• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    I recently acquired a Remington '03 Ser. #3027xxx that has been sporterized. It has an 8-44 barrel with a very nice looking bore. Also has a Williams sight mounted to the rear of the receiver which has a really cool adjustable peep like a camera lens.

Should I leave it as is or is it worth the time and money to un-bubba the old girl and make her look right? And if so what is the correct stock for this rifle?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Depends on how bubba'd. Ive brought a few back but once the receiver is drilled its done. Barrels easiest is just bands and stock cut away, if its been resighted or shortened its a new barrel.

Gotta see the details.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    We sometimes overuse the term "Bubba." Not all conversions and sporterizations are Bubba jobs, and some are collectible in their own right. You might have something special.

Or it might be something Bubba trashed with a dull dremel while in a drunken fog one St. Patrick's Day...

Pictures, lad! We need pictures!

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    I will get some pics. It has a monte carlo style stock with a steel but plate and an 06 case head embedded in the pistol grip.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Threeband said first . Good quality, period correct mid century Sporters are a legit catagory in themselves .

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If it's done well I would leave it alone. The cost and effort to convert it back to military (parts, parkerizing, labor) is probably more than its resale value. Plus removing the Williams sight will leave the threaded holes will be a tip off it's been modified and reduce its value. If it looks good and is done correctly, probably makes for a great hunting rifle. Hope to see pics.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Figure on spending about $250 for a stock/HG set. Then another $125 for milled bands and band hardware (I'm assuming a Remington 1903, not a 1903A3). So you'd have around $400 in total with shipping. If you paid $300 or less for the sporter it's a project that will allow you to get all your money back down the road.
    I have to admit seeing some examples of vintage sporters that were beautifully done and would hesitate to change it. But if it's a hack job and all the damage is confined to the furniture then I'd give serious consideration to restoring it. Remington 1903s are not getting any cheaper out there!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    We sometimes overuse the term "Bubba." Not all conversions and sporterizations are Bubba jobs, and some are collectible in their own right. You might have something special.

Or it might be something Bubba trashed with a dull dremel while in a drunken fog one St. Patrick's Day...

Pictures, lad! We need pictures!

That's a good point, its unlikely but possible. Not sure about 03s but there were lots of companies doing sporter jobs in the 50s and 60s. Some mildly collectible.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Williams published a book "How To Convert Military Rifles" which included the 1903 Springfields my copy is dated 1969. It mentions Springfield prices at the time.
    The prices of the Springfields will, of course, depend on the condition and model of the rifle. Generally speaking, the low serial numbers sell for about $29.95; high serial numbers $39.95; and those with "C" type stocks at about $42.95.
    They then discuss various sight options, Trigger Guard and Floor Plate, Triggers, Safeties, Bolt Alterations, Scopes & Scope Mounts, Stocking The Springfield, Straps- Swivels, and Metal Refinishing.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Worst is when the receiver tang has been modified/enlarged to accommodate an aftermarket trigger.

The other thing is if the rear sight collar has been removed, sometimes they're hard to refit so they don't shift.

Sounds like a nice rifle as is, be nice to see it.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Don't think I will try to un-bubba this Springfield.

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpg
      IMG_2293.jpg
      78.2 KB · Views: 308

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    The pics have arrived. I was starting to think it looked ok, then Mawkie had to had to play show and tell! They are in an album since I can't seem to get links.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8HTKsDtQyKxhw8EV8

Also, I meant to post up pics of my other '03 but haven't, so here they are as well. This one came to me from my father via his late friend. I know it's a low #
    receiver but I'm going to shoot it. Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QMBhE1NYHZPAPmcP7

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    The pics have arrived. I was starting to think it looked ok, then Mawkie had to had to play show and tell! They are in an album since I can't seem to get links.

Also, I meant to post up pics of my other '03 but haven't, so here they are as well. This one came to me from my father via his late friend. I know it's a low #
    receiver but I'm going to shoot it. Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

me thinks you have one to many. sell me the sporter and I'll bring it back around :)

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    I would look upon this one as a prime candidate for classy sporterization. Replace the funky stock (I don't see how else to rid it of the weird shaped pistol grip), replace the Williams sight with a Lyman 48, and a fresh rust blue finish- and Voila, a classic Springfield sporter in the pre-war style.

If it has a Merit Adjustable Iris aperture in the sight, don't lose it. They are getting expensive, and they work beautifully.

As stated above, since it's already d/t'ed there's no point in trying for originality. What's done is done.

While not as bad as it could be, Bubba certainly had his hands on this one.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

The low number looks to be a put together with a 03A3 stock. I would rule out a rebuild in 31 because the rear sight collar and FS band doesn't look like armory work.
    Rear sight is a WWII replacement but done with what looks like a dished binding knob, cant tell a whole lot about the bolt because it's blurry in pictures, could be a 03 bolt, It does look like to have a 03/A1 striker due to the streamlined shape forward of the knob.
    Better pictures would help, deciding to shoot is up to you.

Between the two rifles you could put together a decent shooter. Selling the checkered butt-plate which could be off a M2 and milled bottom metal from one or the other would buy you the additional parts. A nice back sight is already done for you on the Remington and a sight collar is already there on the L/N.
    That leaves you with a L/N barreled receiver and a sported stock + a bunch of bits without the need to consider ammo or PPE problems for shooting, or at the very least trade/ sale fodder for other interests.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    me thinks you have one to many. sell me the sporter and I'll bring it back around :)
    You sound like a fella with a bucket of spare parts.:)

I would look upon this one as a prime candidate for classy sporterization. Replace the funky stock (I don't see how else to rid it of the weird shaped pistol grip)
    The stock is a little odd but I will tell you the trigger finger falls perfectly in that indentation. Who makes stocks for these?

If it has a Merit Adjustable Iris aperture in the sight, don't lose it. They are getting expensive, and they work beautifully.
    It does, first time I've ever seen one, that is a slick piece of gear. Would a Lyman 48 mount in the same hole as the Williams?

The low number looks to be a put together with a 03A3 stock. I would rule out a rebuild in 31 because the rear sight collar and FS band doesn't look like armory work.
    Rear sight is a WWII replacement but done with what looks like a dished binding knob, cant tell a whole lot about the bolt because it's blurry in pictures, could be a 03 bolt, It does look like to have a 03/A1 striker due to the streamlined shape forward of the knob.
    Better pictures would help, deciding to shoot is up to you.

Between the two rifles you could put together a decent shooter. Selling the checkered butt-plate which could be off a M2 and milled bottom metal from one or the other would buy you the additional parts. A nice back sight is already done for you on the Remington and a sight collar is already there on the L/N.
    That leaves you with a L/N barreled receiver and a sported stock + a bunch of bits without the need to consider ammo or PPE problems for shooting, or at the very least trade/ sale fodder for other interests.

I will take more pics of the bolt and sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom