• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdsuave13

Zombie Survival Expert
    Nov 8, 2007
    ellicott city
    looks great, love the white crayon to highlight the "history" thats a GREAT idea.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    fftootall - Thanks for your business. Glad to help you out!
    mdsuave - Thanks!

I took it out and shot it for the first time this weekend at an open range at a stripping mine in NE PA. I'm very happy with the accuracy of it! Also, everyone commented on the stock. I'm so glad I did it. It makes it look great while keeping it looking original.

I still have shellac available. If anyone wants some, please PM me and I'll send it off right away.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    Here's mine. dont think i did too bad of a job for my first time doing anything like this. About two coats. When the wood was stripped i started notcing so many more marks and engravings i could not see before. i was almost tempted to leave the wood bare but shes back in russian sticky again

100_6842.jpg

100_6843.jpg

100_6844.jpg

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    :mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

its what makes shooting 150+ rounds through it at the range possible.

Hey I think I see some stuff on the corner of your mouth....it looks....like...bull....s..h..i..t..

No I'm just giving you a hard time! I can only imaging what it would feel like without that pad after 150+ rounds go through it!

Do you ever shoot with it off? I've only ever shot the Mosin we've got without that pad on...but my brother's has one on it...

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    While I haven't shot 150 rounds I have done about 30 with no pad and didn't have any pain or discomfort. I do however has some built in cushion if you knwo what i mean.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Those look great. I got to see 2AForever's as well that he just redid with Shellac from vette97, they both look terrific.

He has those buttpads as well and they make a heck of a difference when your shooting any amount of volume through that gun.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    :mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

Hey I think I see some stuff on the corner of your mouth....it looks....like...bull....s..h..i..t..

No I'm just giving you a hard time! I can only imaging what it would feel like without that pad after 150+ rounds go through it!

Do you ever shoot with it off? I've only ever shot the Mosin we've got without that pad on...but my brother's has one on it...

ive shot about 45 without the bad in a trip. by the last few its almost like pulling teeth. the shoulders sore i know whats coming and i reluctantly pull the trigger. Last range trip i went through all the ammo i took which was 150. It let me have some real fun with it. The lil ruskie is pretty damn accurate when ur shoulders not slammin metal all afternoon

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    cool refinish! heres some info on shellac...

Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug to form a cocoon, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand.[1]. It is processed and sold as dry flakes which are dissolved in denatured alcohol to make liquid shellac, which is used as a brush-on colorant, food glaze[2] and wood finish much like a combination of stain and polyurethane. Shellac functions as a tough all-natural primer, sanding sealer, tannin-blocker, odor-blocker, stain (pigment), and high-gloss varnish. Shellac was also once used in electrical applications as it possesses good insulation qualities and it seals out moisture. It is also often the only historically-appropriate finish for early 20th-century hardwood floors, and wooden wall and ceiling paneling.

From the time it replaced oil and wax finishes in the 1800s, shellac was the dominant wood finish in the western world until it was replaced by nitrocellulose lacquer in the 1920s and 1930s. It remained popular in the Southern United States through the 1950s and 1960s. It continues to be a popular candy glaze for pill shaped sweets such as Skittles.

David

Aug 31, 2008
    Vette was good enough to pass along some of his shellac flakes and I tried my hand at the authentic look for my 91/30.

fyUhkpKNYDx2fr7jJwAoaw

Y4uN5HPUxE7lINtIsuuzFQ

I was pretty pleased with how it came out. Now I just need to get a front sight on there.

David

Aug 31, 2008
    Yeah, I guess I don't know as much about this internet gizmo as I thought.

I used only a fraction of an ounce for one gun. It really goes a long way. I'm considering stripping the polyurethane off the M44 and redoing it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom