• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    If I ordered a complete upper assembly for the 762x39 is there anything MD legal I need to be aware of. Like Hbar or something stupid.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    They're not regulated in that caliber. (Or 300 Blackout either.) ASC mags are usually good.

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Alright so can you put a complete 762x39 upper on an ar15 complete lower.
    Can you legally buy a complete 762x39 ar without a hbar

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Is there anything required for the lower? I am reading a lot of stuff about light primer strikes. More powerful spring kit for the trigger?

Also any different buffer recommended?

I was just thinking about "what" I could do next.... :rolleyes:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    If you buy mags, since we are in MD, I would avoid the 10 round C Products magazines. I bought some 10 rounders off eBay, tried 2 different lowers, then 2 uppers, and had problems stripping rounds out of the mag. Bolt just flew over them. C Products sent me replacement mags, had same issues. No issues with my 20, and 30 rd ASC mags. I did end up tweaking the feed lips on the 10 rounders and got them feeding a little bit. The 10 rd CPD mags seem to use a 5.56 follower while their 20-28 rd mags use a 7.62x39 follower, as well as the ASC mags use the 7.62x39 follower.

Also, if you plan to shoot the cheap Russian steel case ammo, you may need an enhanced firing pin, or heavier hammer spring. My 7.62x39 uppers have been surprisingly accurate.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    I have been using CPD 10 rds and 28 rds mags, w/ no problem for a year or so now. The two-PSA 762x39 uppers have been flawless-almost 1000rds on one , w/ cheap Russian ammo. It is way more accurate than AK shooting same caliber.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Is there anything required for the lower? I am reading a lot of stuff about light primer strikes. More powerful spring kit for the trigger?

Also any different buffer recommended?

I was just thinking about "what" I could do next.... :rolleyes:

Don't get the stronger hammer spring you just end up with an unnecessarily heavy trigger pull.
    The problem is that AR's have less firing pin protrusion than AK's do.
    There are several places selling "enhanced" firing pins that increase the firing pin protrusion to AK spec. Problem solved.

I got mine from Red X Arms https://www.redxarms.com/product-p/938b.htm and that solved my Fail To Fire problems with Russian steel case ammo for good. Cheap and easy.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Don't get the stronger hammer spring you just end up with an unnecessarily heavy trigger pull.
    The problem is that AR's have less firing pin protrusion than AK's do.
    There are several places selling "enhanced" firing pins that increase the firing pin protrusion to AK spec. Problem solved.

I got mine from Red X Arms https://www.redxarms.com/product-p/938b.htm and that solved my Fail To Fire problems with Russian steel case ammo for good. Cheap and easy.

More firing pin protrusion- Doesnt this create a risk of slamfire or something?

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    More firing pin protrusion- Doesnt this create a risk of slamfire or something?
    If it it did every AK would slam fire.
    The problem with reliable ignition of Russian steel case x39 surplus ammo has always been the harder primers. The Russians had slightly more firing pin protrusion for a reason. Just one more thing learned on the road along with magazine construction to making a reliable X39 AR 15 shooting cheap Russian surplus ammo.
    It only increases it to mimic AK firing pin spec. for protrusion. Now if the firing pin was fixed "stuck" protruding beyond the bolt face then yeah that would mean a slam fire.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    If it it did every AK would slam fire.
    The problem with reliable ignition of Russian steel case x39 surplus ammo has always been the harder primers. The Russians had slightly more firing pin protrusion for a reason. Just one more thing learned on the road along with magazine construction to making a reliable X39 AR 15 shooting cheap Russian surplus ammo.
    It only increases it to mimic AK firing pin spec. for protrusion. Now if the firing pin was fixed "stuck" protruding beyond the bolt face then yeah that would mean a slam fire.

Gotcha.

Wait, I thought every AK did slam fire, until the mag was empty?? :lol2:

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    We must be doing something wrong on MDS. They can't get enough of 7.62x39 on my FB groups. They run flawlessly. No magazine issues, no firing pin issues...nothing. Thousands of rounds and not one malfunction. I don't know how they do it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I dont think so. FB is all ponies and unicorns and everything runs flawlessly all the time there.

real world (and Youtube), not so much. Mags are a notorious problem for AR 7.26x39. Getting the right ones are key. ASC mags supposedly work well, but then others not. May depend on the specs of the upper, or how it mates to the lower (there can still be slop in "milspec"). I have seen malfunctions on youtube, but not FB. I can see the light primer strike issue being a problem as well. Main #1` reason I have not bought /built a 7.62x39 AR is mags. We are mag restricted in MD and I would probably have to make a **** ton of trips out of state to find ones that work.

They came up with a 100% reliable solution to AR 7.62x39, its called 300 BLK. Same ballistics, in a cartridge that works for the AR.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I dont think so. FB is all ponies and unicorns and everything runs flawlessly all the time there.

real world (and Youtube), not so much. Mags are a notorious problem for AR 7.26x39. Getting the right ones are key. ASC mags supposedly work well, but then others not. May depend on the specs of the upper, or how it mates to the lower (there can still be slop in "milspec"). I have seen malfunctions on youtube, but not FB. I can see the light primer strike issue being a problem as well. Main #1` reason I have not bought /built a 7.62x39 AR is mags. We are mag restricted in MD and I would probably have to make a **** ton of trips out of state to find ones that work.

They came up with a 100% reliable solution to AR 7.62x39, its called 300 BLK. Same ballistics, in a cartridge that works for the AR.

ASC also makes ten round mags for these, in case you don't want to wait for your next road trip.

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    CMMG Mutant

I bought a CMMG Mutant in 7.62 by 39. I love that gun. It is amazingly accurate out to 200 yards using Brown Bear ammo. Some magazines work perfectly, others require some filing of the plastic on the sides to get them to seat properly. No last round hold open, dust cover, or bolt forward assist.
    I really do love that thing. After buying two different 7.62x39's (vs58, PTR32) it is definitely my favorite.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There are lots of reasons x39 AR's have ignition issues.

1) People use stupid Anti Rotation Pins

2) People use crappy aftermarket Triggers. Use a Standard FCG and Standard or XP Hammer Spring only, Geissele, or LaRue. No light springs, cassette triggers, or other aftermarket Triggers. None.

3) Insufficient F.P. Protrusion.

4) There is 2 headspace specs used for x39 AR's and even AK built in the U.S.

Most often the wrong one is used for AK's (Needs to be headspace with CIP H.S. Gauges). Excessive H.S. can create slop in the chamber that allows light strikes. Short Headspace can cause the bolt to not go 100% into battery which will cause light strikes.

5) If the Bolts and Firing Pins are magnetic they will pickup projectile debris from feeding and extracting on guns with marginal mahs, and ones that have rough feed geometry. This will lead to light strikes because the magnetic debris cause issues when the gun gets hot.

Other issues are companies that is .308 spec bores for the barrel instead of barrels with the proper bore. This bumps up chanber pressure and leads to chambering and extraction issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom