• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I am considering getting and 30-30 lever for home defense would this be a good choice

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I am considering getting and 30-30 lever for home defense would this be a good choice

Ok but not the best. If the price is right go for it. Myself I favor my Mossberg 500 12 gauge. My Beretta PX4 40 cal handgun with Insight M3 Laser/Light and my Beretta CX4 Storm 40 cal rank up there too.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'll second the motion for a shotgun for home defense as opposed to a rifle. A rifle cartridge has enough potential penetration to not only leave your four walls but also to give your neighbors quite surprise.

Try the 12g with some #4 buck shot.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I have a Glock 23 with a 357 Sig barrel right now and I like lever actions If I can find a deal like my friends ($100) I will probley buy it and I also agree about the shotgun I am planning on getting a mavrick 88 as well

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I have a Glock 23 with a 357 Sig barrel right now and I like lever actions If I can find a deal like my friends ($100) I will probley buy it

If you do, buy it and sell it and make a few bucks...or you could PM me about it Ive always wanted a 30-30 lever action. Hell I'll be the one who you can make a few bucks off of.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    What do you guys think about .223 for home defense? Seriously - I have heard that they tend to penetrate multiple walls of sheetrock less effectively than even 9mm bullets.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    What do you guys think about .223 for home defense? Seriously - I have heard that they tend to penetrate multiple walls of sheetrock less effectively than even 9mm bullets.

It would def scare the hell out of somebody, if it had a laser/light on it it probably wouldnt be to bad bc that would give you a quick aim at somebody for 20+ rounds.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

They do, at least the lighter bullets do. This was one of the things we had to deal with when we switched from 9mm AR's to 5.56mm NATO, and this was one of the things that helped us win the argument. Once you get past the emotional kneejerk response some have, which goes about like "OMG .223 bullets!! Are you kidding?? A stray round will go through walls and bricks and cars and cows and ducks and telephone poles and kill someone five miles away" and actually look at the facts, it does fragment a lot quicker than a much heavier 9mm round.

I think a good autoloading 12 gauge is still better for home defense though. A standard 2 3/4" 12-gauge 00-buck round is firing what are essentially nine .32 caliber lead bullets at 1300 fps at once. That's going to stop almost any bad guy very effectively, without as many overpenetration issues as rifle rounds. My ideal home defense gun would be a Saiga 12 with a light and a PG stock, but that's just me :) Of course when your ass is on the line anything is better than nothing, but IMHO a 30-30 is not so good. Likely to be way too much overpenetration.

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    I use a .223 to defend my house. (Thinking from the roof sniping zombies)
    A 20 gage with buck shot to defend my bedroom.
    A .40 or a 9mm pistol to defend myself...

And if things get realy bad, a Kershaw for a back up weapon.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Here's some testing from Olympic. Interesting. They were using 55 gr. .223 HP's.

Whole article can be found at http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=26

Caliber Testing medium Penetration Condition of bullet
    .223 Rem. gelatin only 9.5" two pieces
    .223 Rem. wall & gelatin 5.5" * fragmented
    .40S&W gelatin only 13.5" mushroomed
    .40S&W wall & gelatin 22" * no deformation
    .40S&W wall & gelatin 22" * no deformation
    .40S&W wall & gelatin 19.5" * slight deformation
    12 ga. wall & gelatin 27.5" mushroomed

Summary
    The 55 grain HP .223 has less penetration than any of the other ammunition tested. Based on the results of this testing, there appears to be no basis for concern regarding the over penetration of the .223 [HP] round. In fact, it seems even safer in this regard than .40 S&W handgun ammunition.

The hollow point cavity in the .40S&W round filled with material when shot through the wall. This caused [these bullets] to fail to expand when they entered the gelatin. As a result, they penetrated 8.5" farther than when shot directly into the gelatin.

When the .223 [HP] was shot through he wall it began to fragment and as a result penetrated the gelatin only 5.5".

Because the .223 [HP] begins to break up on impact, it has less potential for damage or injury than the 12 ga. in the event of a ricochet. The .223 [HP] is obviously safer in an urban environment than the 12 ga. with slugs or buckshot.

I should have mentioned also that it is worth it to consider that frangible ammunition is readily available in most of the common military and tactical type calibers. In hunting rounds, maybe not so much.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    That's good stuff on the penetration tests.

I do so like the idea of using the AR as a HD gun. I mean, using a revolver from under the bed is OK.....but having the M4 with a 30 round magazine and screaming "get some" will certainly make a lasting impression on any bad guys. :lol2:

When it all comes down to it for your basic bad guy breaking in in the middle of the night, I still favor a nice 12g pump.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    It would be hard to move around my house with a long gun and keep the muzzle pointed where it should be. Others might find it easier. UNLOAD, and double check your gun, then try moving around your house with it. Then do it in the dark. If you feel comfortable and confident with it, then go for it.

Of course, should you ever actually use it to defend yourself, the media will try and convict you long before your trial for using an "assault weapon" to kill poor Tyrone D'ante Jackson at 3:30am, who was just wanting to borrow your phone so he could tell his momma that he'll be a little late coming home since the special 2am prayer meeting ran a little long......

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    If you are going to use a long gun for home defense it should DEFINITELY be a shotgun. They make several that are specifically designed for defense purposes and they are relatively cheap. Here's is Mossberg's home defense version of it's 500 series.

50455.jpg

lionfour

Aug 5, 2007
    Brooklyn, Maryland
    That's good stuff on the penetration tests.

I do so like the idea of using the AR as a HD gun. I mean, using a revolver from under the bed is OK.....but having the M4 with a 30 round magazine and screaming "get some" will certainly make a lasting impression on any bad guys. :lol2:

When it all comes down to it for your basic bad guy breaking in in the middle of the night, I still favor a nice 12g pump.

GOOD STUFF! :)

You can get a Pardner Pump "Protector" 12 ga 18.5 inch barrel shotgun at
    Dicks for $180.00 which I'll be using if I hear something go "bump" in the night.
    I am still debating using #8 shot or 00 buckshot. I named it "Snape" because
    its all black and my daughter (16) is a big time Harry Potter fan.
    It is a little too intimidating for her to be comfortable with, so I am buying her a Walther P22 to learn on, and after
    she gets comfortable with that I may get her a Lady Smith, or a Glock 19 next year. I want to make damn sure
    that anyone coming into my house expecting to find a defenseless teenage girl is going to be in for a big surprise.

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    For long guns, IMO either shotgun or rifle will have about equal utility and I would suggest going with whatever is most comfortable and fastest to handle under duress.

I kept an 18" M-870 handy with a Pachmayr Vindicator grip on it for a long time, but, at best, the PG shotgun is awkward to one-hand around the house. I have found a carbine to handle much more smoothly indoors and one-handed, which is so often the case. As suggested above, try some practice runs on site.

FWIW, the shotgun pattern is only an inch or two across at typical HD ranges, and thus, IMHO, not any different than a rifle for hittability and less precise if precision is needed.

If I had to go with a shotgun, I'd want #1B at minimum (no slugs), but really prefer a carbine with optics for my own cat & rat gun.

I like the rigid & quiet A1 stock and keep a 20 rounder in it and sling-less for compact and snag-free portability:
    AR15-FA-UL-01.jpg

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I have an SLR-106FR (AK-101) with 20 rounds of .223, stock folded; Mav. 88 w/ 18.5" barrel and heat shield; and Steyr M40-A1 with 12 .40 S&W Quik-Shok JHPs equipped w/ a Streamlight TLR-2 :P

Get some... ;)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    It would be hard to move around my house with a long gun and keep the muzzle pointed where it should be. Others might find it easier. UNLOAD, and double check your gun, then try moving around your house with it. Then do it in the dark. If you feel comfortable and confident with it, then go for it.

Of course, should you ever actually use it to defend yourself, the media will try and convict you long before your trial for using an "assault weapon" to kill poor Tyrone D'ante Jackson at 3:30am, who was just wanting to borrow your phone so he could tell his momma that he'll be a little late coming home since the special 2am prayer meeting ran a little long......

The good news is there is the occasional exception to this: http://www.wftv.com/news/13542354/detail.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom