• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I just want to chime in and say a big thanks to those who proposed, planned, fund, built, and manage the new facilities and programs like this. I hope to take advantage of them soon.

Very nice to hear. There were quite a few people involved in all of that.

Now that the bays are near completion, it is our plan to turn the AGC into Maryland's Premier Action Shooting destination/facility within the next 5 years. It is very feasible as long as everyone can get along and row in the same direction. We believe that this is probable, especially when recognizing that there has been such a tremendous amount of progress made in recent years. Lets just hope that we don't end up losing our scary black rifles and/or ammunition to the libtards before we get there.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I think this is going to be wildly successful. Delta Peach Bottom is a small fish and game club and their Steel Challenge shoots every month routinely max out at 60 guns.

They also have a PCC division and quite a few people will sign up twice so they can shoot with their pistol and again with their carbine.

They are a lot of fun :party29: In fact, the next one (for which my wife, father, and I have already signed up) is Sunday, September 22 :banghead:

We have participated in a few of the early AGC multigun matches...one of these days we'll make it back :o

As to naysaying in this thread...reality check: It's MDS, about AGC. How could there not be some sort of negativity :rolleye12

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Need a mobile ammo store there?

Interesting concept, but my guess is probably not worth your time. Not too many guys show up to a match without the ammo they need (with the exception of slugs). On top of that, I am going to go out on a limb and say that the bylaws likely frown upon outside vendors coming onto the property and profiting without the AGC getting their cut.

hiattda

Aug 30, 2018
    That is an interesting point of view and I am not quite sure that I understand. Preference is being given in that Badge Holders pay half price. Is that not enough? Is there something keeping Range Holders from registering right now?

The match is posted on Practiscore now and there is plenty of room. The goal is to fill it up and create a wait list for those inevitable no shows. To be honest, I would be shocked if we run out of space, but if we do, then we may see what we can do to add a fourth stage/squad.

He means give preference to the individuals that pay 230 plus dollars a year for a range badge and club dues.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Need a mobile ammo store there?

Interesting concept, but my guess is probably not worth your time. Not too many guys show up to a match without the ammo they need (with the exception of slugs). On top of that, I am going to go out on a limb and say that the bylaws likely frown upon outside vendors coming onto the property and profiting without the AGC getting their cut.

I wonder if it'd be OK for a vendor to come out, set up a table and maybe give out bottled water for the participants??

Build up some good will and get their name out there?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    My 0.02 is that we should not set the precedent that vendors get free space, even if its for water. Later we might want to change the policy and charge a nominal fee for renting space and sponsoring the match, which will create some complaints "if it used to be free". Plus, we would probably want the trustees to set the booth fee and policy, even if its zero. I think that we should/could have vendor booths to defray costs, but lets think it through. again, my 0.02.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    My 0.02 is that we should not set the precedent that vendors get free space, even if its for water. Later we might want to change the policy and charge a nominal fee for renting space and sponsoring the match, which will create some complaints "if it used to be free". Plus, we would probably want the trustees to set the booth fee and policy, even if its zero. I think that we should/could have vendor booths to defray costs, but lets think it through. again, my 0.02.

Spoken like someone who is familiar with how the AGC operates :rolleyes:

I love me some Ammo Jon, and at first it seemed like an awesome idea to have him there:party29: But...danb is right: AGC...grumble grumble...rules...somebody's gonna be butthurt...:bigwhoop: That is the world we live in :o

They do need some sort of vendor policy, and not only for Ammo Jon. As these sort of events grow (which they undoubtedly will), I would think having a food vendor (maybe for the guns too) onsite would be a win-win for everybody.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    A few vendors and a food truck would enhance the event. With action shooting in it's infancy anything that would promote growth, like vendors would be a benefit in the long run. Talking to the guys involved they are very growth oriented.

I wouldn't worry about charging vendors until there were enough participants for them to make some money.

Just my opinion.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    A few vendors and a food truck would enhance the event. With action shooting in it's infancy anything that would promote growth, like vendors would be a benefit in the long run. Talking to the guys involved they are very growth oriented.

I wouldn't worry about charging vendors until there were enough participants for them to make some money.

Just my opinion.

If anyone vendors were truly interested in setting up shop, they would need to be approved/vetted by the Exec VP. If someone wants to do that, then send me a PM and I will put you in touch with him. We really could use a food truck selling breakfast and lunch foods. I think I could get that done relatively easily. If Ammo Jon wants to hand out water and try to sell some ammo, I am sure I could make that happen too.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    To those thinking action shooting is not likely to be lucrative for the club, I suggest you take a look at other local clubs that have been successfully hosting matches for the past few years. AAFG is a prime example. They bring in a buttload of $.
    I hope the folks at AGC running the new action shooting sports have asked for advice from clubs like AAFG on how to run a successful and profitable program.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    To those thinking action shooting is not likely to be lucrative for the club, I suggest you take a look at other local clubs that have been successfully hosting matches for the past few years. AAFG is a prime example. They bring in a buttload of $.
    I hope the folks at AGC running the new action shooting sports have asked for advice from clubs like AAFG on how to run a successful and profitable program.

These programs will be profitable eventually. That said, we are in the infancy stages of building these programs and there will be hick ups along the way.

There are thousands of dollars in start up costs that need to be recovered and we are trying to keep entry fees low in the beginning in an effort to attract new shooters and make up for the fact that we are not equipped to run a full 5 stage 3 gun event or 8 Course of Fire IDPA match. In addition, our main objective is to drive incremental range badge sales by attracting non badge holders to our facility. As such and in an effort to do this, badge holders will always be given a discount on their entry fees. This will be hard to measure, and the program probably won't get the credit for it that it deserves, but at the end of the day it does not matter as long as the AGC benefits.

So, no need to worry about these programs being good for the AGC. IMHO and that of many others, the Action Shooting program will be the best thing that has happened to the AGC in decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom