• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranb

Aug 4, 2015
    https://youtu.be/YrHpe5Z93wM

Can't even knock over cards... So I call ********.
    The video in the original post is crap. A piece of fluff with a BS claim about missing the deer but killing it when the bullet passes close by.

A 750 grain bullet moving 2800 feet per second doesn't gain magical properties just because it's .51 inches wide. Keith Warren acts like everyone watching his video is stupid.

Ranb

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Nice work. It took 149 posts for someone to mention it was a cull hunt. I amend my remarks that even though it's an eradication mission, meat should be conserved and donated.

I mentioned it in post #35 and I'm sure others have too.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    Ridiculous to hunt deer with a 50 bmg in the first place!

Some people are just stupid and they give the DNR reason to be on our arses. Don't downplay the validity of the claim. I shot at a groundhog with my .243 Forester and missed him by a smidge, because I flinched at a noise, but he died. I suppose the combination of the whizzing bullet and muzzle blast gave him a coronary. I've had it happen with squirrels, too, so why not a deer. A .50's muzzle blast shakes the earth and air.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I suppose the combination of the whizzing bullet and muzzle blast gave him a coronary. I've had it happen with squirrels, too, so why not a deer. A .50's muzzle blast shakes the earth and air.

no, this myth has been busted several times in this thread. go back and look at this video

he probably hit the eyes. someone posted upthread a ballistics gel test from Jerry Miculek. .50bmg has very little expansion in the first 8 inches and almost no cavity. If he hit the deer in the eyes, it probably just went through and through.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Some people are just stupid and they give the DNR reason to be on our arses. Don't downplay the validity of the claim. I shot at a groundhog with my .243 Forester and missed him by a smidge, because I flinched at a noise, but he died. I suppose the combination of the whizzing bullet and muzzle blast gave him a coronary. I've had it happen with squirrels, too, so why not a deer. A .50's muzzle blast shakes the earth and air.

What did you shoot with that you missed a squirrel and it died?
    Those tree rats are immortal! I"ve put several 22LR through them (body shots my son took) before and they still kept moving. I had one on my feeder while crossbow hunting. Rascal tried to open the lid and I put a field point from chest to hip. Darn thing was stunned for 2 minutes then got back up and tried to crawl under a log. Squirrels are like vampires, they are only dead when you blow or cut the head off. Never believe a squirrel is truly dead until then :)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    no, this myth has been busted several times in this thread. go back and look at this video

he probably hit the eyes. someone posted upthread a ballistics gel test from Jerry Miculek. .50bmg has very little expansion in the first 8 inches and almost no cavity. If he hit the deer in the eyes, it probably just went through and through.
    If it hit anything more than fur, the hydrostatic shock would have caused the damage - he hit something, but it wasn't a direct hit.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    What did you shoot with that you missed a squirrel and it died?
    Those tree rats are immortal! I"ve put several 22LR through them (body shots my son took) before and they still kept moving. I had one on my feeder while crossbow hunting. Rascal tried to open the lid and I put a field point from chest to hip. Darn thing was stunned for 2 minutes then got back up and tried to crawl under a log. Squirrels are like vampires, they are only dead when you blow or cut the head off. Never believe a squirrel is truly dead until then :)
    This has been my experience with squirrels & .22's. When I was a new hunter I shot one a half a dozen times as it ran up a tree. It finally stopped climbing and I expected it to fall off. I approached and found it clinging to the tree - apparently quite dead so I knocked it off with a stick. I never forgot that squirrels can die with their claws in the bark of a tree and hang like that for a LONG time. It's happened to me more than once with .22's.
    I switched to hunting squirrels with shotguns and never had that problem.

With shotguns you tend to find shot in your meat but that's another issue entirely.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yup, you’ve gotta think on it. The bullet is bleeding energy the entire length of travel. More at the beginning then the end because of the higher velocity. If it could kill an animal from a near miss, the air resistance would make it act like a ballon. It would could tearing out of the barrel and then fall to the ground within a dozen feet from bleeding off all of the energy.

Only way a near miss can kill something is either you literally scare something to death (usually by it running head long in to something and breaking its neck/skull) or the bullet impacts very near by and the fragmentation hits and kills what you were aiming at (and that is unlikely to kill something).

Muzzle blast itself if something were really close to the barrel might kill something small. Stick your hand very near the muzzle and you are likely to take a chunk out of some fingers. But that is from the actual blast of escaping gases, not the bullet passage.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    After watching the video several times, I wonder if the bullet didn't pass right through the munching mouth of the deer, maybe hitting the tongue?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If it hit anything more than fur, the hydrostatic shock would have caused the damage - he hit something, but it wasn't a direct hit.

I thought so too but take a look at the ballistics gel test. It took 8-9 inches for the hydrostatic shock to set in. The bullet may simply have pushed the eyes out the other side. If you look at the OP video carefully (roughly 3:50 mark), you do see a small hole in front of the eye when he holds the deer head up.

Take a look at this and how long it took to expand.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    If you look at the OP video carefully (roughly 3:50 mark), you do see a small hole in front of the eye when he holds the deer head up.

Plus, the guy clearly stated, at the end of the video, that the eyes were "sucked out of the deer's head".
    My interpretation of that statement: that is the exact evidence that the bullet went through both eye sockets.

03flhtcui

Jun 24, 2013
    Crazy

Ridiculous to hunt deer with a 50 bmg in the first place!

Only in Maryland with small deer would someone use that gun . My last deer was a 218lb buck with a .35 marlin , maybe I should of used a bazooka.
    Just saying. Just because you have such a nice weapon, your not Hunting elephants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom