PNTC is proud to announce The 1st Annual Trijicon / NRA World Shooting Championship

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trp7

Apr 3, 2009
    World Shooting Championship

The 1st Annual Trijicon / NRA World Shooting Championship will be held at the Peacemaker National Training Center in Glengary, WV and will crown “The World Shooting Champion”.

The NRA’s Competitive Shooting Division will manage and score the match with the assistance of the Peacemaker National Training Center match staff. The overall objective of this match is to assemble the top 400 shooters from around the world to include existing and previous champion shooters from virtually every organized shooting sport worldwide and crown one competitor, The Undisputed World Shooting Champion, a distinction never been bestowed upon any shooter in history.

All shooters will compete over the course of four days in twelve equally weighted, officially sanctioned disciplines from various shooting sports. All firearms and ammunition will be provided for each event thus shooters will compete with common firearms and ammunition. This will level the playing field, as specialized equipment for each discipline will be provided for all competitors. This will also alleviate the need for new equipment to be purchased for unfamiliar events; and assist with international and domestic travel for all competitors.

Match Information & Key Dates:
    Match Staff & VIP Shooting Dates: Monday September 8th & Tuesday September 9th
    Actual Match Dates: Wednesday September 10th 2014 through Saturday September 13th 2014
    Mandatory Shooter Meeting Briefing: Tuesday September 9th 7PM-9PM - Squad information and start times given to shooters at this time
    Official Match Check In: Tuesday September 9th 2014 Noon - 7PM Hampton Inn Winchester VA - 1204 Berryville Avenue, Winchester, Virginia, 22601​
    Banquet & Awards Ceremony: Saturday September 13th 8PM - 11PM "Winchester Sportsplex" 221 Commonwealth Ct, Winchester, VA 22602

Follow the link for further details or contact me for sponsorship opportunities.
    http://peacemakernational.com/wsc
    tom@peacemakernational.com

Here is a video that was just released. I will post more details as soon as I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4dPtWdZ258&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BE SURE TO PRE-REGISTER FOR THE MATCH BY SENDING YOUR NAME, PHONE, ADDRESS, EMAIL & BRIEF SHOOTING QUALIFICATIONS TO: info@peacemakernational.com

Comments On Registration, Cost, Invitations & Spectators
    - Initial selected Champion & VIP shooters will receive first opportunity to secure their match slot by Mid February 2014 provided they are on the pre-registration list and are approved for invitation by the WSC committee made up of the NRA Competition Division and PNTC executives.

- If you have won regional and or other high club level matches, are a highly qualified shooter and would like to be considered for this match, would like to be considered for invitation in the WSC submit your information ASAP.

- Not all great shooters need to have a "championship" in a mainstream shooting discipline to pre-register or be invited. We recognize as do many shooters that the winner of this match could come from a variety of shooting backgrounds and not necessarily be a "competition shooter."

- Top/Military, Federal Agency, Law Enforcement, and outstanding "non-competition" shooters, and "qualified celebrity level shooters" are encouraged to submit their info & brief background for consideration.

- A limited number of entries will be available to Peacemaker National members by mid March 2014 provided they are on the pre-registration list.

- Registrations will be sent via email invitations to selected shooters with the first invitations to champions & VIP's sent by Mid February 2014. BE SURE YOU SUBMIT YOUR INFO! Additional invitations will go out to targeted shooters from various disciplines and groups and or nations beginning March 1st 2014. NOTE: When you receive your official match invitation registration you will have approximately 7 days to register online and reserve your spot.

- Spectators will be permitted on a limited basis. Ticket information and spectator registration will open by summer of 2014.

- Registration / Match Fee Cost: Match fee's will be announced soon. The match is four days Sept 10-13 on provided appropriate firearms and ammunition for 12 stages and 8 side matches. Show up and shoot...

- Scoring / Diverse Shooter Inclusion: Shooters with "specialized" abilities in a particular shooting sport will be able to win their specialized "Match Segment" while scoring much lower overall. Example: Its possible to finish 278th overall but still win the "Shotgun" or other Segment. Rules and scoring are meant to be inclusive of specialized shooters. Its also possible to win the overall match and additionally
    win "segments" and or stages/side matches. In other words you may not win overall but you may win or want to show you can win your segment.

- Media: All media should contact PNTC at info@peacemakernational.com

- Match Website, Course of Fire Etc: http://peacemakernational.com/wsc

- Sponsors: Some Sponsorships Are Still Available. Interested Sponsors should contact tom@peacemakernational.com for info and consideration

- Current Sponsors: Trijicon, Colt, FNH USA, Daniel Defense, RangeLog etc.

- Match Rules: Official match rules and detailed match info will be released on the match website soon.

- Match Staff: Info available soon. To be considered part of the volunteer match staff please submit your match staff experience and or relevant background to tom@peacemakernational.com. This is a Sept 6th - Sept 13th commitment. Match staff will receive per diem etc, ability to shoot the match on staff shoot days (Sept 8 & 9)

- Awards Banquet: Shooters will have the ability to bring one (1) guest to the awards banquet and will need to reserve this at the time of registration via the online invitation/registration link. A banquet dress code will be announced soon on the match website.

Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Wow this does sound interesting. Will definitely see this one. I know I won't qualify for this but it should be interesting watching the top pros like Jerry compete.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    OP I emailed your PNTC address to volunteer to help out at the match. If there is a different address I should ping please let me know.

trp7

Apr 3, 2009
    I will keep a list of people wanting to volunteer and notify you about requirements. You may need NRA RSO training but I will check.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    Match is ongoing...through 2 days of shooting, and the match has had it's ups and downs. GOODS: About 160 shooters, with some big names: Miculek, Horner, Cooper, Green, Shue, Clark, Piatt. PNTC has great facilities. Wide variety of shooting stages (15 stages total). Match sternly laid out as a no-alibi, take-it-or-leave it endeavor. Given 1 "Mulligan" card for shooter or equipment malfunction, allowing you to re-shoot a stage, but that's it.
    OTHERS: Registration was touted as a 400 competitor limit, implying register early or be left out. When they realized they didn't have nearly the participation they wanted the registration fee went from $500 to $200 (a separate "amateur" class). Apparently those who called could get their $300 back, but those who didn't can "suck it up". Consolation is there are different prize tables...not here for the prizes, so $300 would have gone towards another gun! Entire match is geared towards the "shoot-n-scoot"/run-n-gunners. It was obvious shooters from all disciplines were not included in the planning: The Bullseye pistol stage utilized brand spankin' new Colt Gold Cups with 230gr FMJ ammo (jam-o-matic), 25 yard reduced course, and aside from the NRA official, nobody running the match who shoots bullseye (sports horns used instead of turning targets). The stage was cancelled after about 75% of folks shot it. Lots of hearburn (so much for no alibis, suck it up). Some said it was because the superstars had jams and were raising a stink. All I know is the goalposts moved after the start of the match.
    "Smallbore"...Ruger 10/22 rifles from Magnum Research, shooting with a holograph/single pane red dot, at 25 yards (on a 100 yard target). No smallbore shooters planning/running (as in Anshutz/Feinwerkbau, 50' or 50 yards on NRA or ISU targets).

No iron sight rifle stage

3 Gun Nation stage was a blast with rifle/pistol/shotgun (nice guns...FN SCAR, FN SLP comp shotgun, FN 9mm striker-fired pistol). Couple DQs when bolt locked back, shooter thought gun empty and dumped in the barrel during transition, only to find a round in the mag after cease fire. Lots of folks shooting this for the first time.

F Class was awesome with electronic targets. 4 sighters, 10 record shots, instant feedback on a monitor beside the shooter (FN .308's)

Armalite side match (5 targets, 10 shots ranging from 10 to 40 yards for speed) made me want a new rifle...the Armalite's didn't move when fired...the comp was amazing.

IDPA side match was good too...FN 9mm's against 10 poppers, with some partially hidden behind hard cover.

USPSA stage was 10 targets, 3 mags of 10 rounds, and a z pattern zig-zag to engage from (fences to obscure some targets). Lots of first timers, including myself.

Not rocking it by any means, but still a lot of fun. The Christmas list has grown considerably. Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT) is here showcasing their switch-barrel AR platform rifles. Ingenious system that allows you to change calibers (.308, .260, .243, 6.5 Creedmore, etc) with a star torque wrench (loosen 1 bolt, remove another, pull barrel out & replace). Trijicon (overall sponsor) has a bunch of their stuff out, and on the guns (again, all guns and ammo supplied). They gave each competitor a 40% off coupon (40% off retail).

As far as getting exposure to fast shooting, this is the spot. Not much for the slow/precision types. Halfway through, MTF...

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Great report......keep them coming. Pics if you got them.

I had a media pass, reservations at the Hampton Inn Winchester and a last minute schedule conflict. Next time.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    500 yard F Class

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      87.8 KB · Views: 221

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I had a club member pass but it looks like I won't get to use it at all. I have to shoot Speed Steel at MPC tomorrow because I am going down to NC for an NSSF Rimfire Challenge Regional on Saturday the 20th and I need more practice.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    WARNING: Bitter grapes, crying babies, and general hate and discontent follow. You've been warned.

Waste of time, waste of money. No rule of law...hell, no rules in general. Not representative of respective shooting disciplines (they had nobody from the respective disciplines involved in setting up stages...ready cones for smallbore and bullseye, briefs for all stages followed the run-n-gun model, etc). To answer your question, Daniel Horner of the Army Marksmanship Unit won the overall competition, and a check for $50,000. Bruce Piatt won second ($5k?), and Jerry Miculek won third ($3k?). Had they not thrown out the Bullseye pistol stage, results would have changed (i.e. shots were fired in the Bullseye match which were not recorded for final score, but shooters have a funny way of remembering exactly who shot what). For the stages remaining, they were "equally weighted"...by equally weighted, I mean any precision stage was discounted to a meaningless sidematch, and any speed match was elevated to match-deciding status. For example, 15 shots were fired for smallbore rifle for a total of 150 points. To get the "equal weighting", the smallbore score was multiplied by 2/3 to get a 100 point aggregate. Smallbore percentages ranged from mid eighty percent to one hundred percent. F-class was 10 shots for record for a total of 100 points...so whatever you shot was your percentage. For the speed events, however, it was relative weighting from the fastest shooter to the slowest, with the fastest shooter getting 100%, and the slowest (in 99% of cases) receiving zero percent. Whoever can say that this is equal weighting is either disingenuous or REALLY bad at math.

All that said, speed shooting is not my game, and I didn't do as well as I know I am capable (in all events). The entire event opened my eyes to the world of sponsored shooting, where it goes from being a sport to being a source of income...introduce money, and the entire dynamic of the game changes...I'll stick to my watch-the-grass-grow precision shooting.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I agree with what you are saying. Except I usually equate precision shooting as watching paint dry instead of grass growing. Not that I can't do it mind you but after my single year shooting bullseye I found that most of my 90 plus strings were in rapidfire instead of slow or timed. I took that as a hint that I should look into speed shooting. Turned out I was right. But I still do other things like winning 3 club metallic silhouette titles and I do have a 1000y rifle in my safe. I just don't seem to have time to shoot it much. I'll get around to it eventually.
    The problem with the true pros is they have to perform to stay sponsored. And they have to go do matches they are told to shoot. Sometimes that makes family life tough. Not really any different than being a NASCAR, F1, or Indycar driver. I have sympathy for their situations even if they love doing it. I would not. I know pros who have dropped their sponsorship for various personal reasons. Sometimes you just want to go and shoots the events you want to and often not nearly as many.
    As for the scoring each discipline was using the scoring they use. I can't fault them for trying to even the max points up. Part of the issue with speed shooting disciplines, because they use a method that rewards a combination of speed and maximum points there is a fine line to score the max in a stage that needs to be the fastest but not neccesarily the one who scores the max points. Its a points per second thing using time plus as a penalty system. So if you shoot slower and get max points you will often get beat by a shooter who shoots fast and misses a few. Lets look at a precision match run as a speed match. 10 targets on the clock, one shooter gets 8 hits out of 10 in 10 seconds while another gets all 10 in 15 seconds, so who wins? The shooter who got 8 targets wins because his point per second is .8 while the other shooter only scores .67. So the winner would get a max of 100 points for shooting the best average while the other one would get 84 points (.67/.8=.84). Obviously that kind of match would not work. Maybe there is a better system that could be utilized but the speed scoring method is how that is done and giving the precision shooters 150 points for a stage would not work either. The actual scoring gap between someone who scores 100 points and someone who scores 99 points in precision would need to be greater final point difference. Maybe using the number of X's as a multiplier on the score. I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom