• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I have a S&W model 28. Every once in a while, when I've been shooting it, the cylinder won't advance when pulling the hammer back. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. I opened the cylinder and the extractor star ratchet appears to have burrs on each of the knobs. It may be that it's just getting worn and needs to be replaced. Has anyone run into this problem before?

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I knew I left something out...

cylinder.jpg

Different angle:
    cylinder2.jpg

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Metal burs do not sound good.
    I have had a problme with my .357 not advancing but it was ammo related. I have to have the primer completely seated or the cylinder will not advance.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Metal burs do not sound good.
    I have had a problme with my .357 not advancing but it was ammo related. I have to have the primer completely seated or the cylinder will not advance.

I get the same problem with 3 different brands of ammo, both .38 special and .357 magnum. All commercial loads. Sometimes mine will not advance with no ammo in it, if I'm just pulling the hammer back but it's rare.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Does the hammer bind when trying to pull back, or the hammer comes back with ease and the cylinder just slips or doesn't move?

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I had something similar happen to me years ago with factory ammo on a .357 wheel gun (Hammerli). Turned out what was going on was that the primers were blowing out backwards, towards the pin, and debris from the primer, still attached to the empty casing, was obstructing the cylinder's advance. This happened with several different makes of factory ammo. Before I had a chance to resolve/fix the problem the gun was lost to a burglary (as opposed to a boating accident...) but that might give you a clue to look at...

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Does the hammer bind when trying to pull back, or the hammer comes back with ease and the cylinder just slips or doesn't move?

The hammer binds. I can only pull it a few millimeters and it won't go any farther unless I advance the cylinder with my other hand. Then, it goes just fine. I can shoot off 6 bullets with no problem using this method if it binds. But, sometimes, it doesn't bind. I clean my guns immediately after shooting, also.

Thanks Beltbuckle. I did look at my ammo and also for any extra pieces of metal when this happened but so far, nothing. It even happens with no ammo in it.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    It's out of timing. It needs to go see a S&W doctor. Not a big deal. Couple of small parts and a couple of whacks with a mallet.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    How long have you owned the S&W 29, did you buy it NIB? How many rounds through it? I am having a similar problem w/ my Ruger minus the visible spurs and it only has about 100 rounds through it. I have suspicions on what it may be and I'm taking mine to GC to have Dan look at it. If he can confirm and fix, that will be cool...if not I'll have it sent to Ruger to look at. I'd suggest having a gunsmith check it out and if no luck contact S&W.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    smiths and burrs do not play well together-- dress the parts or have them done by pro. check fired cases for impact points on primers helps point out timeing issues. If you do the dressing don't forget to do the internal parts--hammer/trigger.

mdsuave13

Zombie Survival Expert
    Nov 8, 2007
    ellicott city
    take the gun, go get yourself a gallon of kerosene and submerge the gun under the kerosene in a plastic bin or a cook pot, dry fire it in the kerosene (until it works perfectly, probably around 20-50times at least) and it should be good to go after. You will also want to move the extractor rod and spin the cylinder as well to work the kerosene into all the nooks and crannies of the gun... It sounds like it could be gunked up inside the trigger and hammer mechanisms, i recently had the exact problem and after the kerosene bath, it was good as new (ps, you will want to take your grips off if they are wood)

after the bath, use some air in a can or an aircompressor with a blowgun nozzle to blast the grime and kerosene out of it. Then liberally use an oil to protect the finish and moving parts.

should be 100% afterwards...

soot and residue will do this from time to time...

Pictaker

Mar 7, 2008
    Central MD
    This an older pinned and recessed gun judging by the cylinder face. If you look closely at the ratchet point at the 9:00 position in the first picture it is showing some unusual wear and burrs. this may be contributing to the problem. this is not uncommon in older S&W N frame revolvers. Send it back to S&W they will repair it and also check the other parts relative to timing and fix them at the same Time.
    GREAT REVOLVER !!

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Chewed up ratchet teeth means the hand is not engaging them properly. I'd look at it and pull the hammer & hand out for inspection. Possibly debris in the hand slot or even a broken spring.

Etek

Etek
    Mar 17, 2009
    Shady Side
    The 'Hand' spring may be worn out. Send it back to S+W and they'll replace worn part(s) and deburr or replace cylinder.
    It's binding for sure so clean that puppy first!

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    This was my first gun bought about 12 years ago, used from another guy who had it for about 5 years. I took it shooting occasionally over the years but no idea how many rounds went through it for sure. It started acting up this past fall.

Thanks EVERYONE for the helpful comments! This really helps me out. Since it is so old and has never been gone over from the inside out, I think sending it to S&W would be simple and save me a lot of further frustration down the road.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    This happened to my Taurus once. Only a few months old and 57 rounds thru it. Played with it for a few minutes then it worked again. :( I attributed it to being, well, a Taurus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom