• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    To all of those in the RIA 1911 .45 group buy; pay attention to Chad and Mike on this one as both know what they are talking about here. I'm going to replace/upgrade the grips on mine with at least that of the "glued on kitty litter type" as this will be a tremendous improvement over the original grips. Most likely the mags will be upgraded as well. Other than that, just shoot the sh!t out of it and have fun.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

mprubin

Jan 15, 2009
    Good Thread

This is a really useful thread, especially for someone like myself where virtually all my handguns are C&R so sight changes not somethink I've ever looked at seriously. Also, this will be my first 1911.

Am I wrong, I thought the RI Tactical had a bottom rail and I was thinking of putting a green laser on to help my old tired eyes with their limited depth of field making it hard to focus on both sight and target.

I've looked at a few grips. For almost nothing you can get a Pachmayr that's half wood and a front rubber finger grove wrap around. My hands aren't huge and this seems a possible solution on the cheap. Right grip will need a slight dremel (or my rotozip) inlet for the ambi safety.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    This is a really useful thread, especially for someone like myself where virtually all my handguns are C&R so sight changes not somethink I've ever looked at seriously. Also, this will be my first 1911.

Am I wrong, I thought the RI Tactical had a bottom rail and I was thinking of putting a green laser on to help my old tired eyes with their limited depth of field making it hard to focus on both sight and target.

I've looked at a few grips. For almost nothing you can get a Pachmayr that's half wood and a front rubber finger grove wrap around. My hands aren't huge and this seems a possible solution on the cheap. Right grip will need a slight dremel (or my rotozip) inlet for the ambi safety.

The Tactical does not have a rail, but RIA has a new model coming out with a full rail, Bomar sights, and a Bull Barrel (Reverse Recoil Plug and no Bushing).

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    What is everyone doing with this Pistol?

I'm drooling over the suppressor/class 3 habit. I don't have any cans yet, but everything I've been buying lately has been considered in light of how well it would do as a Suppressor host.

That said, I'd like to hear those knowledgeable about it chime in about how suitable this 1911 is as a host...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

I'm drooling over the suppressor/class 3 habit. I don't have any cans yet, but everything I've been buying lately has been considered in light of how well it would do as a Suppressor host.

That said, I'd like to hear those knowledgeable about it chime in about how suitable this 1911 is as a host...

1911's are flaky Suppressor Hosts. They can be made to run but I dont advise a person who wants cheap or drop in to get good results. If you get a can to suppress a 1911 get one WITH A LCD/Booster.

You need tall sights, a threaded barrel and bushing fit to the gun, and the gun needs a full spring set to find what springs the gun needs to run.

For a mid priced barrel get a storm lake threaded model, and for the barrel bushing get a Briley spherical model.

Heine makes tall sights to clear the suppressor.

The gun should at a minimum have a good opened up ejection port, a good extractor (EGW), and a full reliability job.

StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co

why put a supressor on it?

My goals are more modest. Replace the grips, a new slide ( jsut for the heck of it) , maybe a red dot ( if i can afford it) .

carpentermatt

Feb 9, 2009
    The Tactical does not have a rail, but RIA has a new model coming out with a full rail, Bomar sights, and a Bull Barrel (Reverse Recoil Plug and no Bushing).

Anybody know when these are supposed to be available? In pictures the gun looks pretty sweet.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    One question, will MD require the gun to be resubmitted to the board or will they just consider it a variation of an existing handgun?

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    why put a supressor on it?

Well how about because I can, because Can's are awesome, or to quote I think it was Sir Edmund Hilary, because its there.

the honest answer to the question is that I've got the suppressor bug.

but. what I was looking for is the answer to Why not?
    I think Chad answered that question pretty good.

I know the 1911 was suppressed in US clandestine service, but I don't know much more about it other than it had a slide lock that allowed the shooter to turn on or off the noise of the slide cycling. I read about it a decade ago allways wanted to see that.
    I just think it would be cool

Last night I internet surfed the SWR H.E.M.S. II, AAC's TI Rant .45, YHM's Cobra M2 .45 and KAC's .45 suppressor.

I saw right away that 1911's are squirrely with cycling, but I still think it would be cool.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    The gun should at a minimum have a good opened up ejection port, a good extractor (EGW), and a full reliability job.

This

Plus

this
    Just a heads up guys/gals, Im caught up on all but a few backlogged guns at Scotts. I wont be taking in any more work and I wont be there on Saturdays anymore. Last weekend was my last day there. Ill be there on some off hours to finish the last 35 or so guns I have to complete.

Ill miss the job but I have to move on to better things for my family.

Sincerely,

Chad Albrecht

Equals this

:(:banghead::(:banghead::(

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Well how about because I can, because Can's are awesome, or to quote I think it was Sir Edmund Hilary, because its there.

the honest answer to the question is that I've got the suppressor bug.

but. what I was looking for is the answer to Why not?
    I think Chad answered that question pretty good.

I know the 1911 was suppressed in US clandestine service, but I don't know much more about it other than it had a slide lock that allowed the shooter to turn on or off the noise of the slide cycling. I read about it a decade ago allways wanted to see that.
    I just think it would be cool

Last night I internet surfed the SWR H.E.M.S. II, AAC's TI Rant .45, YHM's Cobra M2 .45 and KAC's .45 suppressor.

I saw right away that 1911's are squirrely with cycling, but I still think it would be cool.

You can take an EGW Safety and modify it for a slide lock, but you have to disable the safety, it functions only as a slide lock.

For a Suppressor I prefer the SWR HEMS II

This

Plus

this

Equals this

:(:banghead::(:banghead::(

:lol2:

My Mentor Scott is more than capible to do the work you need my friend. He taught me what I know, and is a true Master Gunsmith....Im just a Gunsmith.

Mr H

Banana'd

All I'm doing so far?

Got it a nice 'blankie'... Bianchi "Special Agent" from packinheatleather.com

Hogue checkered rubber grips (in 'Pewter'), and I'll take it from there

Mags will be next, at some point... don't know enough to choose, yet

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom