• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    So, I've decided that with my finances in the right place and with me being completely ready to go for it, I want to get an AR-15 upper set up in an A2 configuration. Now, I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what I am doing. I will read the build information thread, but I would like some input of what to look for to buy, what tools I will need, and tips to tune the set-up for optimal performance.

As for price range, I'm not looking for the most amazing zero-effort tac driver at premium auction house pricing. I'm looking for something that has the look, can be tuned to perform, and is reliable as long as it is properly maintained. A surplus upper is acceptable. I also want at least a 20" barrel with a 1-7" twist rate, HBAR (because laws).

So, what can the brain trust here at MDS recommend to me so I can embark upon my quarantine project?

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    So, I've decided that with my finances in the right place and with me being completely ready to go for it, I want to get an AR-15 upper set up in an A2 configuration. Now, I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what I am doing. I will read the build information thread, but I would like some input of what to look for to buy, what tools I will need, and tips to tune the set-up for optimal performance.

As for price range, I'm not looking for the most amazing zero-effort tac driver at premium auction house pricing. I'm looking for something that has the look, can be tuned to perform, and is reliable as long as it is properly maintained. A surplus upper is acceptable. I also want at least a 20" barrel with a 1-7" twist rate, HBAR (because laws).

So, what can the brain trust here at MDS recommend to me so I can embark upon my quarantine project?

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but I'd recommend you do it a month ago. There's a run on AR's right now. Shotguns too.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

I have an A2 upper and FSB from my white oak precision upper available since I converted it to an optics upper (53 yo eyes). Reta sight is pinned and IIRC 1/4 MOA clicks. It’s been sitting on the rifle for 8 years, never fired by me and has been on my bench waiting for me to list it for sale since January.

Bought the upper with intent to shoot SR matches and got busy with supporting my youngests shooting career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    If you buy a prebuilt upper, you'll want a wrench for the stock. If building the upper you need a vise, vise block, and armorors wrench. I've made do with the tools I've had for small parts, but you can go all out with a list like this: https://www.ammoland.com/2017/12/tools-rifle-parts-build-ar-15-rifle/#axzz6HDfCTPwR

What's your budget? A lot of parts are up in price/out of stock right now... But I put an Aero Precision build together recently with a Faxon barrel and I really like it. Your barrel and upper are most important for accuracy and the upper as a whole combined with the trigger are key to reliability.

What's your thought process behind an A2 vs a flattop? Optics are considerably better than irons in my opinion, but there are also tons of aftermarket irons out there as well. My other question would be are you sure about the 20"? Marines may have door knocked through most of the recent wars with them, but it's not ideal for home defense, especially because it needs to be HBAR here. On the other hand, if you're actually using the velocity at distance, go for it.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Personally I would look for a used A2 upper on ar15.com. A2s are so much less popular today compared with say 10-15 years ago. A 20" barrel A2 upper is very old school in style. My guess is that there are a lot of folks who own A2 uppers that would sell them cheap to get an A4 upper. BTW - why do you think you need a 1/7 twist?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a 16” A2 upper listed in the classifieds right now..... cheap. Sell the barrel that is on it and buy your 20” barrel.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Personally I would look for a used A2 upper on ar15.com. A2s are so much less popular today compared with say 10-15 years ago. A 20" barrel A2 upper is very old school in style. My guess is that there are a lot of folks who own A2 uppers that would sell them cheap to get an A4 upper. BTW - why do you think you need a 1/7 twist?

Gotcha. I'm just preferential to the 1/7 twist mainly. It's what I have on my RBD and I have read quite a bit of commentary lauding it's performance for accuracy.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    8b9527530e110d10af0bb83dea529c58.jpg

Also have two additional rear sight hoods. Upper only fired by white oak as final function test

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom