Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Shotguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2008, 04:54 AM #1
hughmon's Avatar
hughmon hughmon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,617
hughmon hughmon is offline
Senior Member
hughmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,617
Practice options with my HD shotgun

What options are there for practice and training with my HD shotgun. At Cresap I can shoot slugs, and at Continental Buckshot at static paper targets.

I have not tried trap, or skeet. Would I be laughed off the range trying to practice with my 18" cylinder choke 870, especially as a total noob?

I wish I had some land way out in the country, I'd buy trap thrower and have at it.
__________________
Be thankful we don't get all the government we pay for.
hughmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM #2
ShiNNinG's Avatar
ShiNNinG ShiNNinG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: White Marsh
Posts: 223
ShiNNinG ShiNNinG is offline
Member
ShiNNinG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: White Marsh
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughmon View Post
What options are there for practice and training with my HD shotgun. At Cresap I can shoot slugs, and at Continental Buckshot at static paper targets.

I have not tried trap, or skeet. Would I be laughed off the range trying to practice with my 18" cylinder choke 870, especially as a total noob?

I wish I had some land way out in the country, I'd buy trap thrower and have at it.
Been to both ranges with my 870 Express HD gun. Took it out with a couple buddies to shoot trap at Carney Rod & Gun. Sure it looked silly and I only hit 2 birds in 3 rounds but no one laughed, in fact the guy next to me had a $12K shotgun and was very nice and gave me a few pointers. But in the end, the 870 Express is not meant for that kind of shooting, where the target starts at least 10 yards away and is moving quickly.

If sporting is something you want to take a decent crack at, get a different barrel for your 870, I found a couple on Cabellas for around $170 I think. That and about 15 minutes of your time to switch it out before you go and you will have a much better time.
ShiNNinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM #3
hughmon's Avatar
hughmon hughmon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,617
hughmon hughmon is offline
Senior Member
hughmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiNNinG View Post
Been to both ranges with my 870 Express HD gun. Took it out with a couple buddies to shoot trap at Carney Rod & Gun. Sure it looked silly and I only hit 2 birds in 3 rounds but no one laughed, in fact the guy next to me had a $12K shotgun and was very nice and gave me a few pointers. But in the end, the 870 Express is not meant for that kind of shooting, where the target starts at least 10 yards away and is moving quickly.

If sporting is something you want to take a decent crack at, get a different barrel for your 870, I found a couple on Cabellas for around $170 I think. That and about 15 minutes of your time to switch it out before you go and you will have a much better time.
At this point I am interested in working my shotgun in its current HD configuration. Shooting Skeet and Trap for its sake is something I would look to do at some other time. Its nice to know that it was not too much of a problem to show up at a skeet or trap rand with your HD shotgun.
__________________
Be thankful we don't get all the government we pay for.
hughmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM #4
E.Shell's Avatar
E.Shell E.Shell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: AA & DorCo
Posts: 5,940
E.Shell E.Shell is offline
Senior Member
E.Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: AA & DorCo
Posts: 5,940
Some ranges had a minimum length for shotgun barrels, but if you are able to access a range with it, I would recommend skeet. The distances involved in trap shooting require a tighter choke and the shooting techniques lend themselves to longer barrels.

You should be able to get some free coaching at almost any skeet range if you ask for suggestions. The game of skeet, with doubles and varying target angles, lends itself well to HD practice. The shots are fast and you have the chance to operate your shotgun quickly to ingrain the muscle memory required to quickly stroke the pump. It will become an unconscious habit to quickly reload the gun after each shot.

When you catch on some, start shooting skeet "international style", with the gun dismounted and the butt below your elbow. The gun is not shouldered until the bird is called/launched and so you'll have additional "quick draw" practice. This style will sharpen your gun mounting speed and technique and teach you to get on target quickly.
__________________
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free" - J. W. Von Goethe
E.Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:53 AM #5
hughmon's Avatar
hughmon hughmon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,617
hughmon hughmon is offline
Senior Member
hughmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
Some ranges had a minimum length for shotgun barrels, but if you are able to access a range with it, I would recommend skeet. The distances involved in trap shooting require a tighter choke and the shooting techniques lend themselves to longer barrels.

You should be able to get some free coaching at almost any skeet range if you ask for suggestions. The game of skeet, with doubles and varying target angles, lends itself well to HD practice. The shots are fast and you have the chance to operate your shotgun quickly to ingrain the muscle memory required to quickly stroke the pump. It will become an unconscious habit to quickly reload the gun after each shot.

When you catch on some, start shooting skeet "international style", with the gun dismounted and the butt below your elbow. The gun is not shouldered until the bird is called/launched and so you'll have additional "quick draw" practice. This style will sharpen your gun mounting speed and technique and teach you to get on target quickly.
Looks like skeet is my best bet. Thank you E.Shell
__________________
Be thankful we don't get all the government we pay for.
hughmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM #6
Adams74Chevy's Avatar
Adams74Chevy Adams74Chevy is offline
Hits broadsides of barns
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Carroll Co.
Posts: 2,701
Adams74Chevy Adams74Chevy is offline
Hits broadsides of barns
Adams74Chevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Carroll Co.
Posts: 2,701
Anyone know of any skeet ranges open to the public in the Frederick or Gettysburg area?
__________________
Free people will never remain free if they are not willing, if need be, to fight for their vital interests -John Foster Dulles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake46319 View Post
Everything needs a bayonet lug. Everything.
Adams74Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM #7
hughmon's Avatar
hughmon hughmon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,617
hughmon hughmon is offline
Senior Member
hughmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams74Chevy View Post
Anyone know of any skeet ranges open to the public in the Frederick or Gettysburg area?
That would be the next question.
__________________
Be thankful we don't get all the government we pay for.
hughmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:40 PM #8
Adams74Chevy's Avatar
Adams74Chevy Adams74Chevy is offline
Hits broadsides of barns
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Carroll Co.
Posts: 2,701
Adams74Chevy Adams74Chevy is offline
Hits broadsides of barns
Adams74Chevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Carroll Co.
Posts: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughmon View Post
That would be the next question.
you have now entered the MD Shooter Zone :dramatic music:
__________________
Free people will never remain free if they are not willing, if need be, to fight for their vital interests -John Foster Dulles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake46319 View Post
Everything needs a bayonet lug. Everything.
Adams74Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM #9
RipkinC's Avatar
RipkinC RipkinC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Free America
Posts: 1,220
Images: 4
RipkinC RipkinC is offline
Senior Member
RipkinC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Free America
Posts: 1,220
Images: 4
Do a flush (away from you) or flurry (toward you) event if you can find one... They are fun, Multiple targets in the air, as fast as you can go. Be careful though the barrel tends to get super hot after a round where you put 10-20 threw it.
Also look into the IDPA clubs to find out abut practicle rifle/shotgun competitions and/or 3-gun comps.
__________________
Free at last, free at last, thank god almighty im free from owe-malleys grasp at last!

-"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." P.J. O'Rourke
RipkinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM #10
hughmon's Avatar
hughmon hughmon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,617
hughmon hughmon is offline
Senior Member
hughmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipkinC View Post
Do a flush (away from you) or flurry (toward you) event if you can find one... They are fun, Multiple targets in the air, as fast as you can go. Be careful though the barrel tends to get super hot after a round where you put 10-20 threw it.
Also look into the IDPA clubs to find out abut practicle rifle/shotgun competitions and/or 3-gun comps.
More good sugestions. I think they do IDPA up in Thurmont. I don't recall if I have seen any discussions involving shotguns though.
__________________
Be thankful we don't get all the government we pay for.
hughmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Shotguns


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2018, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service