• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    Anyone doing build parties or otherwise offering any advice/guidance? I see a few threads but most are a year or two old. I'm wanting to build an AK SBR from a registered receiver.

Also, what is the general understanding on bending flats at this point and building an SBR or pistol from that path (or from a channel 80%, etc)? As I understand it, the AK platform ban is for Rifles only. Hence FFL's selling pistols and offering smithing for SBR conversion following stamp receipt. As it is not illegal to fabricate one's own firearm (not for sale) I don't see how it could be illegal to build a MD compliant pistol (or MD/Fed compliant SBR) from a flat acquired after 9/30/13. I'd be interested in pursuing this option but the heat treat/quench is a bit off-putting if nothing more than due to the additional equipment/facilities needed.

Finally, why are MD FFL's not selling ID'd complete AK receivers? Is it that no one FFL wants to be the first guinea pig to jump in the fire (wouldn't blame them)? Or is there more to it? I realize this relies on the honor system but so does selling AR lowers and trusting the buyer to build an HBar rifle or a pistol or SBR.

Thanks in advance for any help or clarification.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I saw an AK receiver in the case at Freestate. Didn't ask about it, but it was there. It was on black friday.

They should be completely legal because we can build pistols and SBRs with them

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    They should be completely legal because we can build pistols and SBRs with them

That is exactly my point. Whether partial or complete receiver should not make a difference either, as I see it. But, I'm neither a lawyer or a politician...

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    A local in PAsadena able to help build AKs?

Hmm. Is this WhatACountry deal all that is needed with a barrel?

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was hosting AK build parties but did not have one in the fall '15. Maybe once it warms up in the spring I'll host another one. I have all of the tooling and jigs to build an AK from start to finished parkerized rifle. I would be willing to help guide someone through a build but you must perform all of the work yourself since I am not a FFL gunsmith.

If I host another build party there would have to be some guidelines because I will not entertain or have any involvement with any questionable or illegal builds.

1. To build an AK rifle it must be a pre-FSA '13 receiver purchased or made before October '13, or finishing a build that you started before October '13. Do not show up and ask to fold a receiver from a flat to build a post FSA '13 AK variant rifle.

2. SBR builds with an approved Form 1 allowed. Bring the Form 1 to the build party. If you have an approved Form 1, I would allow the builder to use my jigs to fold a new receiver from a flat.

3. Pistol builds on post FSA '13 recievers allowed. I would allow pistol builds to use my jigs to fold new reciever from a flat but the receiver MUST have a riveted rear pistol trunnion installed before leaving the build party.

4. Anyone looking to modify, repair, refinish their legally owned AK variant rifle, provide help or guidance to lesser experienced builders, or just shoot the breeze, are welcome to attend.

Does this sound fair?

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Sounds fair to me. I've been to two of your build parties and everyone has been very respectful. If that trend continues, I would love to see the parties continue. The knowledge shared in such a short period of time is tremendous.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds fair to me. I've been to two of your build parties and everyone has been very respectful. If that trend continues, I would love to see the parties continue. The knowledge shared in such a short period of time is tremendous.

My biggest problem with these build parties is emptying out the four car garage so there is enough space to work. I haven't mention that I have added yet another project ('63 Sunroof Beetle) to my garage?!?!:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 459

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Glutton for punishment.... You gotta at least keep the wheels on them:D. Looks like another great project. Hope you got a pretty good deal with the front end damage.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Glutton for punishment.... You gotta at least keep the wheels on them:D. Looks like another great project. Hope you got a pretty good deal with the front end damage.

I do my own body work. A front clip is being graphed on and the hood is straight now.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Wait for word on TC's build party. There will be plenty of knowledgeable members there to guide you through it step by step.

Yeah, I have one that's 1/2 done. Some squirrelly guy was helping me, but he mumbled something about BBQ and next thing I know he's in TX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom