• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm leaning very heavily towards the Ruger SP101. Now...2.25" barrel or 3"? Mostly will be used for HD if my glock is out with me and occasionally at the range. If it ever is carried concealed by her it will be OWB under a jacket or shirt.

If it's not an ankle gun than the 3 inch is the clear winner

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Great gun show there...nice!

I had a chance to pick up a 1960s Colt just like yours at the Easton Gun Show for $400 two weeks ago from a walkaround who had just arrived. Passed because of other priorities but that gun was bought in minutes.

Yup, one of my favorite CCW choices below hides in the protective shadow of one my favorite Open Carry 5-shots—when hammer snagging ain’t a concern.

This shrouded hammer model is a stainless steel frame, which adds weight for Carry, but helps with recoil.
    Wow Rack. One is a CCW, the other qualifies as artillery!!!

Does the top one come with a couple Sherpas?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Wow Rack. One is a CCW, the other qualifies as artillery!!!

Does the top one come with a couple Sherpas?

No, but it’s probably the only revolver you will ever see that comes with a safety...

Attachments

• D3E06044-9A72-42F1-AF4F-D93CFAD08DA0.jpeg
      D3E06044-9A72-42F1-AF4F-D93CFAD08DA0.jpeg
      11 KB · Views: 142

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    If you are satisfied with .38 Special +P, then this 3-inch barrel S&W Model 64 can be had for $400 at United Gun Store in Rockville, but with a pick up not until the third week of December.

If I didn’t already own 2 revolvers with this somewhat rare 3-inch barrel, then I would have grabbed it today.

Attachments

• 79362743-9EFB-4838-B2CD-18E829D5A315.jpg
      79362743-9EFB-4838-B2CD-18E829D5A315.jpg
      52.8 KB · Views: 136

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    No, but it’s probably the only revolver you will ever see that comes with a safety...

R&R has shown it to me a couple times, its a monster of a firearm, definitely not for the timid.

That's what I was thinking. Also leaning towards DAO. Thoughts?

If trigger pull is no issue (good hand strength), in a purely personal defense gun, then I'd agree DAO is the way to go.

Assuming that's used, I can get the new SP101 for $580. Leaning that way if i up the budget.

Not bad, and that gun should last a life-time. :thumbsup:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    That's what I was thinking. Also leaning towards DAO. Thoughts?

It will make it less fun at the range. The SA trigger pull is significantly lighter and easier to targeted shoot.

I didn't even think about it but Jeff brings up a GREAT point on the 64 above. It's a tank and they are kinda cheap now since the market was/is kinda flooded with prisons and security companies dumping them for glock deals. Jeff is right about that barrel size being more rare but I wouldn't consider it collectible just yet. The 64/65 never gave me a boner but that's not to say they aren't fine working guns.

If we are changing the parameters please also don't discount the old Colt police positives. They are easily in your OP price range, and smaller in grip size which depending on your wife could be a huge positive.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    It will make it less fun at the range. The SA trigger pull is significantly lighter and easier to targeted shoot.

I didn't even think about it but Jeff brings up a GREAT point on the 64 above. It's a tank and they are kinda cheap now since the market was/is kinda flooded with prisons and security companies dumping them for glock deals. Jeff is right about that barrel size being more rare but I wouldn't consider it collectible just yet. The 64/65 never gave me a boner but that's not to say they aren't fine working guns.

If we are changing the parameters please also don't discount the old Colt police positives. They are easily in your OP price range, and smaller in grip size which depending on your wife could be a huge positive.

She has handled quite a few and loved the SP101 the best. I'm gonna get her shooting a few and go from there but the SP101 is the heavy favorite right now.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Assuming that's used, I can get the new SP101 for $580. Leaning that way if i up the budget.

Yes, it's a used gun. Going new for the SP-101 would be a good move. I do like the SP-101.

That Model 64 that Rack listed would definitely be on my short list if I was you. I love those 3 inch barrel guns.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Yes, it's a used gun. Going new for the SP-101 would be a good move. I do like the SP-101.

That Model 64 that Rack listed would definitely be on my short list if I was you. I love those 3 inch barrel guns.

I can get the SP101 in 3" as well. That IP is a hike from me. To see it, buy it and return in 7 days to pick it up would be hell since I work non stop lol.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    S&W Ladysmith, M65 I believe. 3 inch barrel and round butt, perfect for your requirements. Probably outside stated price. 2nd choice Ruger SP101.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I can get the SP101 in 3" as well. That IP is a hike from me. To see it, buy it and return in 7 days to pick it up would be hell since I work non stop lol.

Man, I feel you on that. So many times I've seen things here that I want but, damn, it's a hella ride for me to get anywhere and my free time is non-existent!!!

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Reinforcing your preference for .38SPL

wtf is he talking about ?

"357 is not as accurate as a 38"
    "can you take out a 357 magnum revolver and fire as accurately as a 38 ? Probably not."

It was hard enough listening to him but he completely lost me there :shrug:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I'm leaning very heavily towards the Ruger SP101. Now...2.25" barrel or 3"? Mostly will be used for HD if my glock is out with me and occasionally at the range. If it ever is carried concealed by her it will be OWB under a jacket or shirt.
    If it's not an ankle gun than the 3 inch is the clear winner
    Agreed, I've had both, traded my 3 inch SP101 for a Gen 2 Glock 17 due to the exposed hammer, but for OWB carry it's definitely the winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom