• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I'm looking for a course, or an individual, who has lots of experience in carrying concealed (undercover officer, etc.) who would be willing to share (for a fee) some tips and tricks for effective concealment. You folks have the advantage of your training and years of experience in knowing what works and doesn't, and there's no substitute for that knowledge. I'm looking for someone who can help with holsters/clothing/etc. for optimal concealment and reasonable comfort. Thanks in advance!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    hmmm.. dont think there is a specific course design just for what you looking for.

i took nra protection outside the home few years back. they only touch the basics on holster types and concealments.

you may have better luck on the individual training from experience leo.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Maybe one of the IP's who offer training could give you some advice after taking one of their courses.

But the reality is it all comes down to what works for you. What works for my style of dress, body type, and movement might not work for you.

In the summer time I IWB carry. You will probably need to buy pants/shorts a size or two larger then normal to do this comfortably. You'll also need to be mindful of the length of your shirt.

Probably the hardest thing to grasp is how clueless folks are. The first few times you carry you will be paranoid but realize most folks aren't concerned. Try avoiding grabbing, moving, and adjusting the holster.

Something else to consider is where you are going. If you are traveling to the beach, a pool, a softball game etc it's likely better to leave the firearm at home or to buy a container you can lock and keep in your car very an attachment point.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Thanks. I have taken that class, and others, but I want to learn from someone who carries for a living. I have the usual box o' holsters, and have tried different combinations of them and various handguns, but after reading some of the great posts from our professional LEOs, I realize there's a lot of experience out there. I'm hoping one of our experts will offer to help, in exchange for a fee/ammo/dinner/etc.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Probably the hardest thing to grasp is how clueless folks are. The first few times you carry you will be paranoid but realize most folks aren't concerned. Try avoiding grabbing, moving, and adjusting the holster.

Something else to consider is where you are going. If you are traveling to the beach, a pool, a softball game etc it's likely better to leave the firearm at home or to buy a container you can lock and keep in your car very an attachment point.

Excellent advice. I guess I tend to pay more attention to what folks might be carrying than most people, and that makes me more paranoid than necessary. I totally agree that there are times when it's better to lock it up, and I have installed appropriate vaults in convenient places for that purpose. Thanks for the input!

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Try looking in VA, I've seen several listings down there. I often visit a store near Dulles called F3 Tactical, and they promote several local unique courses and I believe some have been specifically tailored to CCW and how to respond to active shooters while CCW.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Take 229Blaster up on his offer. He carries concealed as his livelihood.

I will, as it happens, be taking Mike Pannone's Covert Carry class this weekend in Bethlehem, PA (not an industry partner, mind you, and it's a pricey class). I will post an AAR here next week. My understanding about the class is that we spend a lot of time learning the draw-stroke, clearing the cover garment, etc. People I know who have taken it say you do 500+ draws over the 2 days.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I will teach you.

Thanks! I have tremendous respect for you and your contributions to this forum. In fact, I think it was one of your posts on another thread about concealment that recently got my attention... something about bending over, backpacks, etc. I would be most grateful. PM on the way.

Ed

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have plenty of time on my hands. When ya wanna? I think I'm meeting with Ed here at my house monday or tues. I could come up your way. Makes it easy since there's no shooting involved.

Mmmmmm....

You should consider offering formal classes. You certainly have expertise in this area. It is valuable to those of us who do not. I only have weekends available for this kind of stuff. I would be happy to travel, and pay for your time at your convenience.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Mmmmmm....

You should consider offering formal classes. You certainly have expertise in this area. It is valuable to those of us who do not. I only have weekends available for this kind of stuff. I would be happy to travel, and pay for your time at your convenience.

I'm off this weekend. Buy lunch. :thumbsup:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Lol. Can't do this weekend. I'll PM you and we can figure it out. Happy to buy lunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom