• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    I had an AR-15 upper in 5.45x39 or an AK-74 on my "to buy" list before this panic hit due to my thoughts on it being a cheap alternative to shooting 5.56x45. Obviously I can't get either right now, but once markets calm down I still want to get one (not that I think I'll be seeing any AK-74 semi-autos for under $500 any time soon, but I'm patient). I'm thinking it would be prudent to get some ammo now (20 cents a round, give or take a few), as while I expect prices to stay stable (the Russians are still using the cartridge so I don't expect production to decline any time soon) I've learned that "buy it cheap and stack it deep" are truly words to live by. Any thoughts?

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    I've thought about it... but I'm really trying to hit that $0.20/round price point while staying with an intermediate cartridge. 5.45x39 seemed the only one that fit the bill. I love shooting 22LR, but it's a completely different animal than the centerfire ones, especially as I'm trying to start doing 300 yard shooting, which is impractical with a 22LR.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I've been really interested in doing a 545x39 build. I have two builds left that in doing and was going to go with a 7.62 but I heard the 5.45 is a little better since you can use the stock AR mags and it's cheaper. Is there any downside to shooting this stuff through an AR? Is it okay to shoot steal case milsurp?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    If you stock up on ammo, 5.45 is a pretty cheap caliber right now to shoot. In the future, that surplus will dry up heavily just like 7.62x25, 8MM mauser, 7.62x39, etc and all prices will rise.

I'm hoping sometime in the future a company will create a Blow-back Operated 22TCM...

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    If you stock up on ammo, 5.45 is a pretty cheap caliber right now to shoot. In the future, that surplus will dry up heavily just like 7.62x25, 8MM mauser, 7.62x39, etc and all prices will rise.

I'm hoping sometime in the future a company will create a Blow-back Operated 22TCM...

By the way, in case it hasn't been said before (though I'm sure it has), thank you for your service to our country and thank you for not engaging in the price gouging that is running rampant through the industry. If y'all ever get something in stock I'm looking for, I'll be first in line to grab it.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    5.45 is my new favorite round. I'm sitting on about 10,000 rounds and have more in the hands of Big Brown right now. Between my 5.45 AR and AK-74 it is an inexpensive joy to shoot. It's a nice problem to see .20¢ a round and think "dang, that's getting expensive".

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    5.45 surplus won't last, but 5.45 Silver Bear is about the same as any commercial 7.62x39. AK-74's used to be relatively unknown, parts kits, mags and ammo was dirt cheap for a long time. Now they are expensive to get into but if your thinking about it do it now, wont get any cheaper.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    A great round to shoot Very accurate My 74 is a tack Driver Stock piling this is the answer So what if surplus Dries up If your sitting on 10,000 rds I say your GTG The Afgans call this the poison bullet.With the AK Platform you can't go wrong FYI 5.56 mags have to be modified to use 5.45X39 rds

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    5.45 is the standard infantry round for the Russians, I don't think it will go away. There are several sites with 74's in stock, you just have to look.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    5.45 is the standard infantry round for the Russians, I don't think it will go away. There are several sites with 74's in stock, you just have to look.
    Yep. The ARAK -74 got a pretty good review at AKFiles, and that's not crazily priced ($900). Also doubt 5.45x39 is going away any time soon; worst case scenario is that it's priced like commercial 5.56x45.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Get it while it lasts. I remember buying it for ~.11 per round not long ago. There's nowhere to go but up.

7N6 will always be a bit cheaper because of being "corrosive" but it'll eventually reach surplus Yugo prices once demand catches up to supply.

Chevy9900

Mar 19, 2013
    It would be nice if we were once again able to purchase norinco chinese made ammunition. Now I could be living in a dream but I remember the days of 10 cent norinco 7.62X39 ammo. I'm not sure If it could ever happen again but I would definately like it to.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Unfortunately you are in a buy both scenario

I have a Romak II in 5.45 and a S&W Upper I bought when CDNN liquidated them for $499 with a mag .

But the ammo is hard to get, sporadic, while cheap when the "boat comes in" sometimes it is good to be a risk manager and shoot something more broadly available like 5.56 or 7.62x39.

Or as noted in line 1 buy one of each so you have flexibility.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    5.45 is my new favorite round. I'm sitting on about 10,000 rounds and have more in the hands of Big Brown right now. Between my 5.45 AR and AK-74 it is an inexpensive joy to shoot. It's a nice problem to see .20¢ a round and think "dang, that's getting expensive".

DD214
    Did you order a complete upper or did you build it . What manufacture parts did you use. And where are you getting your ammo from . I am thinking or building an AR in that cal as well.

Sorry to high jack thread .... Proceed

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Well I ordered it with a twist... It's getting shipped to my buddies farm. When he gets back from his tour as a combat infantryman in Afghanistan, we'll be spending a few days sending it down range. Now to find something that shoots it! Any tips on AK74 or 5.45 uppers appreciated! I have until August.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    DD214
    Did you order a complete upper or did you build it . What manufacture parts did you use. And where are you getting your ammo from . I am thinking or building an AR in that cal as well.

Sorry to high jack thread .... Proceed

I ordered a complete upper. It's an LWRC M6AK and I really like it. As for the lower, I had an extra RRA receiver in the safe so I built that up with an RRA parts kit, with the exception being the extra strong hammer spring which is provided with the LWRC upper.

As for ammo, it pops up sporadically. AIM Surplus had it a couple of days ago. Here is some available for 20¢ a round: http://www.ammoman.com/545x39-russian-fmj-53-grain

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom