• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I know we have some Steyr owners here, and I want to hear your thoughts. Specifically how they stack up against Glock. I've been planning on buying a Glock 19 to have something smaller to keep handy at home(and who knows, maybe I'll get G&S one day) but the Steyr M9A1 has caught my eye.

I've seen the M9 before, but never realized how affordable they are($450-500). The trapezoidal sights and the ergos intrigue me, not to mention I like that it has conversation piece value. Of course the Glock has the benefit of parts, holsters, and mags being widely available. Also a used G19 can be had for less than $400.

So what say y'all?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I know we have some Steyr owners here, and I want to hear your thoughts. Specifically how they stack up against Glock. I've been planning on buying a Glock 19 to have something smaller to keep handy at home(and who knows, maybe I'll get G&S one day) but the Steyr M9A1 has caught my eye.

I've seen the M9 before, but never realized how affordable they are($450-500). The trapezoidal sights and the ergos intrigue me, not to mention I like that it has conversation piece value. Of course the Glock has the benefit of parts, holsters, and mags being widely available. Also a used G19 can be had for less than $400.

So what say y'all?

The only advantage Glock has is the availability of parts and accessories.

The high grip and balance make the M9A1 better than the Glock. Throw in the trapezoidal sights and the best trigger outside of a dedicated target pistol. Well you get my point.

This is by far my favorite non-target pistol. About 5000rds through it, all issues have been ammo related (I like the cheap stuff)

Did I mention, I really like this gun.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Here's mine

Attachments

• 20141110_230138.jpg
      20141110_230138.jpg
      75.3 KB · Views: 532

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I have the S40-A1 totally love the ergos, trigger and those trapezoid sights are nice! Not a lot of accessories out there. As far as reliability, I've had no issues. Its an easy pistol to take apart and clean. If you want to try mine hit me up a pm.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Trapezoidal sights

Same as with brownspotz. PM me if you would like to shoot it. I'm a member at FreeState

Attachments

• 20141110_231833.jpg
      20141110_231833.jpg
      24.5 KB · Views: 506

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    i like my older M40 a lot, but it's admittedly at a disadvantage compared to the Glocks when you're talking parts, holsters, and mags.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    The only advantage Glock has is the availability of parts and accessories.

The high grip and balance make the M9A1 better than the Glock. Throw in the trapezoidal sights and the best trigger outside of a dedicated target pistol. Well you get my point.

This is by far my favorite non-target pistol. About 5000rds through it, all issues have been ammo related (I like the cheap stuff)

Did I mention, I really like this gun.

Ditto. I originally purchased the L9-A1. I love all the ergos, and my daughter liked it so much she declared it "hers". I subsequently bought the S9-A1 with the intent to carry, but I need a few more rounds down range first (planned for later today). I love the trigger, the trapezoidal sights, and the ease of take down. The only negatives I have found is scarcity of holsters, I am suspicious of long term performance of any gun with an internal lock, and based on my daughter's shooting, it may be sensitive to limp wristing. But of all my 9mm, the Steyrs are my favorites for performance, accuracy, and recoil.

L9-A1

S9-A1

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Long term availability of parts would be my concern. Your Glock 17 from 1987 still has complete parts availability, accessory options galore, aftermarket upgrades galore, etc. You can still find mags, parts, smiths everywhere to service them.

Think about how many pistols that were around at that time, or introduced since then, that are gone, obsolete, hard to source parts and mags for, no smith support, etc. The list is long. The Steyr unfortunately will be one that'll be replaced by a "better" model at some point and rendered obsolete. Parts will be sparse or non-existent.

Your 27 year old Glock is still fully supported by the market. 27 years from now, will the Steyr?

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    How does a Steyr stack up to a Glock? Rather well I would say. I have a Steyr GB (not mine pictured - but looks the same). One of the original wonder nines. Polygonal barrel. 18 round mag. Very little plastic. Too bad they don't make these any more. They only made about 20,000

Attachments

• Steyr_GB_(parabellum_pl).jpg
      Steyr_GB_(parabellum_pl).jpg
      90.2 KB · Views: 392

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I loved my steyr s9. The trigger feels way better than the mushy glock trigger and the grip feels a lot more natural in my hands. The biggest downside is probably the width of the gun. It's noticeably thicker than a glock in the same caliber. I've never really carried but if I did I couldn't imagine picking a steyr over other thinner 9mms that are available. I ended up selling it to a member here. I might buy the long barreled l9 one day

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I read somewhere that some Glock engineers defected to Steyr because they wanted to make some changes to the current versions... Maybe that's why these new Steyr's look so good... was a close second in my 9mm choices...and is still lingering in my thoughts...would like to see the 357 model come out???

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I was playing with a steyr yesterday due all the compliments in this thread. The trigger feels crisp but it felt like a 12lb trigger. Ergonomically, it felt great but the weight was heavy enough that I stopped to see if there was a safety that was engaged.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I was playing with a steyr yesterday due all the compliments in this thread. The trigger feels crisp but it felt like a 12lb trigger. Ergonomically, it felt great but the weight was heavy enough that I stopped to see if there was a safety that was engaged.

That's odd. I would guess my trigger at 3-4lbs, definitely no more than that and probably less. 12lbs is about what a HiPower's trigger is.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's odd. I would guess my trigger at 3-4lbs, definitely no more than that and probably less. 12lbs is about what a HiPower's trigger is.

I wouldn't go that far. All the BHP's I've shot (with the mag disconnect in) have been in the 6 lbs. range.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    My carry gun is a Glock 27 with an 8lb connector and this one was noticeably heavier.

Ahh. :thumbsup:

I got lucky, mine was about 6.5lbs., and when the disconnect got yanked, it's down a bit more.

I'm not familiar with the Steyrs. What can be done to lighten them? Or were you talking about an HP?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    My carry gun is a Glock 27 with an 8lb connector and this one was noticeably heavier.

I'm not familiar with the Steyrs. What can be done to lighten them? Or were you talking about an HP?

He was talking about his Hi Power. The Steyr has an incredible stock trigger. Much better than any Glock I have ever shot.
    If the one you shot was that bad, then something was not right. My Steyr is about 3lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom