• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I just use Burrbenders. He has a trailer and sets up at various places like Homestead Gardens.

Theres also a guy that sets up at the Baltimore Farmers market on Sunday.

Time for me to send my kitchen knives up there to Burrbenders. Those guys are great!!

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Time for me to send my kitchen knives up there to Burrbenders. Those guys are great!!

I need him to do a touch up on our Global kitchen knives and then a complete repair on my Fiskar hatchet that i mutilated

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    There is a guy that goes to farmers market in Tacoma park and others that sharpens anything while you wait. I'll look up his Facebook page and post it. He is out of Damascus

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I just use a chefs steel and it keeps a nice working edge on my knives. If you can slice a soft tomato paper thin it's sharp enough

Steeling and stropping work well to straighten a damaged edge, thin and shape the burr after sharpening, but they don't sharpen alone. The tougher the steel, the less likely the edge is to chip, and the more times it will come back with a steel or strop. You eventually have to sharpen to remove damage and reform the edge, but most people sharpen way too much and steel/strop way too little, being they don't take metal off like sharpening does, an expensive knife will last a lot longer.

Thats a big jump going from 3k to 50-60k (.5 micron = 50-60k). Does it take a long time to strop it?

Depending on method and steel. That particular ZT561 is in Elmax, wonderful steel, incredibly tough, takes a mirror edge, strops back repeatedly, and sharpens easily. I can jump straight to .5 micron CrOx paste after my finest 3k waterstone. Balsa hits the angle flat, and is faster than leather. I switch to the same paste on softer leather to finish it, then buff it with clean leather. the softer the backing for compound/paste the finer it acts, and the longer it takes. Really fine .5 micron Crox compund will polish as fast on glass or aluminum than 3 micron paste on leather, so instead of keeping a lot of pastes, when polishing by hand I just use the same compound on different backings. Now most of the time I cheat, use green honing compound (.5micron Crox) on leather with my belt sander, the equivalent of an hour of stropping by hand is done in a minute or two. My favorite edge is 400-600 grit Sic for good bite, then shape the burr and smooth the edge on the leather sander belt with compound. I can hand sharpen and machine strop a big S30V blade in 10-15 minutes with this method, compared to an hour to do a mirror polished edge by hand.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Steeling and stropping work well to straighten a damaged edge, thin and shape the burr after sharpening, but they don't sharpen alone. The tougher the steel, the less likely the edge is to chip, and the more times it will come back with a steel or strop. You eventually have to sharpen to remove damage and reform the edge, but most people sharpen way too much and steel/strop way too little, being they don't take metal off like sharpening does, an expensive knife will last a lot longer.

My 'everyday' knives(Wustofs) mainly get steeled as needed. The ones most used will get sharpened maybe once a year. Some, I have never had to sharpen(the ones my wife is forbidden to touch). The problem with steeling is, most people don't know how to do it properly. :sad20:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    A good friend of mine is something of a knife expert, he knows more than anyone else I know.

Today at one of our gun club lunch events, he shows me this Falkniven Knives DC4 sharpener, and says it can just about do it all.

I just purchased one, its about $20 :

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fallkniven-diamond-ceramic-whetstone?referer=3ZXZ6R

MD-25559_20160812153023_c4645b1db0d0c130.jpg

Specs

Fallkniven
    Diamond stone (25 micron)
    Ceramic stone is made from synthetic sapphires
    Does not require lubrication
    Wash with warm water
    Dimensions: 4 x 1.2 x 0.3 in (10.2 x 3 x 0.8 cm)
    Weight: 2.3 oz (65 g)
    Included

Leather pouch included.

ponypeddler87

Feb 17, 2013
    St. Marys

Actually the tougher the steel the more prone to chipping or micro chipping it is. My S110V steel is extremely tough but it micro chips. S30V is a good middle of the road steel. Elmax, ZDP189, N680, N690 are also some other good steels that are tough but not to tough for micro chipping.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    you lose cutting ability when there is a dent/divot in the blade edge. If you don't inspect for that, you may be sharping the blade but still have a dent in the edge. I run my fingernail lightly along the blade to look for that. I may have to go and use a coarse file w/ my lansky system to work that out if its a bad one. Only razor sharp edge I really care about is for my deer field dressing. For my daily use knife, I don't have as sharp of an angle so the edge does not dent as easily.

Minuteman, this link takes me to a page where I have to sign in from facebook, do you have another link that takes us directly to the product?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Actually the tougher the steel the more prone to chipping or micro chipping it is. My S110V steel is extremely tough but it micro chips. S30V is a good middle of the road steel. Elmax, ZDP189, N680, N690 are also some other good steels that are tough but not to tough for micro chipping.

Toughness, as defined "the maximum ammount of energy that a material can absorb without fracturing, not hardness/strength/wear resistance . S110V is extremely wear resistant due to the carbides, and can be stable at high hardness, but isn't that tough, S30V is much tougher. My knives in S35VN, H1 and Elmax just don't chip, and I can bring them back a ton of times with a steel or strop. They are nowhere near as wear resistant as my S110V or ZDP189 blades, and on paper those should hold an edge for far longer, but the micro cracks and chips from cutting tough materials basically breaks small pieces off of the edge instead of bending it, or abrasion dulling it, so in use they hold an edge forever if you baby them, but if you don't they need to be sharpened often, where tougher steels that better resist edge damage can just be straightened mechanically, without removing metal with abrasives. Don't have a 3V blade, but would love to try one out, I'm tough on my EDCs, and generally favor toughness over hardness/wear resistance, so I think I would be a fan.

1c7bd5459c2964f22b346b7318cd808a.jpg

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    you lose cutting ability when there is a dent/divot in the blade edge. If you don't inspect for that, you may be sharping the blade but still have a dent in the edge. I run my fingernail lightly along the blade to look for that. I may have to go and use a coarse file w/ my lansky system to work that out if its a bad one. Only razor sharp edge I really care about is for my deer field dressing. For my daily use knife, I don't have as sharp of an angle so the edge does not dent as easily.

Minuteman, this link takes me to a page where I have to sign in from facebook, do you have another link that takes us directly to the product?

Google is your friend:

https://www.amazon.com/Fallkniven-Diamond-Ceramic-Whetstone-Sharpening/dp/B003BUV226

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    For the last year and a half after starting this thread, I've just made do with sharpening my knives on a stone, getting mediocre results. My mom just surprised me with a special edition Work Sharp she got from Cabelas! This thing is amazing! It got my old Buck 112 literally shaving sharp! It only to a few swipes. I can't wait to get to work on all my other neglected knives. My wife just handed me a hand full of kitchen knives too. I know what I'll be doing all day.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This has been a good read. For years I attempted to use a stone and just could not get it. Then I use to use a friends crock sticks with good success, the Spyderco is what I think he had ( he has since died :-( hahaha, but when I went to buy one, I forgot about it and bought the Lansky system. It worked great on my first few knives, but if the edge is curved, well, forget it for me. I could NOT get it to work on curved blades. Then the plastic holder where the long metal rod fits into, well, most cracked on me. I know, I should have just glued them, but, I was afraid to use that on my good Henkel kitchen knives. So, this time, I bought a Japanese wet stone so, a dual edge 200/1000 I think, and it worked for the Henkel, but man, that damn German steel took hours and hours to get it razor sharp..whew....had to start and stop a few times. Now, the damn stone needs to be flattened, and don't feel or have, the $25 at the moment, to buy a flattener!! And the reviews I read on the cheaper, $20-25 flatteners isn't very good. So, when I get the funds, I am going to get the Ken Onion Edition sharpener and just be done with it, Maybe later, a higher quality Japanese water stone. But the K.O should take care of everything. Working with a stone can be fun, but you have to hold that edge perfectly at a certain angle, and be CONSISTANT throughout...otherwise, just a effort in futility,.......for me!! :-)

FYI, you don't need to buy a stone flattener, just put a sheet of wet/dry sandpaper on a scrap of granite or thick plate glass and rub the stone in it. Piece of cake. That's how I flatten all of my Japanese water stones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom