• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I am looking to get a new handgun it the near future I am think of getting eather a Bersa Thunder 380 or a Rossi 642 any info on what would be a better choice would be helpfull. I have a Mossberg 500 12 Ga and a Glock 23 40 S&W/357 Sig but am looking for one that I can use as a deep concealment gun in Maryland ever becomes a shall issue state and I want one my girl can handel (she is a Non-gun person who has never shoot)

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    Hi Fordracer,

I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and would recommend one to anybody looking for a reliable, inexpensive small auto. I haven’t heard anything bad about them from anyone else.

That said, it can be a little “snappy” for new shooters. I’d suggest starting your girl out with a .22lr and moving up to the Bersa. Even a medium frame 9mm (Sigma, XD, M&P, GLOCK) is more enjoyable to shoot than the Bersa (or any small handgun).

Matt

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County

Attachments

• 651B.jpg
      651B.jpg
      12 KB · Views: 230

pigfrmr

Known Associate
    Another +1 on the Bersa, my wife has one, we both love it - 500+ rounds w/no problems. I haven't heard any complaints from anyone who owns one either. Great "feel" for a smaller hand. Lifetime service too

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you can find one, the Taurus 905 is a gem of a revolver, they are discontinued, but still around. 5rds of 9mm in moon clips in a 2" j-frame sized gun. Easy to handle and hide, fast to reload, and ammo for non-reloaders is cheap. That being said, the bersa is a marked improvement over the PPK, and costs half as much, and the rossi is a decent wheelgun.

One thing to consider is that 38sp or 380 auto tend to run about $15-20 a box, 9mm can be found for 1/2 of that, and has many more choices in premium SD ammo.

There are 2 schools of though on weither a simple DA wheelgun, or a small light recoiling auto is better for a new female shooter, best solution is to rent one of each and see what feels better for both of you (working the slide normally being the deciding factor). A snubby 38 does have a decent ammount of kick(more so with +p and heavier loads), and while a blow back 380 is "snappy" it is a heavier gun, and a lighter load so recoil is about 1/2 as much, but sharper. 9mm in a wheelgun feels a little lighter than 38s and with decent grips is pleasant to shoot.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    Thank Spot77 and nighthawk2099 I will have to check out Ontarget I have found a Taurus 605 at select fire but the $391 price tag is a bit much .

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I went to ontarget tonight but the only two Taurus 651 they had where sold but I picked up a Taurus 605 Blue for $350 now I get to play the waiting game .. btw for anyone who is interested they had 3 or 4 new Taurus 905's in stock 2 blue for $350 and 1 or 2 for $390 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom