• Yes, end NFA

Votes: 148 92.5%
    • No, keep NFA

Votes: 12 7.5%

• Total voters

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Yes, I want more suppressors without having to pay a stamp!

You know - its not necessarily the stamp that annoys me, its the year wait. And for things like SBRs and MGs, its the stupid paperwork you need to submit to cross state lines for each destination address.

Like minimally, couldn’t we go through wait once and then when you have one, there is no wait.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County

Attachments

• E2132F80-CE1F-428A-9200-67D3F1298EFF.jpeg
      E2132F80-CE1F-428A-9200-67D3F1298EFF.jpeg
      35.2 KB · Views: 261

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    You have to market it. Repealing 922(o) is "The Machine Gun Market Destruction Act." Which is precisely what it would do...blow the floor out from under the MG market, except for C&R items. Maybe tack on a $2,000 Manufacturing Excise Tax.

What I think is more do-able is to get the NFA transfer times to a reasonable level. 11 months is not reasonable. 11 weeks would stretch the limits. 11 days...that's reasonable. And do-able.

NFA transfer times are a ticking legal time bomb. A good 5th Amendment Takings Clause case can be made that the Federal Government is willfully slow-rolling the transfer process, thus tying up large amounts of purchasers' capital.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Hughes Ammendment was part of FOPA, not NFA .

Frankly my first thought at the thread title was " Ending NFA " as in eliminating the ability to own NFA items .

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Probably not a popular opinion, but I'd absolutely accept leaving the NFA alone as long as the Hughes Amendment got repealed. I agree that it's unconstitutional and should not exist.
    That said, for the moment NFA items are largely ignored by the gun control lobby since the subject is technical in nature, and there isn't much point to bloody flag waving when the opposition can easily point out that these items are incredibly restricted. Might cause too many people to rub some brain cells together and have independent thoughts on the nature restriction/prohibition and the effects it has on crime.

But that's never going to happen either. If it did happen, probably all NFA items would end up on the chopping block in many states, and the media freak out would certainly inspire some dingbat to do something stupid with a belt fed.

That said, my starting position on compromise is that all gun control is unconstitutional. If both houses of Congress and POTUS were willing, repeal the NFA. Or get it tossed out by SCOTUS.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    IF that somehow happened at the Federal level, and considering that we CAN NOT even buy an M1A Semi-Auto in Merry-Land, the MD Legislature would step in immediately and make NFA type weapons illegal for Merry-Land residents to buy, sell or transfer to other State Citizens... So things could become much worse... We get the Government that we have elected...66% of Merry-Landers voted AGAINST Trump & FOR Hilliary...

Why? It’s not like MD can’t do it now or could’ve years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Hell, I'll pay the tax...it's the 11 months wait for a background check I've passed several times already that bothers me.

You don't mind paying $15k for a gun that has one part different than a $1k gun? I do on principle, and in reality, I don't have the cash.

The Hughes Ammendment was part of FOPA, not NFA .

Frankly my first thought at the thread title was " Ending NFA " as in eliminating the ability to own NFA items .
    Yeah, I was broadly covering 2A restrictions under the name "NFA", since that's what this sub forum is titled. I clarified my thinking in an earlier post.

In a sense, I am advocating for no more NFA items, since there'd be no more NFA (or GCA69, Hughes Am) :)

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    This is something that I think about from time to time. With all the talk of "compromise" in the politics of gun control, my thought of ACTUAL compromise would be to allow background checks on all gun purchases (UBC's), BUT take away NFA, GCA '68, and restrictions in FOPA '86. That would be true compromise, and I'd be OK with it. Maybe that's a question for another poll though :innocent0

There is no compromise as gun control's object is the continued infringement of 2A until its gone. Sure there are many of us that would prefer less unconstitutional things be done... however comprise to these people means continued compromise until we having nothing left. We start with freedom on one side and total control on the other. Every compromise brings us closer to total control.

I have a compromise... anyone not allowed to buy a MG should be in jail or executed. Very simple compromise requiring zero gun laws. Anyone free, is free to buy a gun. People who did something minor wrong are in jail. Bad people who have been convicted are dead.

As a MG owner myself, I endorse all you say and add that yes, even though the value of what I own would fall, I am not willing to preserve that value at the cost of my countrymen's liberty. I would gladly suffer a drop in my investment value if it meant increased liberty for all.

Why is it that so many non MG owners assume MG people are willing to sell out the rights of our kids for a few bucks lost in guns! Maybe those with a lot of money in MGs would be most able to take the loss and most willing Patriots to do so!

IF that somehow happened at the Federal level, and considering that we CAN NOT even buy an M1A Semi-Auto in Merry-Land, the MD Legislature would step in immediately and make NFA type weapons illegal for Merry-Land residents to buy, sell or transfer to other State Citizens... So things could become much worse... We get the Government that we have elected...66% of Merry-Landers voted AGAINST Trump & FOR Hilliary...

Who is to say this ending of the NFA does not also force out State laws on the subject? I mean its all a pipe dream at this point. Why not assume we are getting all our Freedom back!

You know - its not necessarily the stamp that annoys me, its the year wait. And for things like SBRs and MGs, its the stupid paperwork you need to submit to cross state lines for each destination address.

Like minimally, couldn’t we go through wait once and then when you have one, there is no wait.

Its not the stamp (thanks to inflation) or the wait that annoys me. Its the elimination of supply. Thanks to inflation the NFA had lost its teeth. However with a fixed supply of ever aging firearms, we have totally destroyed 2A for ever!

Don't apply logic to gun laws! The goal is not to make you take a background check that happens to takes 11 months. Its to discourage you from buying!

Hell, I'll pay the tax...it's the 11 months wait for a background check I've passed several times already that bothers me.

You know before the Obama runs on guns and suppressors, the average wait was about 3 months in the pre 2010 days.

I mean the whole topic is kind of a pointless one for now. Nothing is going to change. The Gun Control people have won this. Sure we have a few scraps left.... aging antiques better suited to a museum than the modern battlefield. Sure some don't understand this but 2A was lost in 1934 by my Great-Grandfather's generation. FDR took the Gold and the Guns in 1934 and we have not been the land of the free and the home of the brave since! We can talk about how wise our founders were, however its clear the depression era American's were not wise at all. We can talk about how dumb people are today but what excuse did those have back then when they knew and tasted freedom. Today we know and have become conditioned to the lack of freedom and responsibility. For now I think the NFA is safe because the Republican's will not work against it and the Dems have won 90% of the goal. I am sure when they put the final nail in the coffin, they will address this but I imagine that will be very late in the game as there is little need at this point.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    To compromise each side is supposed to give something, while something is received. I don't see our side receiving anything in any of the compromises that have occurred in the past.

I'm in the no compromise. F U, give me back what you took crowd. Unfortunately, my crows is so small and divided that it has to many individual voices that can easily be ignored by the other side.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    There is no compromise as gun control's object is the continued infringement of 2A until its gone. Sure there are many of us that would prefer less unconstitutional things be done... however comprise to these people means continued compromise until we having nothing left. We start with freedom on one side and total control on the other. Every compromise brings us closer to total control.

I have a compromise... anyone not allowed to buy a MG should be in jail or executed. Very simple compromise requiring zero gun laws. Anyone free, is free to buy a gun. People who did something minor wrong are in jail. Bad people who have been convicted are dead.

Why is it that so many non MG owners assume MG people are willing to sell out the rights of our kids for a few bucks lost in guns! Maybe those with a lot of money in MGs would be most able to take the loss and most willing Patriots to do so!

Who is to say this ending of the NFA does not also force out State laws on the subject? I mean its all a pipe dream at this point. Why not assume we are getting all our Freedom back!

Its not the stamp (thanks to inflation) or the wait that annoys me. Its the elimination of supply. Thanks to inflation the NFA had lost its teeth. However with a fixed supply of ever aging firearms, we have totally destroyed 2A for ever!

Don't apply logic to gun laws! The goal is not to make you take a background check that happens to takes 11 months. Its to discourage you from buying!

You know before the Obama runs on guns and suppressors, the average wait was about 3 months in the pre 2010 days.

I mean the whole topic is kind of a pointless one for now. Nothing is going to change. The Gun Control people have won this. Sure we have a few scraps left.... aging antiques better suited to a museum than the modern battlefield. Sure some don't understand this but 2A was lost in 1934 by my Great-Grandfather's generation. FDR took the Gold and the Guns in 1934 and we have not been the land of the free and the home of the brave since! We can talk about how wise our founders were, however its clear the depression era American's were not wise at all. We can talk about how dumb people are today but what excuse did those have back then when they knew and tasted freedom. Today we know and have become conditioned to the lack of freedom and responsibility. For now I think the NFA is safe because the Republican's will not work against it and the Dems have won 90% of the goal. I am sure when they put the final nail in the coffin, they will address this but I imagine that will be very late in the game as there is little need at this point.

Agreed, my comments were specifically oriented towards suppressors and SBRs but I agree by shutting off the supply for MGs, the prices went nuts. So nuts I’ll never own one unless i win the lottery or they are permitted by our rulers.

pdsmith505

Nov 18, 2014
    Is the Hughes Amendment an amendment to the NFA itself? As in would repeal of the NFA also take with it the Hughes Amendment?

The NFA established a registry and tax for certain items, to include MG's.

The Hughes Amendment closed the registry for new civilian legal MG's.

If the NFA was repealed, there would no longer be a registry. If MG's no longer have to be registered, it doesn't matter if the then non-existent registry was closed. The changes to the NFA created by the Hughes Amendment would be at the very least moot.

Reality is that the far more likely outcome of the elimination of the NFA would also include a concurrent outright ban (perhaps with grandfathering) of civilian ownership of machine guns. SCOTUS precedent (Heller) would support such a ban.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Serious question for you guys that have invested in MG's. Would you be in favor of ending the NFA restrictions on MG's so that they were cash and carry, like regular rifles? The plus: More freedom. More MG's. Lower prices. The downside (for you): your expensive investment is now worth ~10% of what you paid for it.

So, do you support ending NFA?

Yes. Yes, yes, yes, oh God, yes.

Sure some don't understand this but 2A was lost in 1934 by my Great-Grandfather's generation. FDR took the Gold and the Guns in 1934 and we have not been the land of the free and the home of the brave since!

This. The 1965 Immigration Act was simply the icing on the cake.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am going to be flat out unpopular for saying this, but NFA should stand. Hughs amendment done away with and everything on the NFA except machine guns and destructive devices should be removed from the NFA.

That’s about the only thing to to me makes sense to have more controls over them than a regular pistol or rifle. I have no issues with someone owning a rocket launcher or machine gun. Yes, I think there should be a bit more of a hoop to jump through, more waiting, etc.

If MGs and destructive devices really were over the counter purchases they would start being used in crimes and they would cause a lot more havoc then a regular gun would. NFA controls and they aren’t or are very rarely.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'm okay with it as long as I don't also have to deal with flocks of pigs darkening the skies ( or monkeys flying out of my butt).

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I voted yes for the end to NFA restrictions, but not the Bloomberg pipe dream of ending the NFA. However I don’t see the firearms community gaining any advances with all the current restrictions and political climate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom