• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Problem is soccer moms continue to buy from them each time their brats want new nike

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Btw. Haven't been in there since and used to spend a ton on golf and ammo(on sale)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Problem is soccer moms continue to buy from them each time their brats want new nike
    This is what I said clear back when this issue first came up. I knew that gun owners boycotting Dick's wouldn't have much discernible difference because we're not their target demographic when it comes to their business.

Dick's is centered mostly around youth sports - that's where the real money is. I'm not going to say that we didn't have any effect on it, but for them it was probably a calculated risk - there are quite likely anti-gun soccer moms who now shop specifically at Dick's BECAUSE of their corporate stance on firearms.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Sales are definitely off 3%-5%.

The reality is that with Trump in office gun sales are way down everywhere. My educated guess is gun sales were low margin at Dicks and they decided to get out for profitability reasons, but invented some spin as well. But gun and hunting sales were a small portion of the mix, and retail is doing poorly as it is.

They are circling the drain, but not due to poor gun sales , the larger issue is Amazon.

Part of what keeps this stock afloat is people to continue to believe the BS, but also down the road there is a chance of a merger or private equity buyout.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Hard to say how much the boycott is affecting them, but seems like they are making all the same decisions that every major retailer does as they head down the death spiral to bankruptcy. I won't buy anything from them, but have killed time there, and sometimes go to see something on display, before ordering it elsewhere. Their selection has been falling, loosing people that don't want to wait for shipping, more crap brands to loose enthusiasts looking for good stuff, prices have been climbing relative to others loosing the bargain shoppers, and there really haven't been any new marketing campaigns or products for years to bring in new customers. Hard to say if kids sport teams and moms looking for yoga pants is enough to keep them in buisness, but they are about all the customers they have left.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    While it may our may not affect dicks if you or I shop there, if it feels good to you it is ok. Years ago Pizza Hut fired a delivery for shooting a robber. I have not eaten a pizza from there in ask of this time. Thier pan pizza is the Bonn in my humble opinion and i miss it but f'em and it makes me happy. They have not seen any financial impact from my actions but you got to do what you got to do.

Nobody

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    While it may our may not affect Dick's if you or I shop there, if it feels good to you, it is ok. Years ago Pizza Hut fired a delivery guy for shooting a robber. I have not eaten a pizza from there in all of this time. Their pan pizza is the bomb in my humble opinion and I miss it, but f'em, and it makes me happy. They have not seen any financial impact from my actions but you've got to do what you've got to do.

Nobody
    I agree with this. Although I commented back then that our boycott of Dick's wasn't likely going to affect their bottom line much if any, I have still chosen to take my sporting goods business elsewhere for the same reasons as the rest of you. If they don't support the US Constitution/2nd Amendment, then they don't support the USA, and they do not deserve my business.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    As for stock performance, look at the first chart in post #1 and where Dick's was in 2017. Now look at this chart showing the performance of the S&P 500. Dicks tanked after their announcement on AR-15s and selling to those under 21. It has had slight improvement since then, but meanwhile the larger stock market has reached some of its highest values ever. It would appear to me Dick's is underperforming the larger market.

Attachments

• S&P 500 five year performance.jpg
      S&P 500 five year performance.jpg
      24.8 KB · Views: 439

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    You have to take a deeper look at Dick’s financials and their quarterly reports (as others have said in this thread). Their shareholders calls almost invariably get summed up with them begging for people not to sell, touting their wokeness, and mentioning the hilarity of their Field & Stream spinoff failure.

That last one to me can be at least be partially attributed to the boycotts. They had plans to expand massively into the “older, still shops retail, midwestern” demographic with a whole line of Field and Stream stores and it’s all but dead now. Their stock price hasn’t tanked bc people are holding with hopes of Dick’s drastically cutting stores and selling off the Field & Stream line to someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Every little bit makes a difference. I haven’t bought anything there since they went soft in the head and will not. When I go for a walk through FSK mall, I sometimes loop through there. I figure maybe that way I’m reducing their per customer sales figures. Ha!

MackM

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2018
    I will never again set foot in one of their stores. And I tell others to do the same at every opportunity.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    As for stock performance, look at the first chart in post #1 and where Dick's was in 2017. Now look at this chart showing the performance of the S&P 500.

That chart's x axis is not zero but something 1800, greatly exaggerating the decline.

And dicks declines don't really align with it its 2011 decision to stop selling AR in Dicks stores or with Parkland.

I'd like nothing better than to claim their decisions on stocking guns, working with the gun control lobby etc hurt them badly, but there is no evidence that that hurt or helped them.

It is entirely minor issued compared to the fact that amazon sells 95% of what dicks stocks, that Amazon sells it all for less, and that you can now get amazon to your door the same of the next day.

This is part of why Dicks has been moving towards apparel, where being able to try on apparel is a relative advantage to bricks and mortar retail. Dicks is outperforming big box retail. Retail exposed to online competition is generally getting hammered.

Look, I feel good about not shopping at Dicks anymore. I do hope there business tanks completely. But I don't see evidence that their position on guns is a real factor.

Robertjeter

May 11, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Hello all,

Is there another way to gauge a companies worth that may show a drop? Or are we such a small factor it doesn't even matter? Just sucks, I'm mostly just venting honestly, but would like to know I'm not alone in the fight, and hopefully are making a difference.

I wouldn’t ever judge a company by their stock price. The market is millions of buyers and sellers doing so for their own reasons. Its pure speculation.

An easy way to judge would be top-line numbers (sales/revenues) and you could dive deeper within their public filings to look by various department sales. I have put some of the top line data below. Revenues peaked in 2018 at $8.59 billion. They are projected to drop this year to $8.44 billion. Hard to determine why without a deeper dive into their earnings.

8ef4a6ffb445e9c25749291b668aabbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom