• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    As mentioned in my introduction, I'm getting back into recreational shooting. This week I went to Prince George's Trap and Skeet Center and spent a few enjoyable hours there. It seems to be a nice facility and not too far away.

Clay shooting has changed a lot since I shot trap. I'm learning about new (to me) games such as wobble trap. I think I'm going to concentrate on that for the moment. Do clay shooters recommend concentrating on one type of game or mixing it up?

Jim

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I'm just a red neck clay shooter, not competition.

I mostly enjoy mixing things up.

My shooting buddy and I mostly shoot skeet but we mix in the occasional round of trap and sometimes sporting clays.

We shoot for fun, and but for some bad recently, try to shoot 2-3x monthly. The last few months, weather, health and life have upset the schedule.

If you're not competing, just do what's fun. Variety is good.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'm just a red neck clay shooter, not competition.

I mostly enjoy mixing things up.

My shooting buddy and I mostly shoot skeet but we mix in the occasional round of trap and sometimes sporting clays.

We shoot for fun, and but for some bad recently, try to shoot 2-3x monthly. The last few months, weather, health and life have upset the schedule.

If you're not competing, just do what's fun. Variety is good.

Good advice.

I know some uptight trap guys who won’t shoot anything else because they’re afraid it will ruin their trap game. They look like robots when they shoot. They say they’re having fun but it doesn’t look like it to me lol.
    OP once you start smashing them on wobble go back in the woods and try out some sporting clay stations.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    As a serious Skeetshooter and a casual shooter of all the other games, I would recommend trying them all out. They’re all fun. When I started (13 yrs old) there was only Trap and Skeet and there were only two trapshooters at my club, so I fell in with a bunch of Skeetshooters that were friendly. As time goes on you’ll figure out if you want to be serious about one of them. It’s next to impossible to be serious about all of them due to the amount of time and money involved.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Thanks for all the replies. At this point I'm not thinking about shooting clays competitively.

It seems like there are different versions of wobble trap. At the PG center they have it set up on a raised, level platform with five positions. The machine is below the stand. There was no attendant at the station when I shot last week; it's up to the shooter to operate it. Apparently they only have an attendant on weekends who runs the machine. So I'll go on the weekend to find out if they allow a second shot on the single and if the two pairs are true pairs or report pairs. Interestingly, they don't have their game rules printed.

Considering all your ideas, I think I'll concentrate on wobble trap until I'm consistent, then try the other games to see which I like best. Sporting clays seems to be the logical progression from wobble trap. And there's more variety from what I can tell. They have one course at the PG place.

@possumman, I might go over the PA border after I've got the hang of it closer to home.

Any other places close to Silver Spring that anyone likes?

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks for all the replies. At this point I'm not thinking about shooting clays competitively.

It seems like there are different versions of wobble trap. At the PG center they have it set up on a raised, level platform with five positions. The machine is below the stand. There was no attendant at the station when I shot last week; it's up to the shooter to operate it. Apparently they only have an attendant on weekends who runs the machine. So I'll go on the weekend to find out if they allow a second shot on the single and if the two pairs are true pairs or report pairs. Interestingly, they don't have their game rules printed.

Considering all your ideas, I think I'll concentrate on wobble trap until I'm consistent, then try the other games to see which I like best. Sporting clays seems to be the logical progression from wobble trap. And there's more variety from what I can tell. They have one course at the PG place.

@possumman, I might go over the PA border after I've got the hang of it closer to home.

Any other places close to Silver Spring that anyone likes?

Come on out to the AGC Range in Marriottsville, MD. We have Public Access Trap on Wednesday evenings starting at 6 and on weekends starting at noon. The cost is $6.00 per round of trap.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The wobble machine at PG won’t throw doubles. The sequence is a single, and then two report pairs at each station.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    As mentioned in my introduction, I'm getting back into recreational shooting. This week I went to Prince George's Trap and Skeet Center and spent a few enjoyable hours there. It seems to be a nice facility and not too far away.

Clay shooting has changed a lot since I shot trap. I'm learning about new (to me) games such as wobble trap. I think I'm going to concentrate on that for the moment. Do clay shooters recommend concentrating on one type of game or mixing it up?

Jim
    Clays shooting......

Skeet = Putting Green
    Trap = Driving Range
    Sporting Clays = Golf Course

And I too am a shotgun redneck.....

if it flies.........

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    @JamesCanby: Thank you for the invitation. I have a commitment Wed but Sat or Sun looks good. Can I pay there or do I need to buy tickets beforehand? I couldn't tell what forms of payment the AGC web site accepts.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    @JamesCanby: Thank you for the invitation. I have a commitment Wed but Sat or Sun looks good. Can I pay there or do I need to buy tickets beforehand? I couldn't tell what forms of payment the AGC web site accepts.

I haven’t shot Trap at AGC in quite awhile so I don’t know about the trap tickets.

Check out this link if you haven’t already. You can always call the office and ask what the options are.

https://associatedgunclubs.org/public_trap/about/

If you’re going to bring shells, make sure to read the pertinent range rules for the trap field

https://associatedgunclubs.org/about/range-rules-and-target-frame-info/#rangerules

Only shotguns firing a maximum powder load of 3 drams equivalent, shot size 7 1/2, 8 or 9, and a maximum muzzle velocity of 1200 fps are permitted. (C3)

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA

Just show up at the AGC Trap Range (enter AGC Lane off Marriottsville Road at the south end of the range area and come all the way up the hill). Find the Trap RSO (orange shirt) and tell him you'd like to participate in Public Trap -- he'll collect your $6 per round fee. Bring your own shotgun and ammo: #7 1/2, #8. or #9 shot, 1200 ft/sec or less (or you can buy it there).

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    The wobble machine at PG won’t throw doubles. The sequence is a single, and then two report pairs at each station.

FWIW, a guy there showed me that the wobble machine (or controller) can do following pairs. There's "A follows B", "B follows A", and something else which don't recall. I didn't experiment much since I didn't have many extra targets.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    @linkstate and @JamesCanby: Thanks for the AGC public trap information. I'm getting interested in joining one of the clubs to be able to participate in the other activities. There seems to be a lot of variety.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

Attachments

• 933EE8CB-77C0-43FE-9360-B450664BB231.jpg
      933EE8CB-77C0-43FE-9360-B450664BB231.jpg
      81.9 KB · Views: 182

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads