• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well, problem solved, I think.

My wife and I took the G42 to the gun club today, and had one of their experts shoot it. (Qualifications? He's a USPSA Grand Master, and helped evaluate the G42 for the NRA when it first came out -- so he's very familiar with the gun.)

He was hitting groups with it, and my reloads, at 3 to 5 yards with holes touching each other, center-of-aim.

So turns out it wasn't the ammo. It was us, but not our grip in general.

It was how far the trigger finger wraps around the trigger.

I was always taught to have the trigger under the pad of my finger, or under the first joint. That works for most guns, but apparently not with how small the grip is on the G42.

He said to push the trigger finger in as far as it will go around the trigger, trying to have the palm pad at the base of the trigger finger tight against the frame.

He was doing that. And it worked for me. And for my wife. In fact, she couldn't get over how much better she was shooting.

I might add that I also fired 50 rounds (reloads) from my 9mm Sig Sauer P290RS my "old way" (first joint on the trigger), and didn't have any issues...except for that long hard DAO trigger pull. The guy said his trigger finger position wasn't necessary with other guns, but it doesn't hurt to be consistent. So I'm going to have to try it with my other guns...

By the way, I had the new TruGlo TPO tritium/fiber optic sights on, centered in the dovetail. Nice sights.

That's true to a point.
    The thing is, if your teeny finger is pushing your pistol around(being held properly with 2 hands), then you need help with your grip. Your finger shouldn't be bullying the hands.

That may not work so well with a larger pistol. Because that 3rd pad(closest to your hand) may push the pistol left. You cannot get that close pad to "Press back straight" like the 2nd or 1st pad can. Because it's basically on the side of the trigger. It worked on that 42 because it is so small, your hands swallowed it up and it "ain't goin' nowhere".
    Also, you cannot find the trigger reset with that 3rd pad. You'll eventually learn it is more grip that's the magic.

3 to 5 yards? He should have been able to shoot that with his eyes closed with no sights.
    NOT impressive.

Glad you found out a sort of fix. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom