• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Testing the water here... I picked these up a while ago, and have put just under 100 rounds through each of them. Great shootin' irons, but thanks to a few friends, including Clandestine and new member Gorba, as well as Tom at 2A, I've got the itch for a .308 AR-10.

I can't afford the new rifle right now, so I'm exploring the idea of selling the RPRs since I just don't shoot them much. I'm asking for suggestions on the best place to either try to trade them as partial payment for the new rifle, maybe put them on consignment, or sell them at a pawn shop. I imagine I'll take a beating, but I'd like to minimize the butt hurt.

They're going to be bare bones, with no optics or gimcrackery. We all have our own preferences for that stuff, and I'm keeping the take offs for other toys in the closet.

And before any of you smart asses brings it up, just so you know, this will NOT be a karma. :rolleyes:

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Have you talked to any IPs on trading them for a 308AR?
    Q
    That's on my to-do list for tomorrow, after we take Gorba's AR-10 out to the range to see if it will run.

I was going to be one of the smart asses until I got to the end ... Bound to happen .
    I can always count on you, my friend! Better luck next time. Thanks for playing. :lol2:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Testing the water here... I picked these up a while ago, and have put just under 100 rounds through each of them. Great shootin' irons, but thanks to a few friends, including Clandestine and new member Gorba, as well as Tom at 2A, I've got the itch for a .308 AR-10.

I can't afford the new rifle right now, so I'm exploring the idea of selling the RPRs since I just don't shoot them much. I'm asking for suggestions on the best place to either try to trade them as partial payment for the new rifle, maybe put them on consignment, or sell them at a pawn shop. I imagine I'll take a beating, but I'd like to minimize the butt hurt.

They're going to be bare bones, with no optics or gimcrackery. We all have our own preferences for that stuff, and I'm keeping the take offs for other toys in the closet.

And before any of you smart asses brings it up, just so you know, this will NOT be a karma. :rolleyes:

Could always post them up in the classifieds on here, so you know they will go to a fellow member.

On top of that, why not build the AR10 you want?

Aero Precision makes some darn good uppers and lowers for the M5 series.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    All I'll say is that CDNN was blowing out RPR gen2s recently for $800-$900... if I thought I was gonna have to sell at $700 or less, I'd probably just keep it and buy the AR-308 piecemeal. I mean, worst case, you could probably grab a PSA PA10 for reasonable money, and it'll work alright.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Could always post them up in the classifieds on here, so you know they will go to a fellow member.

Thanks!

I might post them up later, but for now I'm doing my due diligence and research.

I don't have the skills, knowledge, patience or tools to properly build a rifle. I do have a dremel, a bunch of hammers of various sizes, and have slept in a Holiday Inn Express from time to time, and even with all those qualifications, I know my limitations. Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry) said it best, "A man's gotta know his limitations." :innocent0

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks!

I might post them up later, but for now I'm doing my due diligence and research.

I don't have the skills, knowledge, patience or tools to properly build a rifle. I do have a dremel, a bunch of hammers of various sizes, and have slept in a Holiday Inn Express from time to time, and even with all those qualifications, I know my limitations. Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry) said it best, "A man's gotta know his limitations." :innocent0

But I do, along with a few others that know how to assemble an AR10. If you want to pick my brain, you are welcome to ask anything you can think of.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    But I do, along with a few others that know how to assemble an AR10. If you want to pick my brain, you are welcome to ask anything you can think of.

Thanks for the offer, and I really appreciate it. If I were 20 years younger and had taken Chad's build-a-rifle class I might be tempted, but after going through the saga of a badly built AR and knowing my own limits, I am going to choose to buy a complete rifle that was put together by a manufacturer. Sure, I could save some money by doing it myself, but to me it's worth spending that money on peace of mind and the convenience factor.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks for the offer, and I really appreciate it. If I were 20 years younger and had taken Chad's build-a-rifle class I might be tempted, but after going through the saga of a badly built AR and knowing my own limits, I am going to choose to buy a complete rifle that was put together by a manufacturer. Sure, I could save some money by doing it myself, but to me it's worth spending that money on peace of mind and the convenience factor.
    Given your experiences I completely understand, but in the future, should you change your mind, the offer is open ended.

I do kinda owe you for tolerating me when fabs and I picked up the bowflex. :D

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Given your experiences I completely understand, but in the future, should you change your mind, the offer is open ended.

I do kinda owe you for tolerating me when fabs and I picked up the bowflex. :D

Actually, call me crazy but I really enjoyed meeting you guys! :lol2:

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    You could always do what I did. Buy all of the parts and send it to chad for assembly.

I chose this route because there were no manufacturers that put out the exact setup I wanted. Some were close but, did not have everything I wanted. Going this route cost me more upfront but, considering I would have changed parts out to get it the way I wanted it would have cost me more in the long run to buy factory and modify this made sense to me.
    After researching and buying everything I wanted I mailed off the upper part (I assembled the lower myself) for assembly and the reliability work. I now have a rifle that runs better than any of my factory built rifles and is setup exactly how I wanted it to be.

As for selling your rprs I would try listing them here on the classifieds first.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Yea, you are certifiable. 2:

Thanks! Coming from you, I consider that a supreme compliment. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back on topic, I went to see my friends at 2A Sales this afternoon, and Mark worked his magic with a calculator and computer, and hooked me up with a great deal on the new rifle, and in the process made my two RPRs go away. I don't think anybody got rich, and nobody got butt hurt, so I think it was a fair deal. I can always count on those folks to take care of me, and have been a loyal customer ever since Mark opened the shop. So, problem solved.

Many thanks to everybody who offered to help, both in the thread and in PMs. You guys are the best. ;)

Thanks 2A! :party29:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yes and seconded. That’s what I am doing. Can take it slow. Check Schuyler Arms. They often have Aero Precision uppers and lowers for a great deal. Not sure what they have right now, but I managed to pickup a lower for I want to say $105, plus shipping and a transfer fee for a lower. Earlier I got an Aero Betty Ross upper and Lower receiver set from them for $135 on sale. After shipping and transfer it was under $200.

Picked up a BCG on sale for another $120 from Brownell’s. Need some more parts in there, but so it takes you 6 or 12 months to slowly acquire all the bits and pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom