Custom AR barrel" X-Caliber? Other suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I am looking to have a couple of custom AR barrels made for me for .300 BLK and .458 SOCOM SBR builds. I came across X-Caliber this morning and am seriously debating getting the barrels from it. Anybody have any experience with X-Caliber barrels?

Anybody have any other suggestions for a custom AR barrel? Looking at 12" for the 458 SOCOM and 10.5" for the 300 BLK, and I want both of them to be HBAR or Heavy (yeah, I know the debate about HBAR/SBR and I am erring on the side of caution).

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Noveske barrels are well made and come with a gas block and gas tube. The gas block is already mounted.

https://www.noveske.com/collections/barrels/products/300-aac-blackout-barrel

Negative Ghost Rider. :D

"Barrel installation should be performed by a qualified gunsmith. Installation of the gas block taper pins and gas block is required to complete the assembly process. "

Either way, a nice little setup, but even if it was installed, you'd have to remove it to get the barrel nut on.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

"Barrel installation should be performed by a qualified gunsmith. Installation of the gas block taper pins and gas block is required to complete the assembly process. "

Either way, a nice little setup, but even if it was installed, you'd have to remove it to get the barrel nut on.

Yeah, my JP Rifle barrel assembly came with the cooling fins, gas block, and gas tube "installed". It all had to come off before I could put the barrel onto the upper receiver, and then I had to re-install everything afterward. That definitely isn't a worry for me.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Noveske barrels are well made and come with a gas block and gas tube. The gas block is already mounted.

https://www.noveske.com/collections/barrels/products/300-aac-blackout-barrel

Problem with Noveske is that they are medium contour. Really wanted to go with Wilson Combat, but those are a special contour, and not HBAR or Heavy. I have found a couple of HBAR SBR barrels that would fit the bill, but I have to dig out that pile of printouts to see what they were. I know I wasn't too overjoyed with the manufacturers. Guess I should start another thread with those manufacturers and see if they are worthwhile. Going to have to dig through some paper.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Problem with Noveske is that they are medium contour. Really wanted to go with Wilson Combat, but those are a special contour, and not HBAR or Heavy. I have found a couple of HBAR SBR barrels that would fit the bill, but I have to dig out that pile of printouts to see what they were. I know I wasn't too overjoyed with the manufacturers. Guess I should start another thread with those manufacturers and see if they are worthwhile. Going to have to dig through some paper.

Contour does not matter.

If it's not marked HBAR or annotated on the manufacturers site as HBAR, by Maryland logic, it's not an HBAR.

You could have a barrel the size of a truck axle and if one of the two above criteria is not met, it's not considered an HBAR.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Contour does not matter.

If it's not marked HBAR or annotated on the manufacturers site as HBAR, by Maryland [State Police] logic, it's not an HBAR.

You could have a barrel the size of a truck axle and if one of the two above criteria is not met, it's not considered an HBAR.

I fixed your post for you, and I already know all of this.

So, show me a SBR barrel with an actual M4 profile that is marked/advertised as HBAR or Heavy and I will buy it. The site I linked allows me to build any barrel I want with a HBAR or Heavy designation. Granted, the barrel will in fact be HBAR or Heavy if I pick that option, and the order form will specify that designation on it.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I fixed your post for you, and I already know all of this.

So, show me a SBR barrel with an actual M4 profile that is marked/advertised as HBAR or Heavy and I will buy it. The site I linked allows me to build any barrel I want with a HBAR or Heavy designation. Granted, the barrel will in fact be HBAR or Heavy if I pick that option, and the order form will specify that designation on it.

I don't have a running list of everyone on this site who comprehends the stupidity of Maryland laws.

Since you didn't mention having the barrels marked in your original post, and there was no link, I was just trying to be helpful. I'll make a mental note for the future.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Oh crap - you're right! Well just take Chad's class. He has a scope to make sure you get perfect alignment.

Still - it's nice that the thing comes with a gas block and tube.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I don't have a running list of everyone on this site who comprehends the stupidity of Maryland laws.

Since you didn't mention having the barrels marked in your original post, and there was no link, I was just trying to be helpful. I'll make a mental note for the future.

I hear you and I appreciate the thought behind your post. I've already had the debate with others as to whether an SBR barrel needs to be HBAR or not. There is disagreement there. I've done the research on what is considered "HBAR", and the MSP advisory is about as good as it gets in this regard. Stamped or advertised as such. Thing is, I cannot find my reference that states this. Thought I had seen it in a MSP Advisory, but I don't have anything in my saved files that supports my memory. So, now I am sitting here wondering where the heck I saw the MSP position on what constitutes HBAR.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Ahh - an HBAR for a post pan. Ok - how about White Oak?

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/300-blackout-barrels-available-in-7-5-and-10-5-lengths.html

[EDIT] Hmm - not advertised as HBAR, but looks to be heavy contour.

[EDIT 2] wait! 300 black does not require HBAR!!!

We can save that debate for another thread. MSP says completely interchangeable parts, AG says "in order for a firearm to be considered a copy of a listed assault weapon, and therefore governed by the regulated firearms law, there must be a similarity between the internal components and function of the firearm in question and those of the listed weapons."

At this very moment, I am going insane trying to find my HBAR reference from MSP that states a barrel is HBAR if it is stamped as such or advertised as such.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I hear you and I appreciate the thought behind your post. I've already had the debate with others as to whether an SBR barrel needs to be HBAR or not. There is disagreement there. I've done the research on what is considered "HBAR", and the MSP advisory is about as good as it gets in this regard. Stamped or advertised as such. Thing is, I cannot find my reference that states this. Thought I had seen it in a MSP Advisory, but I don't have anything in my saved files that supports my memory. So, now I am sitting here wondering where the heck I saw the MSP position on what constitutes HBAR.

Somewhere in an HBAR thread, I posted an email chain between MSP and myself.
    If you can't find it, I'll post it here later, when I am home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom