• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    I met Steve and Cindi at their home one night after hunting the Elms. Went to ask a simple question and ended up in a great conversation with two fantastic folks. First time another guy has complimented me on my attire, but Steve liked the ASAT leafy camo I was sporting.

One thing is for sure and that is that Steve and Cindi won't give up. I remember working with them several years ago on the issue of hunting at the Elms property. We were constantly battling the department of land use and St. Mary's Schools over the Environmental Education Center. Steve and/or Cindi were at every single meeting and it was priceless to see the government folks squirm at the logic and reason that those of us opposing them had to offer.

Good luck to you both, Steve. I look forward to visiting when this is all said and done.

ytmndan

Feb 14, 2017
    I went to the hearing last week. One board member expressed his concern with the size of the range and wanted Steve and Cindi to think of the children, as pistol lanes may not be long enough for children to shoot their rifles. I'm not even joking. The entire board seemed genuinely excited about the range, with the main concerns being that it may not be large enough to support the demand and that they hoped that they would expand to support longer range rifle targeting. I'm very happy that I went to the hearing and got to see what kind of things the Thomases have in store for the range.

Last edited:

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I went to the hearing last week. One board member expressed his concern with the size of the range and wanted Steve and Cindi to think of the children, as pistol lanes may not be long enough for children to shoot their rifles. I'm not even joking. The entire board seemed genuinely excited about the range, with the main concerns being that it may not be large enough to support the demand and that they hoped that they would expand to support longer range rifle targeting. I'm very happy that I went to the hearing and got to see what kind of things the Thomases have in store for the range.
    larger range would be great. but that's easy for me to say I'm not fronting monies . Good luck to them

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Is Cindi the woman who was showing new shooters around at the uspsa match on Sunday? If so, I'd gladly support her opening a range. Super nice and helpful.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Hello all!

Yes the Board of Appeals was a success! We received a unanimous "thumbs up" to proceed! We also discovered the county is as excited about this project as we are. They even suggested we go bigger! (simply cant due to cost at the moment...indoor ranges are NOT cheap) :)

One thing that really stood out from the Boards comments was the interest in training our youth. As most know that is a passion of ours and it was refreshing and reassuring to hear that expressed from officials from our area. We hope to not only focus on training youth but also women and families. Without a doubt our range/training center will be a family friendly facility.

So what's next? The BIGGIE - the Planning and Zoning Board. That will be the one that determines our fate. We will continue to inform and will pass that date along with the schedule is set. We will definitely ask for your support when that public meeting is scheduled.

And yes....that was Cindi at the match helping out for a while. She did not shoot because she had other commitments. You will find us at most of the USPSA matches at Sanner's supporting our great friend Chris Viverette and his efforts.

God Bless!

Steve

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    I met Steve and Cindi at their home one night after hunting the Elms. Went to ask a simple question and ended up in a great conversation with two fantastic folks. First time another guy has complimented me on my attire, but Steve liked the ASAT leafy camo I was sporting.

One thing is for sure and that is that Steve and Cindi won't give up. I remember working with them several years ago on the issue of hunting at the Elms property. We were constantly battling the department of land use and St. Mary's Schools over the Environmental Education Center. Steve and/or Cindi were at every single meeting and it was priceless to see the government folks squirm at the logic and reason that those of us opposing them had to offer.

Good luck to you both, Steve. I look forward to visiting when this is all said and done.

Hey stranger!
    Thank you for the kind words. You are correct....we will not give up. Hopefully we will have shovels in the ground this spring!
    Stop by sometime, we need to catch up!

Steve

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.

Thank you!

Steve

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Folks here's your chance to support our project!

Monday, March 13 2017 beginning at 6:30 PM we will present our Concept Site Plan to the Saint Mary's County Planning Commission in the Chesapeake Building, located at 41770 Baldridge Street, Leonardtown Md.

This is the biggie.....plain and simple. With the boards approval we can proceed with permits and building the range.

We would be honored to have your support!

Steve and Cindi

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Folks here's your chance to support our project!

Monday, March 13 2017 beginning at 6:30 PM we will present our Concept Site Plan to the Saint Mary's County Planning Commission in the Chesapeake Building, located at 41770 Baldridge Street, Leonardtown Md.

This is the biggie.....plain and simple. With the boards approval we can proceed with permits and building the range.

We would be honored to have your support!

Steve and Cindi

bump

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    We had our meeting with Planning and Zoning last night. For those of you that came out in support (and also contacted us), a heartfelt THANK YOU!

We started this venture in Dec of 2015. Now, after our big night........(can I drag this out any longer :) )......................we received a unanimous YES vote of approval! We are a go!

We are hoping to have a shovel in the ground this summer. Folks, much more to come!

Flat Broke Shooters Firearms Training Center is ALIVE! :)

Steve

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    We had our meeting with Planning and Zoning last night. For those of you that came out in support (and also contacted us), a heartfelt THANK YOU!

We started this venture in Dec of 2015. Now, after our big night........(can I drag this out any longer :) )......................we received a unanimous YES vote of approval! We are a go!

We are hoping to have a shovel in the ground this summer. Folks, much more to come!

Flat Broke Shooters Firearms Training Center is ALIVE! :)

Steve

FANTASTIC!!! I look forward to becoming a member.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    That is great news, it's ridiculous how hard it is to get the paperwork and approvals to use your property to run a business. I'm glad you guys have put in the time, effort and $'s to make this a reality. My family and I will be looking to become a member/student of the shooting center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom