• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rafster63

Aug 1, 2017
    One of our guys just received his Maryland Handgun Permit yesterday. In the "Restrictions" section on the back of the permit it reads:

"Off duty while employed by XXX Company. (Not valid where Firearms are prohibited by law.)"

The question is, does the first line define when the permit IS VALID? Meaning only while off duty during his employment working at his company?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I've got a similar restriction. The way I'm reading it, it means:

a. Valid during off-duty hours only.
    b. Valid only as long as employed by that company.

The latter may be appealable. I'm going to ask for a review on mine, I'm getting close to retirement eligibility.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Suggest he send an appeal in to the HPRB within 10 days of yesterday (don't be late) requesting the restriction be removed as being vague, ambiguous and as a likely violation of his 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination. Tell him to send certified mail and request a delivery confirmation. Then tell him to subscribe to MDS and catch up on his HPRB reading. This is not legal advice.

Go to the Introductions thread and introduce yourself. Welcome.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Suggest he send an appeal in to the HPRB within 10 days of yesterday (don't be late) requesting the restriction be removed as being vague, ambiguous and as a likely violation of his 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination. Tell him to send certified mail and request a delivery confirmation. Then tell him to subscribe to MDS and catch up on his HPRB reading. This is not legal advice.

Nah, nah nah.. Read some other threads where the experts tell you to yuck it up with officers.. ;)

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    My guess is that he told MSP that he couldn't carry while at work.

Yes, it is kind of the antithesis of all the permits requiring you be conducting business. I'd actually prefer that on mine. So if you read it literal, he can carry off the job, but if he leaves employment at XYZ, becomes disqualified :sad20:

Rafster63

Aug 1, 2017
    Thanks everyone. We read some other people's permits and consulted with a MDSP Trooper. The consensus is that the "Restrictions" section is intended to spell out condition under which you ARE authorized to carry... Which directly contradicts the definition of a "restriction", but this is how a LEO would read it if necessary. He is good and happy with it as it is. For his renewal he will request removal of the company name as a restriction. Our involvement in the intelligence community is what puts us at risk, regardless of who our employer is.

Thank you!

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks everyone. We read some other people's permits and consulted with a MDSP Trooper. The consensus is that the "Restrictions" section is intended to spell out condition under which you ARE authorized to carry... Which directly contradicts the definition of a "restriction", but this is how a LEO would read it if necessary. He is good and happy with it as it is. For his renewal he will request removal of the company name as a restriction. Our involvement in the intelligence community is what puts us at risk, regardless of who our employer is.

Thank you!

That you would even have to do that evidences the inherent problem with these unnecessary restrictions. I hope the Sheriff's deputy that stops him for a tail light thinks just like the MSP Trooper. BTW, ask three troopers get three different answers. Good luck to you and your associate.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC

Good suggestion I recommend doing this ..::but it doesn't always work ..ask me how I know ha ha. HPRB member even said he was confused with my "restrictions" and wouldn't be able to discern if I was working or not..still MSP sustained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    That you would even have to do that evidences the inherent problem with these unnecessary restrictions. I hope the Sheriff's deputy that stops him for a tail light thinks just like the MSP Trooper. BTW, ask three troopers get three different answers. Good luck to you and your associate.

So true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom