• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Peacemaker (above winchester and below hagerstown) has LRC (low key, fun, belly match out to 1k+) on Sat Aug 3. Frontier Sunday (informal practice out to 1k+) on Aug 11. PRS match (mix of positional and prone shooting out to 1k+) on Sat Aug 24.

https://peacemakernational.com/events

great opportunities to get dope and practice.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    My goal is to make one of these! I think I've asked before but a bald eagle tripod ok for front rest,

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Speed, you can use a front rest/bipod/pretty much whatever at the LRC as it is all prone and relatively slow pace. The PRS events, you can use most gear but the clock will prevent you from using a lot of it in many stages. There are certain stages at PNTC where tripods are specifically disallowed but the general policy at their PRS/PRC matches is that you can have legs extended to the length of your preference (no pre-testing) but they must be collapsed together at the start of stage time.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    looking online, that bald eagle tripod rest looks pretty heavy, not sure you want to schlep that around the various stages vs a super lite and easily/quickly adjustable bipod. but should have no issues being able to use it at the LRC. you prob can use in PRS also but not real practical where you need to move and set up quickly, esp if you have bags etc you want to get in place. in both these matches, pretty much everyone uses a bipod for a front rest when going prone - attached, light, easy to adjust.

fyi i'm in squad 2 for lrc and 1 for prs, prob one of the few lefty's out there so should be easy to find.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Thanks, yes def only using the tripod for lrc actually still working on a load for fclass and will use this to test if I can. LRC is all prone? Various shooters positions or set up in one spot and bang steel?

PRS, I have a 6.5cm but not anload developed(no time in life right now). Could I shoot factory loads and be OK?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    LRC is all prone. generally five stages with 5 pieces of steel each at various distances and you get 3 shots at each to make a hit. this will be my first LRC this year but iirc, roughly half the squad hits the line and shoots at target 1, then 2, 3, 4 & 5, then the 2nd half does this, then the squad moves to the next stage. so plenty of time for notes, adjustments, seeing wind effects, etc.

if your rifle is zeroed and you have the factory load chrono'd and entered into a ballistics app, shouldn't have much if any problems. just note where you're hitting or missing and adjust accordingly for your next shots. not that i'm winning any matches, but all i shoot is factory (6.5 creed 147 hornady eld-m though i'm going to go back to 140 eld-m when the 147's run out).

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    LRC is all prone. generally five stages with 5 pieces of steel each at various distances and you get 3 shots at each to make a hit. this will be my first LRC this year but iirc, roughly half the squad hits the line and shoots at target 1, then 2, 3, 4 & 5, then the 2nd half does this, then the squad moves to the next stage. so plenty of time for notes, adjustments, seeing wind effects, etc.

if your rifle is zeroed and you have the factory load chrono'd and entered into a ballistics app, shouldn't have much if any problems. just note where you're hitting or missing and adjust accordingly for your next shots. not that i'm winning any matches, but all i shoot is factory (6.5 creed 147 hornady eld-m though i'm going to go back to 140 eld-m when the 147's run out).

Sweet I've got dope on the 147s put to 1250, but I put a new barrel on....I'll wing it lol.

Long walks? Bring a shooting cart?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    cart wouldn't hurt, all the heavy long range crap we have, but we're prob only walking 100 yds or so from parking area to furthest stage.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The club level PRS matches at peacemaker are not trooper class. You can drive pretty much everywhere (don't recommend bringing the Corvette, though, as the roads are dirt and ground clearance can really be your friend). Using factory ammo is just fine. Plenty of great stuff these days from Lapua, Berger, Federal, Prime, and Nexus. I know two guys that shoot nothing but Lapua Scenar factory loads. You might see some targets around 1MOA at a club level match (these will generally be prone) but most of the shots are 2MOA plus until you get to the Pro Series events. Even at a 2 day Pro Series, you generally see 2MOA or larger from the unconventional positions or any unsupported stuff, so don't sweat not having a load that will win the National Long Range title. Most folks are really cool about letting you use bags and gear if you are new to the game, too. That's the best way to decide what works for you and what isn't worth spending money on.

Show up and shoot.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    cart wouldn't hurt, all the heavy long range crap we have, but we're prob only walking 100 yds or so from parking area to furthest stage.

Rifle is 21lbs, plus rear 15lb+ rear bag add front rest....cart for sure !

Thanks I'll bring the truck.

I only have a bipod and rear bag, I'll just miss the targets in the the weird positions lol

How long do these take? I have out of town guests just remembered

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Speed,

If you are talking about shooting a single shot F-Open type rifle, you might want to stick to the LRC. The PRS events (google or youtube is your friend here) are rather active affairs and can be somewhat abrasive on your firearm. You will shoot of off fences, barricades, barrels, logs, concrete blocks, out of vehicles, and just about anything else you can think of. We tend to use a lot of bags and gear (if you mention that it is your first match, your squad mates will be offering you more toys to play with than you can imagine). While some of us favor heavy guns, the use of a detachable magazine system is almost a necessity now. I have shot events with a more traditional "BDL" style internal box mag but for real competition I use AICS or Accurate Mag detachable boxes. While PNTC doesn't normally force a lot of mandatory reloads during the stages (it does happen), you generally want a couple of mags. I favor two tens and two fives so that I can use the lower profile five rounders when it benefits me to do so.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I may try to get out to the Sept 8 Frontier Sunday. I just hope my Bushnell CONX LRF performs a bit better this time than it did at class - it was so bright and humid that it wouldn't really range as far as I needed it to. Maybe I'll bring a tripod this time.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Speed- the end time isnt set. it is usually done around 3 or 4 if it is a full match. If its half full (like in the dead of last winter) its usually a lot faster. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Erwos- sometimes steadying the unit will help. Sometimes they just don't want to do what they are advertised to do. I had a bushnell unit years ago (supposedly 850yd) that wouldn't ever bounce on a target past about 450. I went to Leica to match what my hunting partner uses and if I upgrade again it will be to Safran/Vectronix. I have gotten the opportunity to use Swaro and Zeiss binocular ranging equipment in the field and they are sweet, but I just prefer the smaller form factor of the monocular platform. I typically do not carry binos.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Thanks for posting this thread, it got me off my duff finally to do something I’ve been promising myself I’d do sooner rather than later, and I signed up in Squad 3. Looking forward to it, it will be my first LR competition & my first LR shooting outside of the great 2-day LR class I took (Ghost Precision @ Mifflin Co, PA). The relaxed atmosphere as has been described sounds perfect for a newbie to break in to a semi-competitive event. Couple of questions though, if it’s not too much trouble or bothersome:

1 - How far from the truck might we be from stage to stage? Is there food, drinks, snacks near the actual firing line? I’m bringing a full-size Coleman cooler in the truck bed but obviously won’t be humping that to and fro. I assume a small lunchbox-type cooler will work for a while but wouldn’t last from 9:00 to 4:00.

2 - How does the shooting actually work as far as the Squads go? All 5 squads at different stations, then rotate, like different foursomes on different golf holes? Or, do the later Squads wait for quite some time until all the Squads go before them, etc...?

Again, apologies if this is a nuisance, I’m trying to get my packs, chairs, coolers, etc...coordinated as intelligently in my mind as I can. I don’t want to hold the Squad up while I scramble to re-configure my gear that I carry back and forth.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Thanks 4g64, too much time away from home with out of town guest that we see once a year.

Enjoy guys. Albeight, all good questions. Normally I bring a pack to hump stuff around and throw a small cooler in there for food/drinks.

Shoot straight guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom