• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I haven't seen this posted here before but I found it a good read, especially the dissenting opinions.
    This is an analysis of the court case where the security guard left the building and went into the business' parking lot.

Although it doesn't address the issue of getting a handgun to/from a business it is a beacon on how the court reasoned.

It seems to me that there are still unanswered questions.
    If a business has two or more buildings just what are the confines of the business?
    Regarding the transport issue: in the multi-building case would I have to ship a separate firearm to myself and to each building?
    Geesh. :confused:

Roguell BLUE v. PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY, Maryland, et al.
    http://caselaw.findlaw.com/md-court-of-appeals/1645512.html

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Documentation.
    You need it and lots of it.
    Letters you write to the company you work for explaining the problem. If something happens and they ignore it, they can be liable (IANAL)
    Any witnesses at work who witness anything.
    Video surveillance recordings. (you may want to set something up in your car and point camera at the store?
    Police reports already mentioned.

Sorry for what you are going through. Good luck.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I haven't seen this posted here before but I found it a good read, especially the dissenting opinions.
    This is an analysis of the court case where the security guard left the building and went into the business' parking lot.

Although it doesn't address the issue of getting a handgun to/from a business it is a beacon on how the court reasoned.

It seems to me that there are still unanswered questions.
    If a business has two or more buildings just what are the confines of the business?
    Regarding the transport issue: in the multi-building case would I have to ship a separate firearm to myself and to each building?
    Geesh. :confused:

Roguell BLUE v. PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY, Maryland, et al.
    http://caselaw.findlaw.com/md-court-of-appeals/1645512.html

Thanks for that case. The gist of it is, the security guard for the nightclub violated the law when he was in the nightclub's parking lot, which was owned by the nightclub, with a handgun on his person. Essentially, the Court of Appeals held that "confines" only means the building owned by the employer.

Seems pretty clear that transporting the handgun between the employer's place of business and the employee's home would also get one in trouble.

To think this stupid law was passed in 1972 and it has never been changed is just insane. The law is nearly as old as I am.

Edit to add: At least the Assistant State's Attorney was reasonable and Nolle'd the charges. Have to wonder what, if anything, the defendant had to do in return. The defendant just lost his malicious prosecution, false arrest, etc. case.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    I'll be the first to apologize if I'm wrong, but the OP sounds like they might be friends with the guy who posted about ghosts in his house...and never came back.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The person to see about bringing charges is a District Court Comishner . They are employees of the the State Court system, not a County, or affiliated with any LE agency . They are the front line judicial officer in thr state.( I'd list their duties, but that's thread drift).

By law a minimum of one per county is available 24/7 , usually several. Call or presumably check on line for available locations at any given moment.

BGAndrea

Mar 28, 2009
    Yes... ANYONE can "claim to be a former detective" with any agency. The question is... Was his claim real?

He sounds like a real loose screw. But, is he a genuine threat?

In the end... If the OP believes the threat to be real... and that the person has the intention and means to carry out that threat... Then a MoCo PD Supervisor needs to be contacted to find out why the Officer failed to take a Police Report for what amounts to a Felony/Aggravated Assault by Threat.

Yes his claim was real!!! There are tons of newspaper articles about him and hundreds of search results on Judiciary Case Search of cases he was involved in. He was on the "do not call list" of cops deemed untrustworthy in the courtroom, but apparently that list is no longer used. I spoke with the owner as well as the manager from another location and we are going to apply for our CCW with the help of a full-time personal protection expert who does the training as well as helps fill out the application.

BGAndrea

Mar 28, 2009
    Montgomery County police refuse to write a report because apparently making a verbal threat is not a crime in Maryland. I asked them if that applied to an officer of the law threatening to use his power in that capacity to commit a crime. They said it didn't matter and actually said to me, "what's the difference if an officer threatens you or a post man?". I was shocked and replied, "Officer, let me ask you a question...would you feel the same way if a Navy Seal threatened you or a petite cocktail waitress?" They responded it didn't matter. I seriously feel like I am living in a horror movie where the police are protecting their own and I am left helpless. Thanks to you guys here, I now know it is legal to carry at work. While this isn't as ideal as carrying full-time CCW, it's better than nothing as I apply for my CCW. I'm going to get a Mossberg shotgun tomorrow to keep under my desk. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. In addition, I will be carrying one of my 1911s or my Glock 26.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Did you try calling MSP?

The FBI has agents that investigate police departments. If the threat is real, and MSP does not respond, I'd call them.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    You might want to contact the Baltimore Sun reporters who wrote those stories.

IF it's true that he's still on the job, after having sex with 14-year-olds, then this state and it's police are a lot more f*cked up than anybody thought.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Yes his claim was real!!! There are tons of newspaper articles about him and hundreds of search results on Judiciary Case Search of cases he was involved in. He was on the "do not call list" of cops deemed untrustworthy in the courtroom, but apparently that list is no longer used. I spoke with the owner as well as the manager from another location and we are going to apply for our CCW with the help of a full-time personal protection expert who does the training as well as helps fill out the application.

Why not tell us his name. There are a lot of knowledgeable people with a vast amount of experience.

Tell us who he is.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I do not want to say his name, but I can neither confirm nor deny that is him.

Your claims will hold much more weight here if we know this is for real. Excuse us, but we get many loons come into the forum with grand stories.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Montgomery County police refuse to write a report because apparently making a verbal threat is not a crime in Maryland. I asked them if that applied to an officer of the law threatening to use his power in that capacity to commit a crime. They said it didn't matter and actually said to me, "what's the difference if an officer threatens you or a post man?". I was shocked and replied, "Officer, let me ask you a question...would you feel the same way if a Navy Seal threatened you or a petite cocktail waitress?" They responded it didn't matter. I seriously feel like I am living in a horror movie where the police are protecting their own and I am left helpless. Thanks to you guys here, I now know it is legal to carry at work. While this isn't as ideal as carrying full-time CCW, it's better than nothing as I apply for my CCW. I'm going to get a Mossberg shotgun tomorrow to keep under my desk. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. In addition, I will be carrying one of my 1911s or my Glock 26.

Sounds like you bad lucked into a couple of real DB smart ass cops. You need to find a few of the sickeningly polite cops they find to film on Live PD to help you.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I do not want to say his name, but I can neither confirm nor deny that is him.

Don't let anyone here press you into disclosing his name. You can leave yourself open for who knows what legal issues in this day and age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom