• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    hey guys,

I'm looking to get my very own first AR, and I need help deciding on what to get. So far, i like the Ruger AR-556, Colt 6721, Smith & Wesson MP 15-22. However, since MD has a very strict law on rifle, my options are very limited.

Is there a list of all MD compliant rifles available for purchase, the markets value, and what vendor is good to purchase?
    What is it you like about the ones you listed? I bought my first one after going to a gun show and seeing a bunch, and talking to the vendors.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Ditto the Colt recommendations, but either of the cited options will do ya. Also, if you're purchasing from an FFL (established/licensed firearm dealer), they'll be able to guide you through the maze of gun laws and should only sell what's [Maryland] legal anyway.
    Happy hunting (figuratively speaking)!!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    hey guys,

I'm looking to get my very own first AR, and I need help deciding on what to get. So far, i like the Ruger AR-556, Colt 6721, Smith & Wesson MP 15-22. However, since MD has a very strict law on rifle, my options are very limited.

Is there a list of all MD compliant rifles available for purchase, the markets value, and what vendor is good to purchase?

The S&W MP 15-22 isn't really an AR. It's a .22 cal. look-alike. I think you mean an M&P 15. Any-hoo, like I said before, any AR sold in Md is Md legal. Don't know your local, but if you're in north-central Md, look in the IP section here at JLowe guns. All Md legal guns at a decent price.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    I'll take a stab at mind reading the OP , reading backwards from his initial choices implying a price range and current market conditions subject to ongoing change :

Windham HBC - $599-ish. Decent rifle, good value.

Colt 6721 - $799-ish Decent rifle, the yardstick everything else is judged by . The word "Colt" on the side is worth minimum of $200 in resale value

LWRC DI - Currently sale priced just over $1000 - Top shelf premium rifle, currently on blowout savings for a screaming deal.

Built to your spec - Several IP's , most notably Engage Armament and Blue Fins, build rifles under their own name, and cam make one to your desired specs/ price point . Talk to them with your general desires and budget, and they will give you multiple options.

Where is this 1k LWRC rifle at?!

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Stag for price point and decent quality as well. Also support sales here by configuring for MD which is trypically HBAR and a 10rd Magpul

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Don't forget, depending on OP's age that you must be 21 to buy a stripped lower correct? So if OP is 18-20 he can't really build a rifle from scratch without buying a rifle and stripping it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    If you can get the LWRC for $1000 that is the ticket. It is perfect out of the box and is a shooter. I have AR's from Colt, BCM, Noveske, DD, and a few I built from scratch. The LWRC goes to work with me every night. With the fluted barrel it does not feel like an HBAR.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Don't over look the Windham Weaponry HBC (HBAR) that is legal in MD. My choice would either be this or the Colt 6721!

I have the Windham Weaponry HBAR as well as acquiring their SRC prior to October 2013. Both are equally nice rifles. I picked up the HBAR as a home defense rifle as I was tired of my heavier Remington 870 12 gauge, but did a few 100 yard sessions with it. Good engineering...

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    You AR guys are the worst I've been watching this thread I looked at the windham and Ruger for my pockets. Then y'all convinced me to get the colt. Now between my coworker and y'all the lwrc seems like a winner even tho it's not in my preplaned budget. So 1600 don't sound too bad does it? Lwrc and a Ruger for my brother lol..but that's how much a Bren cost..Did the OP decide yet what he's getting? I'm just getting into ARs. And knowing eventually I want to build my own(don't have time or patience for proper research right now). I don't want to get a couple and stuck doing trades and selling. I "think" I would only have 2 ARs. One for me to learn what I like then build the other. There's a whole other world of guns I'm also throwing money into lol

Last edited:

Ports

Aug 11, 2014
    I always advocate for HKs so you can do the HK MR556. Great piston AR platform. It's expensive but built like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You AR guys are the worst I've been watching this thread I looked at the windham and Ruger for my pockets. Then y'all convinced me to get the colt. Now between my coworker and y'all the lwrc seems like a winner even tho it's not in my preplaned budget. So 1600 don't sound too bad does it? Lwrc and a Ruger for my brother lol..but that's how much a Bren cost..Did the OP decide yet what he's getting? I'm just getting into ARs. And knowing eventually I want to build my own(don't have time or patience for proper research right now). I don't want to get a couple and stuck doing trades and selling. I "think" I would only have 2 ARs. One for me to learn what I like then build the other. There's a whole other world of guns I'm also throwing money into lol

Not much research needed. Get a good lower, like one from Engage Armament. Then start getting parts. Make sure you have an idea of what you want it to look like and what you want it to be capable of, before you buy parts. It really isn't that hard, once you start narrowing down the choices or have a master plan to follow.

Every AR I have built for personal use has started out with a basic picture in my head of what I want it to look like, but I keep it flexible. From there I wanted decent accuracy, so I picked up good parts. In the end, I assembled the rifle I wanted, so it looked the way I wanted it to, with the parts I wanted. I also saw sub-MOA for accuracy too! So the simple truth is that I got everything I wanted, with no compromises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom