• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Does anyone here cook and eat these deer parts? I cut the heart out the deer I got the other day and will cut the tongue out when I butcher it tomorrow.

I watched Steve Rinella cook the tongues twice on his show . One time he boiled it and the next time he smoked it. He had a show about cooking hearts of game animals also so I have to watch it again.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Cut in strips and fried lightly you can make fajitas and I pickled it last year and need to try a sweeter recipe. Will try with Bread and butter pickle brine this year. I have done as steaks but it can't be cooked heavily or gets tougher and everyone complains about the steaks with hole sin them.

I have never bothered with the tongue. Its small and look like a PITA to get at. Plus never looked like it was big enough to bother with.

Liver I make braunschweiger and eat on crackers with horse radish mustard and cheddar cheese.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Boil both the heart and tongue until done, peal tongue cur both in 1/2 inch strips, make a bread and butter pickle brine, boil brine and put in tongue and heart. You can either cold pack and put in frig for 2 weeks or hot water bath and can.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Never tried tounge. But, we used to slice the heart down and pan fry it with butter. It was good.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I grew up in the country, we ate about everything. One day I went to my grandma's house and it smelt odd in her kitchen. I asked her what she was cooking and she said kidneys. I asked her how do you cook kidneys. She said boil the piss out of them, I was 9 at the time had kidneys for supper and it was good.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Never thought about the tongue until Steve. I’d try it if someone else cooked it but I’m not gonna process that. It’s for the foxes at my house. I do keep the heart and liver but the dog gets those. I was never a fan.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Tongue is delicious, the sad part it is too small. Add salt to water, soy sause, small bay leave and onion and boil the tongue for 1-2 hours on slow.
    After it is done wash it in cold water and try to remove the tongue skin. Refrigerate it, then slice and consume with horseradish. Beef tongue is cooked the same way but boil it longer as it is huge.

The deer heart I cut into pieces removing the veins, valves and fat. Marinate in worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, mustard and olive oil for 2-4 hours. Char it on hot fire (grill or massive cast iron pan) but undercook it a little so internals are still pink. If you overcook it wil be really bad.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Heart may be my favorite fresh cut of deer. I clean all the big veins and fat from it, slice into 1/2 inch strips, marinate in red wine vinegar and crushed garlic and olive oil for a few hours. Grill on scorching hot grill and keep it medium rare.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Heart may be my favorite fresh cut of deer. I clean all the big veins and fat from it, slice into 1/2 inch strips, marinate in red wine vinegar and crushed garlic and olive oil for a few hours. Grill on scorching hot grill and keep it medium rare.

I havent tried that marinade, but I will!

I like heart as much as the straps!

Grilled or pan seared, delicious!
    https://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=297549&stc=1&d=1603920226

Liver is delicious too!

Attachments

• 20200927_191128.jpg
      20200927_191128.jpg
      93.2 KB · Views: 73
    • 20200929_203720.jpg
      20200929_203720.jpg
      78.8 KB · Views: 104

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members