• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nfamouswun

Sep 17, 2018
    My dad passed away in 2015 in NJ. I inherited his firearms. I left them in NJ for the time being.

There are some rifle, shotguns, and handguns.

The ones that I'm not sure about are

SW 5906
    SW 586
    HighStandard M101
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S

I figure the handguns need to be registered via 77r without the need of a HQL?

My main concern is the Bushmaster XM15. Is it ok to have through inheritance?

What steps should i be taking?

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    According to the MSP licensing portal user's guide, an HQL is not required for inheritance transfers. I did two of them before getting my HQL.

You should also be ok with the XM15 as per exemption in Maryland Annotated Code:

4-302 (5) the receipt of an assault weapon or detachable magazine by inheritance, and possession of the inherited assault
    weapon or detachable magazine, if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault weapon or detachable magazine and the
    person inheriting the assault weapon or detachable magazine is not otherwise disqualified from possessing a regulated
    firearm

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I now remember the exception on the first page of Title 5 that says nothing in the title applies to inheritance so you are correct.

nfamouswun

Sep 17, 2018
    For the Bushmaster it says:

Assault Long Gun:
    You have indicated that the barrel length of this firearm is greater than 16 inches. Please be aware that this firearm does not meet the requirements of the Maryland Handgun Roster and that additional documentation may be required in order to proceed with the purchase of this firearm.

the option im assuming i select is :
    inherited assault long gun transferred to md ffl

Does that mean I can't just bring it to MD? I'd have to have it shipped through an FFL?

For the Bushmaster it says:

Assault Long Gun:
    You have indicated that the barrel length of this firearm is greater than 16 inches. Please be aware that this firearm does not meet the requirements of the Maryland Handgun Roster and that additional documentation may be required in order to proceed with the purchase of this firearm.

the option im assuming i select is :
    inherited assault long gun transferred to md ffl

Does that mean I can't just bring it to MD? I'd have to have it shipped through an FFL?

I am 97% sure inheritances don't need to go through a FFL. They do need a 77r for handguns. I am not sure about a now banned long gun. I'm guessing they would also be done on a 77r as they were pre 10/1/2013. This is not because MSP keeps records of who owns what firearms:innocent0 They would never do something like keep a database or registry:lol:
    There is a 3% chance I am wrong and we will know in 2 weeks.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    My dad passed away sept 22 last year and had left me all of his firearms in his will. He and I are both residents of MD. There were a plethora of firearms currently banned in the state thanks to FSA2013 I filed out the paperwork on the MSP website as inheritance, attached a copy of his will(not sure if that was required but I did it anyways), and within a few days I got the not disapproved from the state.

nfamouswun

Sep 17, 2018
    thanks for the help guys

i submitted my 77r and now i play the waiting game :P

side note:
    Remmington model 700 and a mossberg 500. I dont have to do anything for those right?

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    When I inherited my Grandfathers .38 I had to provide msp with a copy of the will signed by the executor, specifically stating that the revolver should pass to me. It was a pain in the ass. good luck op

nfamouswun

Sep 17, 2018
    just thought i'd update you guys.

I did the 77r separately for the Bushmaster AR15.
    submitted 9/18 - status not disapproved on 9/23

the handguns
    submitted 9/18 - status Initial Review Not disapproved on 9/20

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom