• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tenishasc

Oct 23, 2015
    Does anyone know where to find durable but not too expensive climbing carabiners?
    On the way home, you can spend a fortune in climbing specialty shops or get hard steel in hardware stores at a very economical price that works just as well.
    All I've seen here Abc-Of-RockClimbing are Petzl Attache 3D carbines that I wouldn't trust in my life.

Last edited:

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I haven't climbed in 25 years, so REI is the only store I used to go to that's still around. They might still have decent gear, worth a look...

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Just bought a couple from Amazon Black Diamond Neutrinos for about $7each wire gated climbing carabiners delivered in 2 days. The screw gate ones are about $11---Black Diamond are quality carabiners

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Black diamond tends to be the most popular good/inexpensive brand. Much depends on what you need it for, and what climbing you intend to do, I mostly lead and top-rope at a few indoor gyms, only have bouldered outdoors. I'll use cheap wiregate biners for harness gear and chalk bags, Hydrid quickdraws for lead/route, and a twistloc for belay with an ATC(required at one gym I frequent), or the included biner with my click-up where it's allowed. NEVER use a non-locking biner on belay or rappel. I get most of my gear from REI or a couple climbing gyms I go to, really like to handle something I intend to trust my life to before buying it, sometimes you will find something uncomfortable or awkward with no way to tell by it's picture. As far as saving a couple bucks on gear that was not built for climbing, hells no.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    I haven't climbed in 25 years, so REI is the only store I used to go to that's still around. They might still have decent gear, worth a look...

Ditto. Taught climbing and repelling to the West Point Cadets over a summer, hitting the Shawangunks over the weekends. Besides the mil carabiners, we bought all our personal gear at REI. I tend to agree with what others have stated on here, something that important , quality over price.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    REI has the goods, but they've also become a full-on lefty nonsense operation. Actively hostile to brands/products that are even very indirectly connected to makers/distributors who sell to hunting and shooting sports. Company culture has gone full-on collectivist sensibilities. Honestly, leaves a bad taste. Can no longer bring myself to reward their overt hostility towards me with any more of my hard earned. Every conceivable piece of climbing and safety gear is available online to arrive at your doorstep within a day or two. Far more choices than any given brick and mortar retailer is going to have in stock.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I would not trust my life with those. They do not lock!

much depends on what it is used for, overkill for hanging a chalk bag, great for quickdraws, no bueno for hooking into a belay device. Would be really difficult to clip a lead into locking biners as you climb, but as much as an auto belay biner gets bumped around as you climb it's dangerous if it's anything less than a strong auto-lock. I like the BD hybrid quickdraws for lead climbing, the bent wire gate is smooth and quick to clip a rope in, the solid gate side is tough and doesn't get hung up on bolts as easy as a wiregate. At the gym we'll do a climb to place QDs on the wall, then climb that a few times leaving them in place, then clean them on the last run by top-roping on the route.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I climb trees and cut them down. For heavy but life-worthy carabiners, I have some of these and like them: https://www.sherrilltree.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=ISC+STEEL+HARD-D+CARABINER+SINGLE-LOCKING They open with a turn, lift, and push aka 3-stage latching mechanism. They snap closed automatically. Although I use them for rigging and lowering wood that weighs 4x as much as I do, I've really come to appreciate their strength, durability, and locking mechanism. I do not use these or any other rigging gear for my life safety gear however; those tools remain completely separate at all times.

I have an assortment of aluminum ones as well for keeping my person attached to the tree, all with three-stage locking devices. I bought those before signing up for an account at SherrillTree, and cannot view that history. I have found that I do not like carabiners which require a push of a little detent button as an unlocking stage (Petzl ball lock).

Check out carabiners at SherrillTree: https://www.sherrilltree.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=36&mode=grid&q=carabiner

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I have a rack enough for full rope length aid pitches so haven't bought gear in a while. Consequently my recommendations might be dated. When I was buying gear regularly I would find good deals on websites like gearexpress.com and steepandcheap.com. I did prefer to buy from local places like Rock and Snow in New Paltz, NY and The Gendarme at Seneca Rocks, WV over online vendors and big franchises when I could. I can't think of a local place in the MD area like those places though.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    The trail house in Frederick has a decent supply of climbing gear. They are located on south market street a couple blocks north of Carroll creek.

Haven’t bought climbing gear since college, so don’t recall brands carried or prices. Plenty to do here in town if you decide to make the trip.

Great people and super nice to do business with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    Does anyone know where to find durable but not too expensive climbing carabiners?
    On the way home, you can spend a fortune in climbing specialty shops or get hard steel in hardware stores at a very economical price that works just as well.
    All I've seen here Abc-Of-RockClimbing are Petzl Attache 3D carbines that I wouldn't trust in my life.

What is the intended use: saddle hunting, lineman's belt, haul line, rock climbing?

The intended use makes a big difference.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hate steel 'biners'. Pretty much hated locking biners except where absolutely necessary. My go-tos were Omegalite 3 bent gates. 25KN closed, 8.5 Kn open.
    If you're nervous about biners, don't leave them out in the weather(like hung over you ladder stand all year long). The springs inside them are steel and will lose functionality. Before there were locking biners, people used two biners, side by side, with the gates reversed. Works great. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom