• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Good to know. I'll be sure to avoid Amish goods and labor.

It's just a different culture. They aren't running around looping off non-believers' heads. I am not condoning animal abuse what so ever, whether it be livestock, pets or wild animals. We all must respect living creature.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    It's just a different culture. They aren't running around looping off non-believers' heads. I am not condoning animal abuse what so ever, whether it be livestock, pets or wild animals. We all must respect living creature.

Understood, they're not ISIS. I hold dogs in particularly high regard, so I'm sensitive to the issue I guess.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Understood, they're not ISIS. I hold dogs in particularly high regard, so I'm sensitive to the issue I guess.

And rightly so IMO. I have been faced with situations where I might have been forced to shoot a dog including a pitbull that was aggressing me. Never took the shot.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I would like to think there is a special place in Hell for the folks that will shoot a domesticated animal.

If there is I have no problem with going there.

If someone's cat is constantly in heat around my house, spraying and crapping in my landscaping, laying on my vehicles, and killing every small furry creature in my yard I got no problem offing it. It is not supposed to be roaming the neighborhood as the norm. Same goes for a dog, I shouldn't have to carry a bat or large knife to walk down my driveway to put the trash out at night, or watch my back while in my open garage so the neighbors dog doesn't bite me.

I once had a neighbor where the lady even asked me to shoot their dog with my bow because he husband was a tool about controlling the dog. It would stalk everybody in the immediate area and try to bite you and it sh.. in everybody's yard. The neighbor across the street had a pit mix that got out a lot and was very aggressive, trapping people in their cars and houses when loose. The repeated AC visits and fines didn't do the trick. Them moving solved the issue.

As with anything there are circumstances that warrant extreme measures. Of course just shooting it to shoot it or the dogs simply got out of the house or gate by accident and are not aggressive are not good reasons.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I just don't think I could ever shoot an 11 month old puppy, without being attacked or seeing signs of rabies. I just can't wrap my head around this.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Daughter's bf got his dog from Amish . The puppies had a place for them built in a converted coop, the parent dogs had run of the farm. They primarily have ( another type of business) with people in and out, so wasn't just window dressing.

Amish horses do get treated like farm equipment, not pets. But that's no different than any pre- Jonh Deere era farm.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Our Boxer came from an Amish breeder. Referred by a highly regarded online service. Conditions pretty much as described. In the first 24 hours he presented us with a belly full of intestinal worms, we found out his shot records were modified at best, completely falsified at worst, thier vet had no record of ever seeing the puppies.

To thier credit, the referral service, forced a reimbursement of all vet expenses and removed the breeder from their service. PA Department of Ag apparently shut them down.

Why didn't we return him? Try telling a 14 year old Autistic kid his pup has to go back.

At the vet the day after we got him...
    And all dressed up for his second birthday.....
    fb1839120b0bda5653869a301b62969f.jpg
    4f96908364e1e33dd61f7d4ee638ca53.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom