• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Beyond all the crazy anti-gun proposals, the governor is also trying to eliminate state vehicle safety inspections. It's part of his budget bill. He's doing it as a concession to get people to buy in to his ridiculous 12 cent per gallon gas tax hike. I would encourage all the VA residents here to bring this up to your reps in addition to the gun bills.

I know some folks think inspections are just another tax or a government overreach, and I used to as well. Being a car guy they annoy me because they make having a modified custom car difficult. However having worked in automotive for awhile now, across three different states, both in mechanical and collision repair roles, I can see the benefit. The number of cars I saw on a daily basis in both MD and GA; both no annual inspection states; that had bald and even separating tires that people refused to replace was astounding. Not only that but also damaged suspension components, failing wheel bearings, broken lights, fuel leaks, you name it, and people do not care. It's infuriating as someone who has to share the road with these people. I can say that since moving to Virginia, the number of cars I see that have safety issues is lower. I do get folks in whose cars have failed inspection due to rust or damage and they can't understand why. I have had to explain to someone that their rusted out frame failed inspection because it was to the point that a good pothole would split his truck in two.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Now I know this is about cars but it brings up something I've debated people over, and that's mandated training for a CCW. On paper it sounds good, but ive never seen stats that show that mandated training decreases accidental shootings (willful acts don't qualify).

Are there stats that show that states with no inspections have a higher number of accidents due to faulty auto systems which would be prevented with annual inspections?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I grew up in Northern Va and I hated those inspections and often with older cars I owned when young, the gas station guys were crooks. Inspections every year was stupid.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    Well with the gas tax increase at least they are spreading the BS around. That will be another bunch of folks that are pissed at the Dems. I'm all for them going full tilt against the wall. It will just be that much of a bigger drop for them. Maybe the democratic party will finally fall off the ballots? fred55

Conaso

May 17, 2014
    Alexandria, VA
    I hate the inspections, they are an imposition for me. But compare the maintenance of vehicles in MD or Illinois to VA. In Indianapolis I remember seeing inside a pickup truck, through the doors. In MD, when I was looking for a used truck, a seller had the front bumper held in place with electrical wire. How about commercial vehicles, semis, etc., bad news.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Now I know this is about cars but it brings up something I've debated people over, and that's mandated training for a CCW. On paper it sounds good, but ive never seen stats that show that mandated training decreases accidental shootings (willful acts don't qualify).

Are there stats that show that states with no inspections have a higher number of accidents due to faulty auto systems which would be prevented with annual inspections?

Im going to have to agree. I have a new car go in pay, sit an hour. Have to have them tell me i need new filters. f'd. Some classes of cars are more, some owners, I guess the term is equitable, but I pay. I don't need the state to tax me to own a car, then waste my time...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm in the industry too, most studies find pretty much no actual reduction in accidents or injuries due to mechanical failures in states that require inspections. NJ ended their program, other states should too, usually poorly run expensive and ineffective programs. People driving dangerous crap are still subject to SEROs, still liable for damage they, or their mechanical failure causes, and still can get a lock and stick shop to pass them, assuming something didn't break during the year between inspections.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

Yes there are stats. South Carolina did away with their inspections in the 90s and have seen a steady increase in roadway fatalities since. They are actually trying to reintroduce them now.

For those who see it as an inconvenience because you maintain your cars, trust me there are just as many people who don't. Do you want to get hit by another driver at highway speed because their bald tire that should've been replaced 5000 miles ago just blew out? Believe me I wish it wasn't needed but so many people now lack personal responsibility. As for shady shops, all I can say is do your homework, plenty of honest inspectors out there.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    According to nhtsa “vehicles” accounted for 2% of accidents in 2015. Of the 44,000 accidents 25,000 were due to tires and brakes. 17,000 were unknown.

I am planning on moving to VA this year and am not looking forward to these inspections.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Well with the gas tax increase at least they are spreading the BS around. That will be another bunch of folks that are pissed at the Dems. I'm all for them going full tilt against the wall. It will just be that much of a bigger drop for them. Maybe the democratic party will finally fall off the ballots? fred55

This. :thumbsup:

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Why not have gun safe inspections too so that gov can make sure we store our weapons safely? Run by the state of course

Think of he jobs it will create. Think of how much safer people will be.

I can't support either type of inspection .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom