• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I moved to the next ravine over after waking for about an hour scouting around. Much shallow slope, much more open woods. I bumped a deer out of there right after I started walking. The hill sides flatten out and meet at about a half acre field and I was at the edge of that texting on my phone standing in place for a couple of minutes when it hopped up about 100yds away and took off down the ravine.

Went back up the hill on the one side of the ravine towards my car and I was going to start it up, get the heat going and warm up for half an hour. I detoured along the hillside instead and found the woods really open on both sides of the ravine, so I plunked down, scrapped a nice rest out of the ground with my boots, stuck my pack under my head and alternated dozing and sitting up with rapt attention as well as trying to keep my toes warm (lesson learned, 400 thinuslate with two sets of winter socks is NOT warm enough when it is barely above freezing to sit for 6 hours). The 30 degree slope made it all possible.

About 20 minutes before sunset the clouds cleared off and the sun lit up the tree tops.

A little button buck walked down off the hillside across from me straight towards me. I was really expecting something to come up the ravine and not straight across from it. He didn’t present a very good shot and when he hit the bottom and wasn’t turning to follow it, was about to head straight up, but he gave me a 3/4 towards profile. I should have aimed right another couple of inches to get both lungs, but smashed his right from shoulder/leg intersection and one lung. He limped about 25 yds before he tipped over on the hillside and couldn’t get up. I had to put a 2nd round in him when I got up to him a few seconds later.

So a year of small deer for me again. Just as well, the little ones are the tastiest.

Also happy as hell to finally wash away all of the “almosts” and “screw-ups” between first day or archery until now. Plus, first time hunting GRSF and happy to have a deer to my credit out of it as well.

Plus first deer with that Sako. Time to build that Grendel upper for the late season!

Congrats on killing something.

Another year of "little deer". I told you not to expect, each and every year, a monster like you killed your first year. You are going to have a tough time killing something that big again, unless you get on some private land and the herd is managed decently. Hopefully, you got that monster mounted and I can take a look at him this weekend.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    The lack of shooting this year is very surprising. Several other hunters in Fred Co that i have talked to have noticed it too. Very strange.

I'm having the same problem down the road from you. Hardly any deer movement. I still haven't gotten anything. I'm going to go after them pretty hard starting this weekend though. I need to fill the freezer.

I've noticed a lack of fawns in the area too since last year. I think I found the culprits though...Saturday when I was hunting in the snow, on my walk back to the house I noticed a large coyote had been sitting behind me about 50 yards away from where I set up. I couldn't get a shot on it though. I saw two more in the area before I got home.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I'm having the same problem down the road from you. Hardly any deer movement. I still haven't gotten anything. I'm going to go after them pretty hard starting this weekend though. I need to fill the freezer.

I've noticed a lack of fawns in the area too since last year. I think I found the culprits though...Saturday when I was hunting in the snow, on my walk back to the house I noticed a large coyote had been sitting behind me about 50 yards away from where I set up. I couldn't get a shot on it though. I saw two more in the area before I got home.

Yep, i agree. I know somebody that lives around the corner from you and has killed a few coyotes already.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Another year of "little deer". I told you not to expect, each and every year, a monster like you killed your first year. You are going to have a tough time killing something that big again, unless you get on some private land and the herd is managed decently. Hopefully, you got that monster mounted and I can take a look at him this weekend.

Just the antlers mounted, but yeah by all means take a gander when you are over. I don’t think I’ll be allowed to show and tell much more than that. Though I might have my crossbow mount done, made from the spike’s antlers I got this year during bow season. He was decent sized for a spike.

Not complaining. I’ve learned the little ones taste the best. That said, the quality is higher, but 50lbs of decent venison kind of beats out 20lbs of excellent venison sometimes. The little ones are also way easier to drag or carry out and it is esier to convince my wife I have to go for another one “gee honey, little guy, only got one bag of meat back from the butchers”.

Just kind of sad I missed that good sized 6-point in early ML. No monster, but looked all of a 16 inch spread and probably 130lbs love weight.

ML has a scope now. Hopefully it’ll help me redeem myself next year (or if late ML isn’t dead, in a couple of weeks).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Also, besides, Outrider always makes me feel jealous (he absolutely earns that right).

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Hopefully I'll get to post in here next week. My oldest son and I are going on our first ever hunting trip this weekend.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Hopefully I'll get to post in here next week. My oldest son and I are going on our first ever hunting trip this weekend.

You've been talking about someone teaching you the deer hunting ropes on here fo-eva.

Best of luck to you and your son on your first hunting trip.

Bow? Rifle? Shotgun? .50BMG?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    You've been talking about someone teaching you the deer hunting ropes on here fo-eva.

Best of luck to you and your son on your first hunting trip.

Bow? Rifle? Shotgun? .50BMG?

Rifle. We're bringing a marlin 30-30 and a 300blk AR.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    .30-30 is THE all time American Bambi whacking round.

Do have the 300BLK ammo selection all ironed out?

Yes. Zeroed it with Winchester deer season xp 150gr. I know a lot of people handload 300blk but this hunt is factory ammo only.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Yes. Zeroed it with Winchester deer season xp 150gr. I know a lot of people handload 300blk but this hunt is factory ammo only.

That's a good middle of the road bullet weight.

If it's being sold as a hunting round, bullet expansion will be adequate.

This picture has been invaluable to me as a hunter. Study it and it will help you immensely.

thL1PNML9L.jpg

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    That's a good middle of the road bullet weight.

If it's being sold as a hunting round, bullet expansion will be adequate.

My son is a crack shot with it. He had never shot anything past 25yd before. Last weekend at the range he put the First 3 rounds out of the AR in a 4 inch circle at 100 yd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom