• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I just bought a 12 Ga. Mossberg 500 from Wal-Mart. They took the barrel off and put it in a box before I could take it out of the store.

When I got home I put the barrel back on but the magazine won't load and shells. I've taken the barrel off and put it back on several times but the shells still won't go in. They go about halfway then stop.

Ideas?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    There is a wood plug in the magazine tube that you have to remove. Read the manual.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    The plug will allow 3 rounds if it's a 5 shell tube. Remove the barrel and point the gun down and shake the plug will come out a little. You can pull it out from there.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The plug will allow 3 rounds if it's a 5 shell tube. Remove the barrel and point the gun down and shake the plug will come out a little. You can pull it out from there.

I took the barrel off and something came out along with a spring. Is that the plug you're talking about? It was only a couple of inches long.

BigBull

Dec 23, 2014
    St. Mary's County
    I bought the mossberg 500 bantam for my young son and it came with a full plug making the gun a single shot. You will need to cut the plug to the appropriate length for hunting.

Major Major

Feb 19, 2013
    Frederick Co
    Have a great time breaking in your shotgun! The parts will take some time to slick up so do indulge in the guilty pleasure of just stroking your action over and over without shells ;) I use a bit of lithium grease with a shaving brush on the pump action arms and trigger group instead of oil. As long as I clean it up after the range it does not crud up too badly.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I took the dowel with the rubber rings out and it loaded 5 shells OK.

I got to a range and was only able to load 2 shells. I need to look at it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom