• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Little excitement yesterday. We were getting ready to visit a family member in the hospital on Sunday when my wife couldn't find her purse. We looked in the car and all around the house but couldn't come up with it. I figured, it's got to be around somewhere, so we went to the hospital thinking we would just tear the house apart when we got back.

Low and behold, when we got home, I noticed something odd in my car. Center storage compartment pulled open and CDs/junk spread around.... uh-oh.

Sure enough, someone had ransacked all three of the vehicles parked in the driveway (probably late Saturday night). We found a spot in the neighbor's yard where they crouched behind their wood pile and dumped some of the contents of my wife's purse. She lost her wallet, cash, cards, and cellphone, but they didn't take anything of value from my truck or car... looks like they were moving fast because they left some things of value behind.

Deputy Sheriff who came out to investigate said that they have been getting a rash of these thefts lately across Westminster, Manchester, Hampstead, etc. He confirmed that many folks, like us, don't bother locking their vehicles when they are at home, because... well, it's Carroll County. But it clearly isn't the same Carroll County that it was a decade ago. We live in a pretty rural area and are a good 100 yards off the road, but that didn't seem to bother them.

So... yes, we were stupid. My wife should not have left her purse in her vehicle, and we both should have locked the cars.... we will be altering our behaviors there, but I wanted to pass this along to our neighbors who can learn from our mistakes. The days of not locking up are gone. Thieves are everywhere and they suck.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    It's incidents like this that makes me wish for bait with exploding die packs. Leave purse in car, bastard takes it, and poof - instant identification.

Of course, here in MD, you'd probably be facing criminal charges.

How do banks get to add those things and not face reprucusions?

Such a pain in the *ss - cancel cards, maybe new driver's license if it was stolen, change bank pin numbers - and the thief, if even caught, gets suspended sentence and probably not even restitution (and won't pay if it is part of sentence)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    No offense, but why does this need to be a psa? Cars have locks for a reason. I believe the saying is an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Little excitement yesterday. We were getting ready to visit a family member in the hospital on Sunday when my wife couldn't find her purse. We looked in the car and all around the house but couldn't come up with it. I figured, it's got to be around somewhere, so we went to the hospital thinking we would just tear the house apart when we got back.

Low and behold, when we got home, I noticed something odd in my car. Center storage compartment pulled open and CDs/junk spread around.... uh-oh.

Sure enough, someone had ransacked all three of the vehicles parked in the driveway (probably late Saturday night). We found a spot in the neighbor's yard where they crouched behind their wood pile and dumped some of the contents of my wife's purse. She lost her wallet, cash, cards, and cellphone, but they didn't take anything of value from my truck or car... looks like they were moving fast because they left some things of value behind.

Deputy Sheriff who came out to investigate said that they have been getting a rash of these thefts lately across Westminster, Manchester, Hampstead, etc. He confirmed that many folks, like us, don't bother locking their vehicles when they are at home, because... well, it's Carroll County. But it clearly isn't the same Carroll County that it was a decade ago. We live in a pretty rural area and are a good 100 yards off the road, but that didn't seem to bother them.

So... yes, we were stupid. My wife should not have left her purse in her vehicle, and we both should have locked the cars.... we will be altering our behaviors there, but I wanted to pass this along to our neighbors who can learn from our mistakes. The days of not locking up are gone. Thieves are everywhere and they suck.

This has happened to us, in the heart of MoCo, Gaithersburg/Laytonsville area, several times over the past 15 years. It started out with them just entering unlocked vehicles to them unlocking locked vehicles. Nothing is secure anymore.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I learned two things at a young age. Always lock my vehicles no matter what. Don't keep valuables in the vehicles or else keep them well hidden. Thieves are everywhere, no matter how remote or supposedly "safe".

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My personal policy has always been to try to never leave anything in a car that has any kind of value, and also to never lock it. I worked in Southeast DC right off of M street, and I parked on the street back in the projects - I never locked my car. The main reason for not locking the car, at least in that neighborhood anyway, was that I figured it would be easier to simply allow someone access (remember - nothing valuable in the car) than to have them break my window to get in, and that was a place where a broken car window was how people would gain access to your car.

I had one time in the 3 years I worked down there where I got to my car and had a feeling that someone had been in it

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah, I follow the "locked at all times" philosophy. Drives my wife nuts! The house and cars are locked up, and we live in a decent neighborhood. Not great, but better than average.

A few years ago, my neighbor's car went missing. Turns out his wife had left her purse in HER car, with the spare keys to HIS car in it. The thieves stole her purse, and since they had the keys, they stole his car too. Fast forward 6 months and I went to cut the hedgerow between our houses. Husband wasn't home, but his wife was. I asked her to move his car if she wanted me to trim back her side of the hedgerow, and she said she couldn't - didn't have a key to his car! :D Can't say I blame him.

-John

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Cars are always locked in the garage at night.
    For the past 5-10 years I have locked the house and armed the alarm system even if I'm just out mowing the lawn.
    And I live in Howard County where bad things don't happen. :sarcasm:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Cars are always locked in the garage at night.

For the past 5-10 years I have locked the house and armed the alarm system even if I'm just out mowing the lawn.

And I live in Howard County where bad things don't happen. :sarcasm:

Lol, only if you believe that all of the crime in Howard County is reported in the police blotter. Columbia has been having a rash of car break ins in the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Not to worry, we have a black bear patrolling the neighborhood. No joke, the neighbor next to me seal coated his driveway and the bear walked through it, crossed in front of my house and left tracks in the other neighbor's driveway. I wondered what the GSD was going off about.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Thanks for the reminder.

Last night I left the door and trunk open to my car. I filled up our generator gas tank yesterday and the car smelled like gas. So I left them open thinking I'd remember to close them before I went to bed, but didn't.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Not to worry, we have a black bear patrolling the neighborhood. No joke, the neighbor next to me seal coated his driveway and the bear walked through it, crossed in front of my house and left tracks in the other neighbor's driveway. I wondered what the GSD was going off about.

Where abouts in Eldersburg?

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    PSA for North Carroll county. This happened to my wife and me when we lived on Miller Station Rd. 12 or so years ago. Started being a problem before that. Thank you heroin.
    Locks make criminals work for your stuff. Otherwise there wouldn't be a need for them.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Lol, only if you believe that all of the crime in Howard County is reported in the police blotter. Columbia has been having a rash of car break ins in the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah tell me about it. There was never any mention of the incident at our home June 2016.

Short story is that a kid 3 streets up pulls knife on parents after they find he has drugs, then runs (with knife) when they call the cops. He ran right through our back yard while my wife and I were making dinner on the gas grill. We had a police helicopter and everything! I must say we didn't prepare for this.

Next time maybe it will be a gun instead of a knife? Maybe the taking of hostages i.e. us?

It's food for thought & preparation.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sorry for your loss & your trouble, BUT...

Welcome to America 2017...

We all need to lock Everything Everytime & Everywhere...

It's not the 1950's any longer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom