• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I would argue that there's already a carve-out for holders of a medical marijuana card. Section 13-3313(a)(1) of the Health-General Article of the MD Code provides that a qualifying patient may not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or any civil or administrative penalty . . . or be denied any right or privilege, for the medical use of or possession of medical cannabis."

That seems pretty clear to me that a gun owner cannot be stripped of his or her right to own/possess/use that gun on account of being a card holder, nor can he or she be prohibited from owning/possessing/using a gun that he/she acquired after obtaining a card. I am not familiar with the issue, but I believe that the State Police has taken some position to the effect that they won't approve a 77R unless a patient has relinquished a card for 12 months, but, if that's true, I think that's phooey.
    This sounds like the MSP are making their own laws ? I'm not surprised, they are continually allowed to do that here in MD.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I was responding to the issue of Maryland law. With that said, I’m curious as to whether you can point me to a provision of the GCA of 1968 that would require a card holder to relinquish his/her firearm on account of that card (hint: I don’t think you will be able to find one).

ATF guidance is it's against federal law. Letter won't post for some reason.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Emailing 092611-atf-open-letter-to-all-ffls-marijuana-for-medicinal-purposes.pdf
      56.6 KB · Views: 180

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Except that ... this guidance really relates to Form 4473 and the acquisition of a firearm from a dealer. I don’t disagree that a person who has a card would be prohibited from acquiring and thereafter possessing a firearm that he/she obtained from a dealer. I’m talking about a person who lawfully acquired a firearm and then was issued a card. Note that Section 922(g) actually prohibits a listed person from “possess[ing] in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition.” Whether the ATF would say that this restriction kicks in on the basis that, at one time, the firearm affected interstate commerce ... I don’t know.

Delegate Robin Grammer

State Lawmaker
    Mar 7, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I can tell you about the state of the issue here in Maryland.

The federal laws and regulations are prohibitive. However, the states are taking action:

https://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.c...rms-ownership-based-on-medical-marijuana-use/

In fact, here in Maryland, there have been several bills on the issue. The Senate moved Senator Hough's bill but it stalled in the House.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=sb0097&stab=01&ys=2019RS

Judiciary also did not move on my bill:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=hb0749&stab=01&ys=2019RS

I am on Judiciary and I have talked personally with Chair Clippinger on this specific issue. He would like to have the legalization workgroup look at the issue.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=cmtepage&tab=subject7&id=MLW&stab=01

That workgroup has not met yet in the interim. I would watch for the workgroup to meet and discuss this issue.

Delegate Robin Grammer

State Lawmaker
    Mar 7, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I would argue that there's already a carve-out for holders of a medical marijuana card. Section 13-3313(a)(1) of the Health-General Article of the MD Code provides that a qualifying patient may not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or any civil or administrative penalty . . . or be denied any right or privilege, for the medical use of or possession of medical cannabis."

That seems pretty clear to me that a gun owner cannot be stripped of his or her right to own/possess/use that gun on account of being a card holder, nor can he or she be prohibited from owning/possessing/using a gun that he/she acquired after obtaining a card. I am not familiar with the issue, but I believe that the State Police has taken some position to the effect that they won't approve a 77R unless a patient has relinquished a card for 12 months, but, if that's true, I think that's phooey.

The state is clearly in violation of the current law. If someone sued the state, it would most certainly help.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I've got a novel idea, how about the Federal Government stay the ef out of it?

It's fairly obvious they know they'll lose revenue from the fact that people will almost certainly consume less alcohol and possibly other legal recreational (prescription) drugs that are all but openly abused and no one seems to mind.....<cough-cough>........Adderall.....Xanax....

Who exactly is all that worried about their stoner neighbor anyway? Is that the guy who's going to be rooting through your shed at 2AM? Are they the ones who will have knock down/drag out fights at all hours of the night and have the police at the house?

Hint.........NO, they're not.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The thing is, the MSP isn't involved on not disapproving long gun sales anyway, and even if they did not dissaprove a 77r, the purchaser would presumably still be denied by the NICS.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Delagate Grammer I know this is not part of it but where do you stand on the bill to do away with the Hand Gun Permit Review Board and the restrictions that MSP always puts on a CCW lic? I would like to know please and I think a few others here might want to know as well.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Until the DEA drops MJ off of the Schedule 1 drug list, the BATF&E will enforce the prohibited person rule.

There is really no other scenario that can be argued.

States can make their laws allowing MJ and gun possession, but it will still be a federal crime. Schedule 1 listing means there is no medical use, even though the U.S. Government owns the patent on medical cannabis.

richgo66

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 23, 2019
    HQL permit denied becuae of my Med Marijuana Card

Hello,
    Is there any way around this? As a good citizen, avid range shooter, and having taken the HQL class, I was denied my handgun permit because I happen to have a medical cannabis card. I am not a habitual user but was still denied. Is there any way around this?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    pot is illegal at the federal level. You cannot pass the federal background check while holding a Med pot card. ATF has issued guidance on this, it is beyond the scope of MD law.

You will have to give up your card to buy a gun. ANY gun, rifle shotgun, or pistol. I do not know offhand how long after cancelling the card they will let you re-apply for HQL. For long guns (federal 4473 only), probably as soon as you can truthfully answer on the federal 4473 that you are not a habitual user of drugs which are illegal at the federal level. Some time after the card is cancelled and youve smoked burned your stash. or something. For the HQL, there may be a different process and timeline.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I'm Jewish but I'm fairly secular, I'll have to check with some of the other members that are more observant because this doesn't seem kosher.

Wait till you get a PM from him. I did. Not only is not kosher, I would call it illegal....

Attachments

• banhammer.jpg
      banhammer.jpg
      34.8 KB · Views: 269

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom