• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Hello all,

I Was hoping to pick up my first Garand, only to find that CMP is and has been sold out of many of their grades. I know I would like a for sure shooter... so wouldn't mind dishing out for a Service or even Special grade.

Right now CMP only has in stock:

RM1WRAS for 930.00
    or
    RM1SPECIALFIELD for 830.00

1)Which should I grab? Or should I wait and see if CMP gets more SPECIAL Grades?? I thought I heard in April that a shipment from the Phillipeans was approved.??

2)Other options other than CMP if I dare ask?? Would like to stay under 1200.00

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    A service grade is an all USGI rifle that may have a new mfg. stock set. Very good overall condition. The current offering is mfg. by Winchester so you are paying a few extra $100 for the name. Its a collector/Chicks dig it thing. You can buy into it or not.

"Special" means that the CMP has rebuilt the rifle with a new commercial barrel and a new stock set. They have also reparkerized it.

"Field Grade Special" means that they have used a lower condition receiver as the starting point for the new barrel, new furniture rebuild. It will be fully functional but the receiver may have cosmetic defects such as pitting or washed out markings. They just parkerize right over it.

Some guys don't mind this but for me it is an absolute deal killer. I won't touch a Garand with an ugly, crapped up receiver. Period stop. I don't have $800+ to spend on a rifle I couldn't stand to look at.

A "Service Grade Special" would be made on a better receiver - still reparkerized but no pitting, etc.

None of the current offerings are very appealing. A Springfield Armory Service grade would be the best value for condition and performance vs. cost.

As far as the "Specials" go. If you want one, hold out for a service grade special. They were in stock recently.

Keep watching what is available and when what you want comes up, move fast - like Fedex that day.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    So in your opinion... The Winchesters are not worth the price?

How much did the Springfield's run in comparison?

I don't mind waiting... I just feel ..for some reason...that its going to be a very long time until they have more special or service grades in stock. Although I have no real reason to believe this. But may be why I'm feeling a little compulsive. I am also hesitant though, not knowing how well it will shoot.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The CMP sold:
    1903 Springfield's until they ran out.
    1917 Enfield's until they ran out.
    M1 Carbines until they ran out.
    .22 training rifles until they ran out.

Don't wait to long.

cdstraw

Oct 9, 2008
    Frederick County, MD
    Hello all,

I Was hoping to pick up my first Garand, only to find that CMP is and has been sold out of many of their grades. I know I would like a for sure shooter... so wouldn't mind dishing out for a Service or even Special grade.

Right now CMP only has in stock:

RM1WRAS for 930.00
    or
    RM1SPECIALFIELD for 830.00

1)Which should I grab? Or should I wait and see if CMP gets more SPECIAL Grades?? I thought I heard in April that a shipment from the Phillipeans was approved.??

2)Other options other than CMP if I dare ask?? Would like to stay under 1200.00

If you want a "shooter" and for it to be from CMP... go with the RM1SPECIALFIELD. If you lean more toward collect-ability, then I would maybe hold out for a better grade offering... BUT, CMP only has so much inventory and its dwindling.

Either fork over the bigger bucks for something better in the collect-ability market or get a fully functional CMP purchased ping-machine! :D

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Last time they had service grade m1s Springfields were 730 I believe, this was last fall. I picked one up and it came with a new stock. I wouldn't expect them to be less than that if they get them back in stock.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Should I be worried about the heavy pitting on the receiver as described for the special service grade?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cdstraw

Oct 9, 2008
    Frederick County, MD
    In my (admittedly limited) view, No. CMP evaluates, grades and test fires all rifles that they sell. If there was something structurally wrong with the rifle, they would not sell.

However, if you "should" have something go wrong with the rifle, everything I have ever read about CMP is that they will go out of their way to make the rifle work, including replacing your rifle should it fail under "normal" operation.

Read through the CMP forums to see some personal testimony about CMP repairing/replacing failed rifles.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Just did ...all I've seen so far are people happy with their special field grade. So since I know I want to give my self the best Chance of getting a good shooter.... I just literally overnighted my paperwork opting for the special field grade over the Winchester service grade... it was honestly so hard to decide.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Saved 100 bucks to. I was hesitant of the description with the receiver having pitting, but customers who have posted pics that i have seen , look good.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    CMP descriptions are the worst case scenario. What you get typically exceeds your expectations if they are based on the description alone. They are usually pretty good about trying their best to accommodate special requests too...for example, if you ask for a shooter, they'll typically try and get you something in the category that gauges good at the chamber and muzzle. If you ask for a lockbar sight, they'll look for one of those, etc...

Having said all that, you should also be realistic. If you expect what you read in the description, at worst you'll be satisfied and probably delighted. If you over expect...you might be disappointed. Like most things in life I guess :)

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    CMP descriptions are the worst case scenario. What you get typically exceeds your expectations if they are based on the description alone. They are usually pretty good about trying their best to accommodate special requests too...for example, if you ask for a shooter, they'll typically try and get you something in the category that gauges good at the chamber and muzzle. If you ask for a lockbar sight, they'll look for one of those, etc...

Having said all that, you should also be realistic. If you expect what you read in the description, at worst you'll be satisfied and probably delighted. If you over expect...you might be disappointed. Like most things in life I guess :)
    I looked up some pictures of the special field grade that people have posted..they looked great, and purchasers for the most part got better than they expected, pitting was minimal imo. So, opting to give my self the best Chance for a good shooter I went that route..specialfieldgrade.
    Order is in the mail..will arrive to cmp tomorrow.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I looked up some pictures of the special field grade that people have posted..they looked great, and purchasers for the most part got better than they expected, pitting was minimal imo. So, opting to give my self the best Chance for a good shooter I went that route..specialfieldgrade.
    Order is in the mail..will arrive to cmp tomorrow.

Awesome! I think you'll end up thrilled. Everyone should have a CMP Garand in the safe :party29:

Do they still sell the spam cans of .30-06 ammo? The HXP shoots clean and is pretty accurate. Well worth the money spent.

J1911

Aug 27, 2014
    SoMD
    The CMP sold:
    1903 Springfield's until they ran out.
    1917 Enfield's until they ran out.
    M1 Carbines until they ran out.
    .22 training rifles until they ran out.

Don't wait to long.

It would be nice if they were able to follow that up with...

M-14s until they run out
    M-16s until they run out
    M-60s until they run out

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    They do sell the HXP ball ammo. I'll add it to my order once they get it... this HXP brass can be reloaded I'm assuming?

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    If you want the HXP ammo I would grab it asap, sales update from may 24th said "final call quantities are low". Seems expensive now but it is good ammo never had a problem with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom