• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    I enjoy collecting historical firearms, but I also enjoy researching the history of the firearms themselves. Usually this is not possible. The history of individual weapons (or whole shipments) tends to wash away with the sands of time. There are notable exceptions, Finnish Mosin-Nagants with stock discs, hang tags, and Civil Guard District numbers come to mind, but these can be a dead end often as well. The most difficult task to accomplish from a historian's perspective is to establish a connection between a piece of history and the individual whom used it.

My historical blathering aside, this M1 Garand was made by International Harvester Corporation (IHC). For those that are not Garand collectors, International Harvester produced M1 Garands in the 1950's after demand rose because of the Korean War. International Harvester was an odd choice for Garand production, possessing no prior firearms manufacturing experience. The historical consensus for their selection seems to be that they simply were not in the northeastern United States. Fears of Soviet nuclear strikes caused a rethinking of traditional firearms sources due to their close proximity (Springfield Arsenal and Winchester were less than 75 miles apart). Without writing an article, International Harvester encountered repeated hurdles and setbacks during their production. Whether or not they were truly "inferior" rifles is open to debate, but a large percentage of them ended overseas as foreign aid (Turkey and Greece being major recipients).

This is where we pick the story of this particular rifle. It came in with the first shipment of Turkish Garands (supposedly from the Turkish Navy) several years ago. This particular rifle retains all original IHC marked parts. For the historians like myself, it also included something even more interesting. Inside the buttstock was a note in Turkish detailing the sector, presumably near a border area, where the rifle saw service. The note reads (translated by a friend of mine who speaks better Turkish than myself):

"Dear fellow soldier, you are in the easiest unit of the regiment and this is a quiet place. Make yourself at home and if you want to eat come through the rear of the building Karsyakali Grandpa. Dont worry about your stay."

Additionally, the rifle has a Turkish a modified Mauser bayonet with it. The Turks, if nothing else, were incredibly resourceful and reused bayonets multiple times. It is possible to find a Turkish model 1890 bayonet that was altered in 1935 to fit their standardized production Mauser, that was then modified again to fit their M1 Garands. This involved slight modifications to the pommel and either a spacer being fitted to the ring or the ring being snapped and reformed with a smaller diameter. This well-worn example exhibits the former process.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_4874.jpg
      IMG_4874.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 1,025
    • IMG_5047.jpg
      IMG_5047.jpg
      63.5 KB · Views: 1,164
    • IMG_5046.jpg
      IMG_5046.jpg
      112.3 KB · Views: 1,053
    • IMG_5041.jpg
      IMG_5041.jpg
      115.7 KB · Views: 1,003
    • IMG_5042.jpg
      IMG_5042.jpg
      130.8 KB · Views: 1,265
    • IMG_5038.jpg
      IMG_5038.jpg
      167.6 KB · Views: 1,022
    • IMG_5037.jpg
      IMG_5037.jpg
      212.3 KB · Views: 1,013
    • IMG_5033.jpg
      IMG_5033.jpg
      191.9 KB · Views: 960
    • IMG_5029.jpg
      IMG_5029.jpg
      164.9 KB · Views: 974

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    That particular M1 receiver was supplied to IH by Springfield Armory to help get production going. The markings are referred to as the "postage stamp" by collectors. There's a couple of other markings found on IH M1 rifles...the "gap letter" and "arrowhead" and maybe one other. M1 collecting is fascinating because of the many variations in parts during the production run. M1903 is just as fascinating but I doubt if any can compete with the M1 Carbine for variations...more than ten prime contractors and untold subcontractors and variations within manufacturers. It's likely near impossible to have a complete set of Carbines of all the variations.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That particular M1 receiver was supplied to IH by Springfield Armory to help get production going. The markings are referred to as the "postage stamp" by collectors. There's a couple of other markings found on IH M1 rifles...the "gap letter" and "arrowhead" and maybe one other. M1 collecting is fascinating because of the many variations in parts during the production run. M1903 is just as fascinating but I doubt if any can compete with the M1 Carbine for variations...more than ten prime contractors and untold subcontractors and variations within manufacturers. It's likely near impossible to have a complete set of Carbines of all the variations.

Which is what makes me earn. My M1 carbine is all inland all the way based on the markings I can find on every part and also to the best I can tell it is all as manufactured without any replacement parts. Never arsenal refinished.

Except it was missing the rear sight. :sad20:

It shoots fine. Barrel looks good and when I had a 4x scope on it (it came with a scope rail in place of a rear sight) I could do 2.5MOA groups at 100yds with good ammo. Still sad about the sight (it has a later war reproduction peep sight on it now, even though the flip would’ve accurate for the manufacture date).

Airbornetrooper, that is a fine looking Garand and neat info to go with the rifle.

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    That’s a wonderful find. Is the stock original?

Sorry for the delay in responding, was on TDY. As far as I can tell it is. I know that IHC Garands had the Julian date stamped in the barrel channel, and this example has that. I'm unsure if there is a way to verify beyond that.

Attachments

• IMG_6274.jpg
      IMG_6274.jpg
      76.7 KB · Views: 573

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I had a similar note although mine was more vulgar .

One side said "If I ever re enlist stick this rifle all the way up my a**". The other side had directions to hookers and a good meal....

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Beautiful rifle! I have a WRA M1, serial number makes it an early 1943 production. I specifically wanted a Winchester, because I wanted one that was made for WW2. These serial number range means that this rifle, or one made at the same time, was carried at the same time my uncle carried a Garand in the Italian Campaign where he lost his leg. I can't imagine lugging this thing across Europe though... Its heavy and tires me out carrying it up the hill from Hap Baker!!!

Its a Frankenstein though, has a 1943-1944 era SA stock, a SA trigger, HRA bolt and a replacement barrel. Very fun rifle to shoot. It always attracts attention at the range when I take it out... because they are gorgeous weapons and because the 30-06 round is quite a bit louder than most other rifles at the range!

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Beautiful rifle! I have a WRA M1, serial number makes it an early 1943 production. I specifically wanted a Winchester, because I wanted one that was made for WW2. These serial number range means that this rifle, or one made at the same time, was carried at the same time my uncle carried a Garand in the Italian Campaign where he lost his leg. I can't imagine lugging this thing across Europe though... Its heavy and tires me out carrying it up the hill from Hap Baker!!!

Its a Frankenstein though, has a 1943-1944 era SA stock, a SA trigger, HRA bolt and a replacement barrel. Very fun rifle to shoot. It always attracts attention at the range when I take it out... because they are gorgeous weapons and because the 30-06 round is quite a bit louder than most other rifles at the range!

if you don't mind, what's a gun like that cost, in that condition? are they still sub-1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom