CanI use a progressive reloader if I've all ready preprimed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    Guys I ask this question because right now I'm doing everything single stage. If I happen to build up a large number of primed cases can I finish the last steps on a progressive system?

Thanks

zaphod07

Oct 16, 2011
    Around NAS PAX
    You Sure could on a Hornady progressive just remove the depriming pin from the sizer die and do not put any primers in primer tube.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's best to clean and size before priming, although for handgun ammo you can take the pin out of the sizing die, and it will size if you want. For rifle ammo, take out the die, as the pin also correctly sizes the neck, they will be undersized without it. I do something similar with rifle ammo heading to the progressive, clean, lube, size, trim on a single stage and at the bench, then prime before tumbling for 30 min to get the lube off, keeps media out of the primer pocket. Then running through the progressive just charges, seats and crimps.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sure, just remove the decapping pin. For rifle, make sure that the expanding button is still in place.

ShootR

Oct 7, 2009
    I have loaded pre-primed pistol brass on a Dillon without any issues. I do as others said to remove depriming pin and leave the primer tube empty.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Super easy on a Loadmaster, just insert each primed case under the powder measure and go at it. If using a case feeder, remove sizing die or retract the button. ... and disconnect the primer advancing lever.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Like what has been said just remove the decapping pin. I removed the auto priming mechanism from my Dillon SDB and use a RCBS hand primer. I don't want or need any unexpected surprises.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just to clarify, were these brass sized when deprimed, or did you use a universal depriming die ?

89GLH

Jan 26, 2012
    Thats what I plan to do, I have 970+ cases tumbled and primed, just waiting for powder drop and bullets. I already pulled the depriming die, I'll just have 3/5 positions used instead of 4/5. RCBS Rock Chucker with a Piggyback II turret.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom