• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    "completely interchangeable" means exactly that, not limited to the receiver. Including op rod, piston, etc. Completely. Interchangeable.

They use a 17" barrel and use a "modified Garand stock." You can mix and match parts and create a FrankenGun not interchangeable with either. Ask yourself, why the modifed Garand stock? With the shorter barrel is the op rod shorter? Id guess it is.

In any case the modification to the stock likely meand you cannot put this back together as a banned rifle.

Now the only way to actually test this is to take one to a gunsmith with a BM59 or whatever and check. MSP does not do this, they just guess.

The shorter barrel alone might be enough because you dont have room for gizmos like the grenade launcher.

btw, dont quote me, but I think I recall Schuffs bends their op rod. Cant put that in another gun. Not interchangeable. Also, I thought BM59 is select fire. So there is that difference too. lol

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It's only BS if your livelihood and freedom from incarceration are not an issue. Google Sanford Abrams. His sale of a banned firearm went terribly wrong. His was an extreme case but why take the chance? I'd like to read that letter. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that the guidelines for banned weapons is based somewhere in law. You may want to check out § 5-101(r)(2) of the Public Safety Article and their copies. They could be overextending but they wear guns and a badge. Do you want to be the test case? Not me. They already banned the James River Rockola M14. Same scenario. New made receiver with new made M14 parts that will interchange with an M14/M1A. Looks black and white to me but maybe I'm misinformed. I have been led astray before. Again, just sayin'...

This might be the longest interval between joining and posting in the history of this forum, and then to come out and defend that Sandy Abrams? He got off easy.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    It's only BS if your livelihood and freedom from incarceration are not an issue. Google Sanford Abrams. His sale of a banned firearm went terribly wrong. His was an extreme case but why take the chance? I'd like to read that letter. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that the guidelines for banned weapons is based somewhere in law. You may want to check out § 5-101(r)(2) of the Public Safety Article and their copies. They could be overextending but they wear guns and a badge. Do you want to be the test case? Not me. They already banned the James River Rockola M14. Same scenario. New made receiver with new made M14 parts that will interchange with an M14/M1A. Looks black and white to me but maybe I'm misinformed. I have been led astray before. Again, just sayin'...

I get what you're saying. I just remember a thread not long ago talking about that banned firearms list not being legally binding. I have the letter saved on my phone but can't attach it here.

hhs66

Mar 25, 2010
    [This might be the longest interval between joining and posting in the history of this forum, and then to come out and defend that Sandy Abrams? He got off easy.]

Perhaps you misread my post. I am NOT defending Abrams. I merely pointed out the fact that he sold a banned firearm to someone that probably ruined his life and cost him some serious dough. As for not looking at or posting on the board, most posters whine more than my daughter. I can do without that.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The original link is to Atlantic Firearms. They sell the weapon in question.

As for Sandy Abrams, here's a short write up of the end of the trial.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2008-01-15/news/0801150114_1_abrams-assault-rifle-weapons

Thanks! Moral of the story, keep records, do the 77r or 4473, dont have illegal machine guns in your house.

Selling a banned weapon to a felon ala Abrams probably falls under "in for a penny, in for a pound"

Dont think it has any bearing on the James River rifle whatsoever.

Interesting that Rod Rosenstein was the prosecutor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom