use a button as a trigger and still utilize common ammo, you will still have to devise a way to go from electrical signal to a mechanical motion for the hammer to strike the primer. The weight of the electrical components and battery, not to mention reliability will cause issues.

Believe me, I looked at this possibility a while back, to mod a AR-15, but found that the added weight wasn't worth it.

I am thinking of a mechanical button, not electrical. I see no reason why it would add any weight. Also being a smaller form factor, you could place it anywhere on the grip, actuated by any finger.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I am thinking of a mechanical button, not electrical. I see no reason why it would add any weight. Also being a smaller form factor, you could place it anywhere on the grip, actuated by any finger.
    Mechanical would still need a way to increase that small movement into enough movement to trip the disconnector and allow the hammer to be released. Also looking at how to get it to reset consistently creates more problems. You have limited mechanical energy from a button press, no matter what you try to do with the design. It comes down to simple physics.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Mechanical would still need a way to increase that small movement into enough movement to trip the disconnector and allow the hammer to be released. Also looking at how to get it to reset consistently creates more problems. You have limited mechanical energy from a button press, no matter what you try to do with the design. It comes down to simple physics.

What about a double set trigger with a button release for the trigger when set?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    What about a double set trigger with a button release for the trigger when set?

It still comes down to mechanical energy. If it is stored in springs, you will have very little movement to cause it to trip and the firearm to discharge. Essentially it will be like a new Sig P320 that goes off when smacked. Extremely limited engagement causes severe safety issues. The lack of mechanical energy from pressing a button also will cause issues in allowing the reliable function of the firing mechanism.

The easiest way to demonstrate this is a solenoid on the trigger of a paintball marker, even though the system requires a electrical system to ensure function. The amount of movement with the solenoid is so minute that it would be impossible to create a safely functioning firearm with that little movement to fire it. But when you look at the other side of it with autococker paintball markers, they do not use an electrical system, nor do they utilize the solenoid system to discharge the marker. They use a standard trigger, with some modifications that we won't get into here so we don't muddy the waters, but by and large autocockers operate the same way a normal firearm fires. Mechanical energy causes the firing system to operate.

The physics of using a button to discharge a firearm or even a paintball marker, require the use of an electrical system of some sort, in order to ensure reliable function and safety. That is the inescapable truth.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Harder to do when you are holding the firearm. With an aircraft stick, you are not holding it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom