• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    My brother just picked up these three from an estate. The Chiefs Special is by far the nicest of the lot, shows very little use. Serial 3488xx

The other Smith I am guessing is a Model 10 with some mods? The bobbed hammer and cut trigger guard appear factory but I have never seen one like this. Very professionally done if not factory. Serial is 8339xx, any info would be great.

The Colt is well worn 1918 Army Special 38. It's all there except for one grip having a repair. Minor pitting on barrel but the bore looks good. Any idea of value on this? Serial 4296xx

t5jUZ8F.jpg

o7OFSbC.jpg

80bIfjM.jpg

JwGWjuw.jpg

op1Ba4c.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm just here for the pics.

Sweet Model 36. Your brother found some time pieces.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

python

Apr 15, 2010
    The M&P (what you're calling a model 10) has aftermarket modifications. Generally, these are called "Fitz Specials". You can google it for details. It's probably an iteration of a model 1905. The stocks on it look really nice from the photo. They could be Ropers or Sandersons. A little research might show them to be worth more than gun itself. The Army Special is a $400-500 gun on average, but of course condition will dictate the value. I have one for sale on this forum for $375.00. It was re-blued at some point in its life. The Chief's Special has some age on it based on the flat cylinder latch and the diamond escutcheon stocks.

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    check under the grips of the cut one and see if there's a screw. It's an early one for sure before they started assigning numbers (I think 55) so technically it's considered a M&P. It 99% sure didn't come from the factory that way and hurts it's value IMHO but still cool

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    check under the grips of the cut one and see if there's a screw. It's an early one for sure before they started assigning numbers (I think 55) so technically it's considered a M&P. It 99% sure didn't come from the factory that way and hurts it's value IMHO but still cool

Yes, there is a screw under the grip. I am also pretty sure it's not a factory gun, but it was very well done, to the point that it looks factory. According to some it's not that hard to do. The whole 'Fitz Special' thing is a great story, too bad he only did Colts.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    The stocks on it look really nice from the photo. They could be Ropers or Sandersons. A little research might show them to be worth more than gun itself.

Thanks for this info. After some checking I am convinced they are Ropers. And after looking at many pics of Ropers, I have yet to see a set of this style.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Yes, there is a screw under the grip. I am also pretty sure it's not a factory gun, but it was very well done, to the point that it looks factory. According to some it's not that hard to do. The whole 'Fitz Special' thing is a great story, too bad he only did Colts.

All S&W K,N, and L frame revolvers have a screw in the grip frame. It's called a strain screw. It keeps tension on the main spring so the hammer will strike with consistent force. BTW, for those who don't know, it's not an adjustment screw for lightening the trigger pull. If it is backed out, it creates light primer strikes and misfires. There are proper ways to adjust the action, and that is not one of them. It is meant to be bottomed out in the frame. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    All S&W K,N, and L frame revolvers have a screw in the grip frame. It's called a strain screw. It keeps tension on the main spring so the hammer will strike with consistent force. BTW, for those who don't know, it's not an adjustment screw for lightening the trigger pull. If it is backed out, it creates light primer strikes and misfires. There are proper ways to adjust the action, and that is not one of them. It is meant to be bottomed out in the frame. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Different screw. MPDC was referring to the third screw that holds on the side plate, which is hidden under the grip panel.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Thanks for this info. After some checking I am convinced they are Ropers. And after looking at many pics of Ropers, I have yet to see a set of this style.

If in fact they are Ropers, they could be worth in the $1K range or more depending on the condition. Another thing interesting about that revolver is that it has a round butt. If it is a model 1905 M&P, that would be fairly rare. It could have converted when it was "Fitzed" or come from the factory that way.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Different screw. MPDC was referring to the third screw that holds on the side plate, which is hidden under the grip panel.

They ALL have that one too, and have for well over 100 years. The one at the top of the sideplate was eliminated in 1957. The one in front of the trigger guard was eliminated around 1960. Model numbers started in 1957.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom