• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I heard that Zenith is on the verge of going under. Not to say their guns aren’t good, just that the comapany doesn’t have their corporate chit together.

That's interesting since Zenith is just the importer. MKE from Turkey actual builds the firearm. Could they have forgotten how to import these firearms or is the problem with MKE?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    That's if this pistol is ever going to come about. The rumor of the PTR MP5 has been circulating since the Shot Show in 2016. Sure, they have something to show us but by their own admission, the earliest you're going to see it is this time next year. Why would it take them 3 years to put out a firearm that is nothing more than a copy of some other manufacturer's design?

https://modernrifleman.net/2016/05/31/ptr-working-on-mp5-clone/

It's a little more complicated than that. PSA still can't get their AKs right after how long, and that is the most common gun on the planet?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It's a little more complicated than that. PSA still can't get their AKs right after how long, and that is the most common gun on the planet?

That's because they are PSA. The same company that takes 20 days to get an ammo order out the door. :innocent0

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Reverse engineering dimensions is easy. Reverse engineering metals and heat treatment is harder. Developing a cheaper way to do things while still being the same quality is also hard.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Reverse engineering dimensions is easy. Reverse engineering metals and heat treatment is harder. Developing a cheaper way to do things while still being the same quality is also hard.

The Chinese got the M14 receiver built to what many say are the same quality of Springfield. I'm not saying it's easy, but it should be able to be done. PSA is just a bad company. MKE is a good company. PTR's reputation has yet to be made.

I'm not saying PTR won't make a good MP5 but they've been going at it since 2016 and still won't have something on the market until AT LEAST 1Q of 2019. For me, this doesn't instill much confidence in their product.

YMMV

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The Chinese got the M14 receiver built to what many say are the same quality of Springfield. I'm not saying it's easy, but it should be able to be done. PSA is just a bad company. MKE is a good company. PTR's reputation has yet to be made.

I'm not saying PTR won't make a good MP5 but they've been going at it since 2016 and still won't have something on the market until AT LEAST 1Q of 2019. For me, this doesn't instill much confidence in their product.

YMMV

The Chinese did it with a state owned factory in a communist command economy. If the military asked for it, they did it, regardless of whether it was a marketable product.

MKE was a state owned factory that got the TDP and tooling from H&K and are still a large defense contractor. The military bought the TDP and tooling, and paid their own people to build it.

PSA and PTR are private American businesses that need to turn a profit. Keeping their own cost low enough below what the items sell at is their goal over making it exactly as the original.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The Chinese did it with a state owned factory in a communist command economy. If the military asked for it, they did it, regardless of whether it was a marketable product.

MKE was a state owned factory that got the TDP and tooling from H&K and are still a large defense contractor. The military bought the TDP and tooling, and paid their own people to build it.

PSA and PTR are private American businesses that need to turn a profit. Keeping their own cost low enough below what the items sell at is their goal over making it exactly as the original.

Not sure if the "state owned" has do do with. MKE and Chinese build weapons like their lives depend on it, because they do. IWI makes some of the most reliable battle-tested weapons on the planet too. So do a lot of other private companies. like Sig Sauer. Also, Glock, although it chokes me to say that. Would PSA win a military or LEO contract for some of its weapons? heck no. QA is not cheap. You have to actually reject guns, rather than sending them on to customer guinea pigs.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Does it matter who and what they are? There are differences in their product quality. Go ahead, buy an AK from PSA.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Not sure if the "state owned" has do do with. MKE and Chinese build weapons like their lives depend on it, because they do. IWI makes some of the most reliable battle-tested weapons on the planet too. So do a lot of other private companies. like Sig Sauer. Also, Glock, although it chokes me to say that. Would PSA win a military or LEO contract for some of its weapons? heck no. QA is not cheap. You have to actually reject guns, rather than sending them on to customer guinea pigs.

+1

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Hey guys,

Just to chime in on PSA. I've had nothing but good service from them. Now, I do stick with their "premium" line. Their premium BCG's I think are excellent (likely from FN). I have a 20" premium upper with a CHF FN barrel. Operates flawlessly. I have not played with their AK, KS lines, etc. But as far as their AR stuff goes, I think they're fine.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Does it matter who and what they are? There are differences in their product quality. Go ahead, buy an AK from PSA.

That's precisely why I'm not buying an AK from PSA. I'll buy one from a factory that made them during the Cold War and knows how to make them. I haven't owned an American made or built AK yet.

Of course it matters who they are because it matters why they're building it. State factory with the proper specs beats American small business trying to make a profit without the proper specs.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Hey guys,

Just to chime in on PSA. I've had nothing but good service from them. Now, I do stick with their "premium" line. Their premium BCG's I think are excellent (likely from FN). I have a 20" premium upper with a CHF FN barrel. Operates flawlessly. I have not played with their AK, KS lines, etc. But as far as their AR stuff goes, I think they're fine.

Their AR10 rifles leave a little bit to be desired. I had to do a lot of work to make mine reliable. Including having to drill out the barrel's gas port to standard diameter. They also had to compensate for not enough gas, so they added a light buffer and spring. Those had to be replaced. As a disclaimer, I bought it second hand from the original owner who got fed up with the rifle and sold it for a loss.

The thing was really screwed up.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

YMMV

The Chinese did it with m14 tooling we sold Taiwan and USGI drawings, brought in Ron Smith (Smith Enterprises) and his extensive m14 knowledge.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    If it's not a standard AR15, stay away from PSA. Did you guys already mention the release date is sometime in 2019............ LOL don't hold your breaths.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    For those interested, here is the web page for the PTR MP5 pistols.

http://www.ptr-us.com/products-9-x-19mm.php

"Borrowed" from another forum...

LiTiqr6h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom