• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Alot of dead WT bucks are being found in DOCO. Anybody found any? I bet when the corn is all cut off more will be found yet.
    What is it? Anybody heard anything that's been in the woods.
    Sika were running around crazy tonight, rutting is starting early it seems like. Plenty of bugling and some chasing already south of Vienna.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Alot of dead WT bucks are being found in DOCO. Anybody found any? I bet when the corn is all cut off more will be found yet.
    Sika were running around crazy tonight, rutting is starting early it seems like. Plenty of bugling and some chasing already south of Vienna.

That's too bad. Just bucks? If you find them near water, or in water, probably blue tongue. I didn't think that happened around here though. Idaknow...:shrug:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    before anyone else says it
    CHUPACABRA

that does suck. maybe its global warming or maybe George Bush's fault?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IDK I thought blue tongue became apparent during periods of drought. 50/50 for water there was one found in a ditch still alive, a six point and then another 12 still in velvet a 1/2 mile from it. It was dry in there but its pretty low all around here so water is always a possibility in the woods especially this year.
    I didn't see it but the smaller of the two was all zombied out I was told. More will come out I'm sure, not alot of guys hunting yet, theyll find them when they scout around a little bit.
    Everybody local has found some, but no idea what the cause is as of yet.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    IDK I thought blue tongue became apparent during periods of drought. 50/50 for water there was one found in a ditch still alive, a six point and then another 12 still in velvet a 1/2 mile from it. It was dry in there but its pretty low all around here so water is always a possibility in the woods especially this year.
    I didn't see it but the smaller of the two was all zombied out I was told. More will come out I'm sure, not alot of guys hunting yet, theyll find them when they scout around a little bit.
    Everybody local has found some, but no idea what the cause is as of yet.

Here is a good write-up on blue tongue describing the symptoms and cause. There doesn't seem to be much that can be done for wild game if it is BT.

Has DNR been notified of the situation? Their biologists should be able to figure this out as to cause of deaths.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :thumbsup: You're welcome, Sir.

We had an outbreak in my area (Southern MD), back in 2014. I found mostly doe and fawn remains, mostly in a deep draw with an intermittent creek that runs down the center of my place. All were near (or in) the water.

And from what I've read, you'll find them in ditches. They get a fever so they seek cool places. Streams and ditches.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    In real dry years you'll find them anywhere. We have had a few bad outbreaks over my lifetime. The last big outbreak was a right good while ago , I remember because I shot a high buck but his antlers looked like someone burnt the ends of them with a torch and his hooves were split. I paid little attention to it but when we hit the check in station they had 3 don't guys looking st all the deer. They came to my truck an I think we had that buck and 7-8 does and they started pulling them out before I got out of the truck so I kinda threw a fit. Turned out they were excited because they all had blue tounge and I had never heard of it. They showed us the slit hooves and burnt antlers and told us what was going on. They told us unless they had large hemorages inside they were ok to eat. There were a LOT of dead deer that year.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I sniffed one down yesterday, no apparent wounds, plenty of food and water around. Doe, maybe three days down. no blood, knocked down about 8 stalks of corn then walked three more rows in and curled up and died. ?? I'll check for an arrow in a week, I didn't want to flip her over and have her explode on me.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I sniffed one down yesterday, no apparent wounds, plenty of food and water around. Doe, maybe three days down. no blood, knocked down about 8 stalks of corn then walked three more rows in and curled up and died. ?? I'll check for an arrow in a week, I didn't want to flip her over and have her explode on me.

See if her hooves are split or chipped up looking.

Built2Grind

Dec 9, 2017
    Eastern Shore

Wowa dokie overboard sounds like you guys should take up a new hobby if all the deer are dying off... bowling maybe??

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Tried Bowling but the lanes are to small in Seaford so we just decided to hunt your farm instead, you know.... from the state woods side.
    Aren't you headed back to the city yet or is the snow to high for you to make it?:)

So... As a moderator I should assume that the new guy making fun of you is a friend of yours and not someone we've previously banned back under a new name?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom